[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Design Books Recommendations

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3

Are there any good books on design /ic/ would recommend?

I'm primarily a 3d artist (though I draw sometimes), and I feel like the work I do is weakest on the levels of fundamental construction. I've got no trouble making something detailed, weathered, copying perfect materials or textures, but I struggle a lot with picking initial shapes or starting my designs.
>>
>>2869953
No, not really. Usually we just look at life for inspiration. Like vehicles, animals, cities, etc.

What about for 3D, how does one get as strong as you that you are able to do perfect materials or textures?
>>
File: sk.jpg (24KB, 260x319px) Image search: [Google]
sk.jpg
24KB, 260x319px
>>2869968
How about picrelated?
>>
>>2869968
I watched lectures that explained how to break down materials into comprehensible components, and techniques to create them through painting, manipulating photo textures, etc. Once I understood the thought process I could then apply it to my own work. Same as learning any other skill, really.

You can look at pretty shapes and copy them but that alone won't necessarily give you an understanding of what makes them pretty. Some people work intuitively, yeah, but you can't speak for everyone, I'm certain these processes have been broken down by people before.
>>
>>2869995
This is pretty much the kind of stuff I'm looking for, thanks.
>>
File: design-sketching1[1].jpg (156KB, 525x355px) Image search: [Google]
design-sketching1[1].jpg
156KB, 525x355px
This is a good book. More about representation than design though. Still has lots of good examples.

More conceptually you might need to change the way you think. John Chris Jones :

>"The main point of difference is that of timing. Both artists and scientists operate on the physical world as it exists in the present (whether it is real or symbolic), while mathematicians operate on abstract relationships that are independent of historical time. Designers, on the other hand, are forever bound to treat as real that which exists only in an imagined future and have to specify ways in which the foreseen thing can be made to exist."

Try designing AND making something yourself. a table, a chair, a cup, nothing too complicated. Record every decision you make while doing it and try to understand why you made that choice. Going through the process of designing is important to understanding why things the way they are. You start with initial idea/ concept and try to develop it in more detail. How does it work, how is it built. You inevitably run into constraints and have to work around them. You reformulate a design and iterate in a loop like process until you've reached a satisfactory result. Remember there is no best or optimal design, the real world is too messy and you have to balance multiple conflicting criteria.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.