[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

About 2 years ago I watched a video by Feng on Design Cinema

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: fengzhu.jpg (50KB, 206x320px) Image search: [Google]
fengzhu.jpg
50KB, 206x320px
About 2 years ago I watched a video by Feng on Design Cinema where he said something to the effect that he doesnt paint with opacity b/c it doesnt exist in real life, colors are what they are. Now I cant find that video again or remember the correct quote.

Anybody know what Im talking about or am I going crazy? Is painting with opacity shit? Right now my results are muddy as fuck with opacity (pen pressure) and you can see all my strokes. I dont know if its optimal.
>>
>>2871572
I think you must've misheard him because he does paint with opacity. He just uses nearly 100%.
>>
>>2871576
so how does he get gradients?
>>
>>2871572
>Right now my results are muddy as fuck with opacity

if you care about colors, use really opaque brushes so that it doesn't mix with whats already on the canvas, then blend them in with opacity brushes

Feng uses 80-90% opacity brushes, theoretically the same thing, but switching between hard fill and opacity brushes. gives you complete and total control over colors.
>>
Reposting an old post of mine I found in the archive:

I've seen plenty of people paint with pressure opacity turned entirely off. Feng Zhu briefly describes the merits of doing this here: https://youtu.be/eaH_WlD_rP4?t=704

I prefer to use 100% opacity for most things, but I use low opacity brushes for glazing-type stuff towards on a mostly finished piece. For line work I set pressure to brush size. For lay-ins I use a hard round or a hard flat (the angle for the flat brush is controlled manually) brush without any dynamics. For texture brushes I do whatever feels right at the time. In any case where I have pen pressure controlling brush dynamics, the pressure curve looks like the the right side of a parabola that sits slightly above the x axis so the brush will always be at least a few pixels wide.
>>
>>2871583
blend tool maybe?
>>
As a /beg/ asking here would it really matter once you're past the block-in stage? I imagine having opacity on would help tenfold in terms of blending. Or am I not understanding something here.
>>
>>2871572

Oh yes, and we all know Feng makes realistic pieces.
>>
When you say paint with nearly 100% opacity, are you just referring to the general opacity setting, or that he turns Opacity Pressure off completely in brush tools (or sets min opacity at 90%)?
>>
File: ultra realistic art by fang zoo.jpg (325KB, 900x611px) Image search: [Google]
ultra realistic art by fang zoo.jpg
325KB, 900x611px
>>2871572
He paints with pressure sensitivity turned off, switching the percentage opacity (10%, 20%, 80% etc.) with the number keys. Using pressure sensitivity, however, you can create washes and essentially regulate this effect with pressure as you see fit rather than setting it to a hard limit. The end result is the color of the object regardless of how you got there so if that's his explanation it doesn't make any sense.

>>2871583
Airbrush (round brush at 0% hardness).

Feng a shit though.
>>
>>2871572
He was saying that while demonstrating how to paint values on a cube in perspective. He said that he doesn't advice people to use opacity because it creates muddy values which is not how objects actually appear in life.
>>
>>2871935
>
Wouldn't switching opacity to different values with the number keys gives you the same results as just having it set to pressure sens? I don't understand.
>>
>>2871935
>He paints with pressure sensitivity turned off, switching the percentage opacity (10%, 20%, 80% etc.)
nope. no one paints like this
https://youtu.be/eaH_WlD_rP4?t=778
fucking dumb m8.
>>2874085
no its not same thing
>>
>>2874096
also forgot timestamp its around 12 mins. where he explains his set up on pen pressure
>>
>>2871935
>Feng a shit tho
That isn't his work tho. It's a student's lineart that he rendered and didn't bother fixing anatomy and design for
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.