[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What art style is this?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: wendy_by_themrock-d7pyd7e.jpg (238KB, 772x1091px) Image search: [Google]
wendy_by_themrock-d7pyd7e.jpg
238KB, 772x1091px
Many artist like Kricfalusi/Themrock and more have this weird but common style like from cartoons of the 60s but with transgressive elements that make them look "wicked" or grotesque. How is done?
>>
It really bothers me that he colored outside of the lines on the right gnome's beard. Like, he mostly tried to stay in the lines and then there's that gnome's beard. I guess also a tiny bit on the finger of her right hand.
>>
>>2871381

Look at preston blaire's books.
>>
spumco art style
>>
>>2871386
autism
>>
>>2871381
Op, stop it. Most of these art styles you bring up on this board don't even have a name
>>
>>2871381
Its the "im too lazy to learn real anatomy, but i can still make it look lively" style.
>>
>>2872193
You could say that about any cartoonist. I love drawing in a highly stylized cartoony way but I also did life drawing classes for 3 years and have a good understanding on anatomy despite the fact I exaggerate features when drawing humans. I'm capable of drawing anatomically correct humans but I just find it boring. You'll find most cartoonists are the same so don't be a cunt just because other artists are found a style they enjoy working within.

Also anatomy still comes into a drawing like the one in question. Everything is exaggerated and heavily stylized but it still anatomically works within the style and doesn't look inhuman and awkward.
>>
File: image.jpg (23KB, 236x271px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23KB, 236x271px
>>2871381
Its a lot like the elongated figures of the baroque. Obviously a child wouldn't look like this, but a gangly young adult would.
>>
>>2871381
This looks like a mix between John K (creator of Ren and Stimpy) and Seth McFarlane. Don't know exactly what you would call that though. 80s? Stiff, but cartoony?
>>
>>2871381
Study life. Study the cartoons from the 60 and their mod style. Learn it yourself. Otherwise you'll just be copying another person instead of bringing something new to the table.

Kricfalusi's blog is actually a great place to start because he posted a ton of resources for how to get better at cartooning, and many of them involve drawing from people (like the honeymooners for instance).

Cartoons are about exaggeration at the end of the day, and you can't know how to exaggerate something if you don't know how to draw that something at it's basic look first (I.e. a more realistic head first).

As someone studying a similar style, this has been what's helped me.
>>
File: jk LilDConcept009.jpg (36KB, 400x337px) Image search: [Google]
jk LilDConcept009.jpg
36KB, 400x337px
>>2871381
Look at John Kricfalusi's doodles ans sketches, closest style I can think of. John K is influenced by Bob Clampetts "energy sketches" and he talks a lot about Milt Gross and Carlo Vinci which is where I think he gets his zig zag influence.

Themrock has a style that is much more unique to the typical Spumco style though.
>>
>>2871453
>it's okay to be a lazy colorist

You a Squirrel Girl fan?
>>
>>2871381
What art style? Cancer.
>>
>>2871381
I can't explain why but I find the image in the OP to be overpoweringly sexy. I want to see more of this in my life every day of the week.
>>
File: 1471778760952.png (745KB, 539x774px) Image search: [Google]
1471778760952.png
745KB, 539x774px
>>2871381
IT'S FUCKING SHIT M8
>>
>>2874857
Kill yourself
>>
>>2874861
>posting K-ON reaction image in a thread about art style

pathetic
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.