[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Degrees related to art

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: sv.png (676KB, 1280x620px) Image search: [Google]
sv.png
676KB, 1280x620px
I go to a state college and I'm not sure what I wanna do. The fine arts department is pretty shit and so is the film department. Also I don't know if degrees in stuff like that would really transfer into a job once I graduate.

I was thinking about doing something like Architecture (the program seems decent) since it at least has some relation to drawing and design. Are there any other practical degrees that are related to art in some way? Before this I was thinking about doing CS but I heard you have to constantly keep learning new languages and I don't think I'd have enough time to draw if that's what I pursued. Are there any jobs/fields that give you enough downtime to draw a lot?

Anyways, I'm pretty lost. What did you guys major in and how did affect your art? Please help a struggling anon out.
>>
>>2875768
Well for one, stop being a fucking retard. I swear every fucking person who goes to a UC or state is a fucking dumb ass when it comes to learning.
>Oh it's all about the degree
What the fuck did you eat during your childhood? Did someone brainwash you? Jesus fucking Christ.

If there's one thing that's for fucking sure, it's that with this mind set, you won't make it in art anyways because the degree is complete bullshit that won't do anything for you except tell what happened during your 4 years.

It won't get you a job, what gets you a job, is what kind of work you put in during the program.

But seeing as you've gotten this far without knowing that. You're a fucking retard anyways.

I fucking hate you people.

Go for architecture if you want. The fucking fine art department is the fucking department that teaches art unless you want to do design in which case, there are other programs.
>>
>>2875774
degrees matter tho. There are plenty of places that wont even look at your resume if you don't have a degree in a related field. What mindset are you bitching about? I want to pursue art in a practical way, what's so bad about that? Where did I say I didn't want to put in work? And I just told you that the fine art department is shit. They don't teach normal art there, half of it is gluing sticks to a wall and calling it art and the other half is weird performance art. I can already draw better than most of the teachers so there's not much I'm gonna learn there.

You just seem like an angry asshole who is projecting all this dumb bullshit on me. I was just looking for simple advice yet you decided to sperg out on me and assume a bunch of nonsense. Get help you incompetent unstable fuck.
>>
File: 1487878922239.jpg (46KB, 600x847px) Image search: [Google]
1487878922239.jpg
46KB, 600x847px
>>2875768
Anon...there is "art" and then there is art. The schools or courses you should be looking (in the USA) for are those that teach design principles for the animation/games industry and not artsy fartsy classes, because those are scams and a waste of your time.

To name a few:
New Masters Academy 29$/month
Schoolism 144$/ year
Gnomon 59$/month
SVS learn 15$/month
Foundation Mentorship 150-200$
Scott Eaton Courses 500$
Watts Atelier Online
CGMA 2D
Gumroad tutorials
Concept cookie
Cubebush
FDZ School of Design

A degree is useless in this field. You don't need to pay exorbitant amount of $$$ for fundamentals, either. If you want to major in something just pick something that you can fall back on or something that will pay the bills.
>>
i did a fine arts degree at a state school, most people were really untrained in fundamentals, the teachers didn't stress them at all and gave people way too much freedom. the kids there tried to pass off mistakes or lack of direction as "muh style" and there was more circlejerking about ideas rather than actually implementing the ideas. basically nobody worked hard and just smoke and drank all the time lol.

also, just because people fall flat with what they are making in school though doesn't mean you should completely dismiss fine art, and this goes to any other person especially on this board, who only thinks fundamentals = good art. literally you're no different than a le redditor upvoting things like "ultra realistic pencil drawing of an eye" saying its the pinnacle of human artistic achievement. you can have the most beautifully rendered drawing in the world but if it doesn't have an idea or isn't saying anything it's probably shit. if you dismiss the field of fine art completely because there's a couple of projects that seem ridiculous, it's pretty closed minded desu. being informed on what people are making for galleries and art history definitely enriches what you make.

however, for your purposes, i'd definitely go for any sort of design related degree like graphic design or product/industrial design if they have it, architecture seems like it would be good too because it teaches you how to make something to have a purpose. i personally would have loved to do an animation degree rather than a fine art degree but it certainly was an experience for me, actually very educational
>>
>>2875783
>pick something that you can fall back on or something that will pay the bills.
Any ideas? I was gonna do engineering initially but I have no passion for it and from what I've heard, it eats up all of your time so I wouldn't be able to draw as much as I want.
>>2875828
>if you dismiss the field of fine art completely because there's a couple of projects that seem ridiculous, it's pretty closed minded desu
I wasn't dismissing the entire field of fine art, that'd be retarded. I was saying that my schools fine art department looks like shit since all the work I've seen from teachers has been very unimpressive. I don't mind non-traditional art at all and I don't think lowly of the fine art field.

And yeah, I was looking into Industrial Design but it looks like there's very few jobs out there for it and I've heard the same about graphic design. That's why I was mostly looking at architecture since it has a design element and also there's a decent amount of jobs out there. From what I've heard tho, being an architect is living hell since the pay is shit and the hours are the worst out of almost any profession.

Any architects here who could talk about what it's like?
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.