[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Art festivals

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 12

File: IMG_0350.jpg (234KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0350.jpg
234KB, 1000x1000px
Which ones are you going to this year, /ic/? Or have you given up on human contact altogether?
>>
Not leaving home all summer huh.
>>
Bought tickets to both IFCC and THU. These will be my first trips alone and i'm gonna sperg so hard out there. But they also give a lot of motivation to upgrade my portfolio as much as possible until May and September respectively. Are you going, OP?
>>
>>2876447
I'm going to IFCC and PL, skipping THU, though. Last year I went to all three and it was a bit much, especially with two of them scheduled back to back. Also THU is getting too crowded and focused on fee-fees.

Good luck with your travels, I'll keep an eye out for a sperg in Zagreb and buy you a drink.
>>
>>2876050
I'm thinking of going to Edge Control Expo 2017 in Toronto, though I'm still on the fence since money is tight for me. I tried to link it in my post but 4chan thinks it's spam.
>>
File: tumblr_oejyimqtf31t3uwllo1_500.gif (1MB, 416x340px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oejyimqtf31t3uwllo1_500.gif
1MB, 416x340px
I briefly entertained the idea of going to PL, but I realized I'd have to pay for a ticket for a friend and convince them to go with me. Most likely I'm going to stick to the original plan and spend the money fixing my teeth.
>>
Why spend so much money just to feel like a complete social outcast?
>>
>>2877066
what's in Zagreb?
>>
File: zeen_chin_400x400-1.jpg (68KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
zeen_chin_400x400-1.jpg
68KB, 400x400px
>>2877125
http://ifcc-croatia.com/ifcc-2017-speakers/
>>
>>2877111
Why would you have to go with a friend? Going alone is fine, you meet people there and make friends on the spot, that's what I did. Although I agree prioritising your teeth is a good idea.
>>
I've been to THU twice. Not going to it this year because they raised the price last year and completely casualized it to the point where it basically felt like more of a convention than a workshop. It was still fun but not worth the money imo.
>>
>>2877163
Yeah, increasing the number of attendees will also dilute the experience. The speakers will be absolutely besieged and might even hide away during breaks and in the evenings.
>>
>>2877155
Being around people drains my energy very quickly. I'm scared that if there's no one 'safe' with me, I'll be unable to escape and rest, and I'll keep smiling and chatting until I throw up from exhaustion. I don't think it's impossible for me to take this challenge and survive it, but there's a lot of added difficulty here (career-related event, place I'm not familiar with, money wasted if I chicken out etc etc)... I feel tempted, but my common sense reminds me that I'm too terrified to organize a local drawing meet-up despite the fact that I wouldn't have to pay anything and that I could get ALL my friends to come with me.
>>
>>2877762
I'll be your friend and go with you and we can get a hotel room together and cuddle up in the same bed in fetal position.
>>
>>2877183
The speakers were nowhere to be seen for most of it last year, except for the good guy speakers who had mentorship groups. But a lot of them I assume were just chilling at the hotel for most of it.
>>
>>2877894
t-thanks anon
>>
How are you guys able to afford this? I feel like it's necessary to go to one of these to get the contracts, but how..? It's a lot of money
>>
>>2878218
Well, for one thing, since it's an art conference, the costs of going are tax deductible for a freelancer. Also, not being poor helps. I'm not poor because I work a lot. I'm not sure what you mean by "contracts", but if you think you need to go to one of these to get freelance gigs, you're wrong. I'm not saying it doesn't help, but you can absolutely get hired without the employer ever seeing your face, since they hire on the basis of the quality of your art.

The main reason I go is the live demos. You can learn and understand much more when you can ask follow up questions in real time. Even better if you can do it over drinks in a relaxed atmosphere, although this will be more and more rare at THU I imagine, due to overcrowding.
>>
>>2878218
I saved up money from my previous non-art related job.

>>2877163
>>2877183
Welp, i only got enough money to go this year, so i'll have to make the most of it. Better late than never.

>>2877111
>>2877155
>tfw actually prioritized travelling to socialize and network instead of fixing teeth.
I-i'll just fix all health issues when i'll make it in art. It's one of the rare possibilities to leave my shit obscure country and meet actual working artists irl.
>>
>>2878233
>Welp, i only got enough money to go this year, so i'll have to make the most of it. Better late than never.

First time around I'm sure you'll have a blast. If money's an issue, a good way to save is to avoid the restaurants by staying somewhere with a kitchen (airbnb) and cooking for yourself. Troia is isolated af, 1 supermarket and shitty restaurants with overpriced sub par food.
>>
File: 1310900857790.jpg (29KB, 525x481px) Image search: [Google]
1310900857790.jpg
29KB, 525x481px
Anyone coming to Madrid in May to see Alex Konstad and Even Amundsen and Jama Jurabaev and many more?

I want to meet a d/ic/k in real life
>>
>>2878309
name of the festival/event?
>>
>>2878315

http://nonstopbarcelona.com/seminario/

it's like a new little festival, way cheaper than THU, but the guests are sooo good this year
>>
File: elephant_shrew.jpg (29KB, 470x370px) Image search: [Google]
elephant_shrew.jpg
29KB, 470x370px
>>2878258
Thanks, great advice and i'll try to get a place suitable for cooking.
Any more you can share based on your experience? For example, what are the social norms at these festivals and how do you interact with other artists and pros? Are there usually some kind of teambuilding/introductory events, or do you need to approach people individually?
On the website they say that there will be no conventional "job booths" , but the recruiters and companies representatives will be present. Does it mean that they'll flock to the most loud people, or what?
>>
>>2878322
Man, that's really cool, being a EU citizen must be so convenient. I have to fight for visas for each event.
>>
>>2876050
Any UK d/ic/ks, which cons and festivals do you like? Met any famous fanartists at these?
>>
>>2880334
Went to Leeds thought bubble festival last year, met Kim Jung GI and mike mignola.

Considering going to industry workshops in London later in sept.
>>
>>2880316
Social norms - there is a lot of forced positivity I felt, personally. Everyone's awesome, everything is fantastic and everyone is super duper nice, sunshine, sparkles. I think it stems from the fear of ostracism. Or maybe it was genuine and I'm just a bitter prick, heh heh. The good thing is it is really easy to approach people and make friends. You just come over and start talking, some pecentage of people you talk to will turn out all right, and some will like you, you'll like them, bam, you got a new friend. It's really very friendly.

If you're a loner type and socially inept, or just enjoy solitude, you won't be bored because there's something art related to see or do all day long.

>how do you interact with other artists and pros?

Just say hi and start talking, be it pro or someone unknown or total beginner makes no difference to me and this approach works well. Famous pros might be besieged though, there are many instances when a pro sits on a couch and is surrounded by a crowd sitting wherever they can. Shit looks like the sermon on the mountain or some eastern guru and is hilarious, but they just might be preaching something useful, so you might wanna join in the listening.

>On the website they say that there will be no conventional "job booths" , but the recruiters and companies representatives will be present. Does it mean that they'll flock to the most loud people, or what?

Not sure if that means they're changing something this year, but the previous 2 editions they had a large room and each company had a couple of couches and a table per company and a line of people taking turns in interviews/feedback sessions.

>Are there usually some kind of teambuilding/introductory events, or do you need to approach people individually?

There was team building, like sandcastles on the beach or graffiti on walls and various other organised activities. I never took part though and still met loads of people just by approaching individually.
>>
>>2880964
Thanks a LOT for the info, i'm so looking forward to actually being there!
>>
>>2876050
none because I live in a third world country.
>>
>tfw too shit at art to actually benefit from any of these
>>
>>2882865
Well, they do provide a huge motivational boost, for what it's worth. While you're ther you really feel like doing something. The fire dies in a few weeks once you get back to your old routine, but some inspiring life stories you pick up at a festival can stay with you for years.
>>
>>2876050
Going to IFCC because it's closer to me, plus I needed a reason to leave my houses beside grocery.
>>
File: THU.jpg (242KB, 498x733px) Image search: [Google]
THU.jpg
242KB, 498x733px
THU organiser refuses to reveal the number attendees. Confirmed for overcrowded mess edition?
>>
>>2886805
That seems to be Scott Ross's vision for the event as evidenced by the closing talk last year.
>>
>>2886819
Yep, increasing numbers to start turning a profit, at the cost of quality.
>>
File: 4.png (2MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
4.png
2MB, 1600x900px
>>2876447
Aaaaand i'll probably have to miss IFCC because to get a visa i need to be officially employed fulltime and have documents about my last month's salary.
Surprising side in a life of NEET who left non-art related job to focus on improving his art.
>>
>>2887815
Why would you need a visa to go to IFCC? Can't you stay in most countries for 3 months before you need one?
>>
>>2876050
The only one I'm fairly certain of is the Venice Biennale.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.