[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mass production of art.

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: func_comic_24_en.jpg (268KB, 1200x860px) Image search: [Google]
func_comic_24_en.jpg
268KB, 1200x860px
What's the best way to handle multiple paintings or comic pages /ic/?

Supposing that you are commissioned to make 7 or 8 full color comic pages
>Do you start them all at the same time?
>Do you fully complete a page before even starting the next one?
>Do you ____ all the pages at the same time? (Inking, blocking, sketching, coloring).

I'm pulling my hairs out. I feel so stressed right now. And when googling for help I found the Zeigarnik effect.

>If we don’t finish a task, there’s mental tension. This mental tension keeps the unfinished task more prominent in our memory, whereas completion of the task provides closure, and a release of the tension. This is what is known as the Zeigarnik Effect.

Having incomplete tasks and works produces a lot of stress, so I'm thinking that the solution would be simply to work in only one single panel at the same time and not starting anything else until this panel is completed 100%. But I have never heard of of other artists working like this.

Well /ic/, how do you handle it?
>>
>>2877656
>If we don’t finish a task, there’s mental tension. This mental tension keeps the unfinished task more prominent in our memory, whereas completion of the task provides closure, and a release of the tension. This is what is known as the Zeigarnik Effect.
>tfw haven't finished a ton of stuff
>still have yet do be done
Does this mean I have a shit load of tension and I'm absolutely fucked?
>>
File: 1443149634965.jpg (26KB, 542x650px) Image search: [Google]
1443149634965.jpg
26KB, 542x650px
>>2877659
Same. Right now I'm procrastinating hardcore on some things I don't know how to change this.

There is that saying "When you want to forget something, write it down" so I guess that unfinished ideas really do stick more to the brain than completed ones.

I guess the next time I start a project I'll forbid myself from sketching more than one panel at the time and see what happens.
>>
i am also interested in knowing about comic work flow. like how many pages should i start at a time, should i story board all of them first then draw them or what. and how many should i be working on at a time and all that
>>
1) read all the script
2) make storyboard of all pages
3) do as you like complete all the pencils or complete one page at a time etc.
>>
>>2877656
>Well /ic/, how do you handle it?
Divide and conquer. This link is about writing, but the same principle applies: http://www.advancedfictionwriting.com/articles/snowflake-method/ Write one sentence describing what you want to draw, expand that to a paragraph, then a page. From there you can have an idea of the scenes, what characters are in them, the mood, etc. Keep a list (or spreadsheet) of these, as they basically tell you what you have to draw at this point. You should have at least a few pages worth of drawings you can roughly block in now. Now you have some tangible stuff to play with, you can think about how your drawings compare to the scenes you're trying to convey, and you can start adding new scenes with your current drawings in mind. I don't do comics, but starting with the general idea and expanding it to specifics can take you from a simple idea to how you should execute individual pen strokes.
>>
File: CigPDQmUgAAPEkc.jpg (100KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
CigPDQmUgAAPEkc.jpg
100KB, 600x800px
>>2877672
I stalk japanese artists and it seems like majority has a loose script in the beggining.

But after that it's different for everyone. Some work at one panel at the time like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AghDxi1_Gk8

Others focus on a single aspect at the time but work on multiple pages, like only characters, then only backgrounds, then only bubbles, etc.
>>
Do directors make a movie by shooting each scene one after the other chronologically , after reading the script?
Do writers write a book page after page from beginning to end perfectly?

No. Before a movie is shot a storyboard or animatic is made, so that the director can figure out what is the best way to tell the story. And, usually, writers write an outline and plan elaborately to make sure everything works properly together to make the best story possible.

So, you should the same for a comic. You have your story, but that's not enough. You have to tell it as well as possible. Think about framing, composition, action, character expressions, etc., etc.

If you need to tick off things:

- 1st draught: rough sketches of entire chapter or entire comic.
- 2nd draught: optimize: does it tell the story clearly? Will the reader know what's going on, or be able to recognize character emotions?
- 3rd/final draught: purely cosmetic: polish pencilwork to have enough detail for inking
- inking
- coloring
- lettering
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.