[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Line art and

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: Untitled.png (936KB, 1023x900px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
936KB, 1023x900px
Is it better to draw art with no varying width in your line work or not

Ive noticed a lot of asian artists tend to draw with very thin lines or if they use a thick brush tool, it doesn't really emphasize distance or weight like westerners do in their line work. However, this appears to be slightly more difficult.

Although this does not apply to every artist, there are some exceptions. But is pretty common.
>>
Generally speaking I'd say varied line weight is better to do and easier, the only ones I've seen pull off flat brush properly are people that have been doing it for decades.
>>
>inb4 someone posts that shitty sunglasses spider-dude inking tutorial

It's mostly a matter of personal taste and what you're going for. Line variety makes it much easier to indicate the texture and weight of something, so if your end result is supposed to just be lineart, it's usually a better idea to make use of line weight.

No line-variety works great in combination with a cellshaded anime / cartoon look, which is probably why lots of japanese artists use it. It also creates a really appealing look when a confident artist uses it for sketching, like 0033, Demizu Pezuka, Krenz, Bahi etc.
>>
>>2870012
Depends on the project.
>>
>>2870012
depends. But do take note the example you posted is used for animation. In animation line weight is always desirable
>>
>>2870012
asians draw that way to imitate animation style.
>>
>>2870384
wrong. nip animation and mangas is thin, which is why you have asian artists following the art style.
>>
File: 20261764_p0.jpg (2MB, 1500x3302px) Image search: [Google]
20261764_p0.jpg
2MB, 1500x3302px
>>2870012
What do you want to do? Experiment and find what works best for what you're trying to convey.
>>
>>2870633
Oldschool western animation also always used thin clean-up lines. Only the concept art and pencil tests were using varied line weight.
>>
>>2870682
i like that style . is there more where that came from?
>>
Just do what you like more. If they are the same width you need to choose more where you put. Do what you find is looking nicer.
I prefer not super thin, but thin lines that are the same width, but I still like lines with varying width.

Pic related is what I like the most
>>
>>2870904
Man. I'm all for putting a bunch of time into a single piece, but fuck doing something like that.
>>
>>2870012
You're analyzing this completely wrong and coming to a wrong conclusion. Your focus on west vs east is completely unnecessary. How fancy your linework gets will generally depend on whether that's all there is to your drawing or not. Art that has no value work done to it and no color will unsurprisingly rely fully on the linework. It will rely on line to communicate information that's generally shown through color and value difference, such as depth or crevices. Artwork with color on it even if completely flat does not rely on line to convey these ideas even if it comes to use it. Line can become a hindrance even if you're painting in your values and colors, though of course there's no hard rule about that either.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.