[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Portrait Position?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: Franklin-Pierce.jpg (75KB, 595x780px) Image search: [Google]
Franklin-Pierce.jpg
75KB, 595x780px
Hello /ic/

I dont come to this board very often, but seeing that this is a place of critique I assume you would be knowledgeable of something I have been pondering for a while.

I have been considering having my friend do a formal portrait of me, I figured it would be nice to have something fancy to hang in my home.

Looking at portraits of important people such as leaders and presidents, I notice there are different poses they take and I wonder if there is any significance to why they decided what pose they did.

I see in some portraits people will look straight forward and look right at the viewer.
Other times they turn their head slightly to the side and they may look at the viewer or even look off in the distance.
Their body may be straight on, or turned to the side.
They sometimes sit or stand.

Do these have a significance in the image they are trying to portray for themselves or is it purely a cosmetic thing that looks the best to paint/draw for the artist?

I want to have a nice elegant portrait but I am not sure what should be the pose. Is there anyone who can offer some tips and insight?
>>
>>2869509
I don't think there is a standard set of "rules" on this sort of thing. The pose of the person will depend upon a bunch of factors like the preference of the painter, the features of the individual (maybe they look better at certain angles), how formal or informal the portrait is, the time period etc. It is common but not necessary to include some reference to the life of the person as well, for example a famous writer might have them at their desk with papers surrounded by books.

I would suggest finding a portrait painter you like, and then look at their body of work and see which poses you tend to prefer. I personally like 19thC artists, so guys like John Singer Sargent or Ilya Repin would be my starting point, but of course your tastes will dictate how you approach it.

Also if your friend is the painter, maybe talk to them as see what their preferences are. You might arrange a meeting in your home for example and try out different poses and things (even do a photoshoot with different options perhaps) and he/she may see something that they think will work well.
>>
>>2869518
Yeah, I'll probably just have to go to him and see what he thinks.

But for many portraits, was the pose just a style of the time? I always pondered if there was more to it, like they looked off in the distance to convey looking ahead to the future or to look powerful. Other times they look to the viewer to try and make more of a connection to those gazing upon the portrait.
>>
>>2869564
Some artists might think of those things, but honestly a lot of it is probably not consciously decided like that. Personally I think looking right at the viewer is a little more formal, and looking elsewhere is less formal as it reminds me of candid observation of the person.
>>
File: 1410019986277.jpg (11KB, 300x396px) Image search: [Google]
1410019986277.jpg
11KB, 300x396px
These poses mean nothing in painting but mean a lot in body language
>>
>>2869509
find something that tells a little about who you are. that's kind of the point.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.