[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Publishing work in an appropriate/effective way.

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: self-publishing.png (191KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
self-publishing.png
191KB, 600x600px
I'm trying to publish a wide-format series (minimum image width 1440) in the manner typical of any comicbook, manga, webcomic, etc. - by which I mean "first, previous, next, latest" buttons, an archive page and whatever other simple stuff you'd expect to find. I'm going to publish at regular intervals so scheduling posts in advance is a plus.

I was told to throw a "web comic theme" on a tumblr page to get what I'm after instantly (and not have to pay for hosting or worry about how the page will display on different browsers/devices), but tumblr has a hard limit of 1280 width on images. I have minimal experience butchering HTML, and don't want to spend days suffering through that again, so I'm looking for an easier way.

>Those of you who publish your own work/have your own websites, how do you do it?
>Would you recommend a comic hosting site like tapastic? And if so, what site allows 1440 or wider (tapastic's limit is 940)?
>If I should get my own webhosting, which would you recommend? Google started doing webhosting, are they good?
>If I host my own site, are there templates that can handle wide format serializations and have the simple features I'm interested in, or am I doomed to days of butchering HTML/CSS again?

Feel free to share any related advice or experience.
>>
>And if I get my own hosting, should I host my images somewhere like imgur and embed them on my site to save on bandwidth, or is this unnecessary? Or is some other reason I shouldn't?
>>
File: 0s4dTtBy.jpg (86KB, 384x313px) Image search: [Google]
0s4dTtBy.jpg
86KB, 384x313px
No one willing to share anything about hosting your own content?

At this point I think I'm going to get Dreamhost and install comicpress and hope I can get the shit working how I want, but my lack of confidence means I'll probably put this shit off and keep working on other endeavors.
>>
You just got to try and see what works. But perhaps you should check if there's an interest for your stuff first before you start. hosting your own site.
>>
>>2877376
I've been working on this project since January of 2013 (actually working on it occasionally, abandoning it to do other things, rewritting it, and being lazy, but very dedicated to it for the last ~year) and I've been an artist for longer. I understand that even if I present a product that is "good" in all technical respects it may still fail to connect with people, but I'm optimistic. Besides, hosting isn't very expensive.

A dedicated server from Dreamhost is only 203.40$/year, a shared server is half that. Then there's the cost of a few domain names only 10-20$/year each. Wordpress and Comicpress are free (I believe). ~150-250$ isn't a major investment compared to the time investment I've already committed.
>If I'm forgetting some costs, or anyone thinks this is a shit plan, please let me know.

I have done my own hosting before, so I'm somewhat confident I could butcher a wordpress theme into doing what I want.

Getting a indication of the interest in the work is good advice though, thanks.
>>
>>2876695
>>2877062
I think you'll get better advice if ask on /co/ t.b.h.
>>
>>2877999
Thanks, I'll do that.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.