[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I do this kind of shit What materials/tools should I

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 9

File: xrb0otmvnp5qik11q7oz.jpg (83KB, 800x656px) Image search: [Google]
xrb0otmvnp5qik11q7oz.jpg
83KB, 800x656px
How do I do this kind of shit

What materials/tools should I use?
Is sculpting useful and will it help me git gud?

Also general sculpture thread I guess
>>
File: 1_expo-art-ludique--2-.jpg (102KB, 900x493px) Image search: [Google]
1_expo-art-ludique--2-.jpg
102KB, 900x493px
More because these busts are just really nice to look at
>>
File: qb7idqixdxt5elhzmufm.jpg (60KB, 800x577px) Image search: [Google]
qb7idqixdxt5elhzmufm.jpg
60KB, 800x577px
>>
File: pffaarcp0iv3jr8ibhol.jpg (68KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
pffaarcp0iv3jr8ibhol.jpg
68KB, 800x534px
I like using these for reference even though they are kind of stylised.
>>
Getting into the basics of sculpting first instead of Loomis (for beginners) would be so helpful I think, but it's just so expensive and a hassle to get into I think. Just understanding that everything has depth to it no matter how small would help out like 88.1412% of /beg/
>>
Good thread.

Find a sculpture class near you that focuses on classical/antiquity realism, figure porportions and portraiture. You can always stylize or keep it rough once you take it to the finish that the instructor wants you to. This is the atelier for sculpture, essentially.

You'll be working almost always in clay but you'll be taught how to create a frame to keep the clay together and from falling to shit. It's a process like anything else worth doing.

Also, these may be of help: http://philippefaraut.com/collections/sculpting-books-dvds
>>
File: 1487476674755.jpg (106KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1487476674755.jpg
106KB, 900x1200px
Always wanted to know how the nips made these.
>>
>>2868506
Very carefully
>>
>>2868504
If I wasn't completely poor and living in NZ(basically a third world country) I would, that sounds like pretty solid advice
>>
>>2868508
I could very carefully be polishing a turd too. your witty comment does not respond to the question
>>
>>2868477
I agree, having to understand the head from all angles all at the same time while being completely accurate would make you way better way faster in my opinion
>>
>>2868549
You can find three of the DVDs on rutracker, Art of Sculpting 1-3.
>>
>>2868459
>>2868460
>>2868461
>>2868465
Cedric Peyravernay is fucking amazing. I love his work for Dishonored
>>
>>2868558
The whole aesthetic for dishonored is so fucking good, especially the faces
>>
>>2868558
>>2868565

woke homies talkin about cedric peyraverney
im proud of /ic/ on this day
>>
>>2868574
Arx Fatalis, Dark Messiah *and* Dishonored.

What a fucking streak.
>>
>>2868574
This is the most pure and nice thread I have ever seen here
>>
Digital sculpting is still sculpting, right?
>>
File: fwuyafwcza3guiflf6tc.jpg (80KB, 800x640px) Image search: [Google]
fwuyafwcza3guiflf6tc.jpg
80KB, 800x640px
>>2868558
Cedric the god
>>
>>2868586
very nice, looks very peyraverney-y
your work anon???
done in zbrush? man i really have to get back into that program as long as i still have a license
>>
>>2868589
>people you would marry just on the basis of how good their art is
>>
>>2868506
>Full Cock
>>
>>2868558
His work seems to barely be a step up from that space marine meme. His use of negative space is so boring despite him using so much planes in his positive space.
>>
can't you just buy this "art grade putty" play doh type of thing? I remember buying a black-board-eraser large slab of purple one that would never dry. It was somewhat oily and a pin in the ass to clean from your hands but it worked wonders and could be reused many many times.
>>
>>2869596
plastalina never dries out :)
>>
>>2868598
>that might be my single change of getting any
>>
>>2869821
>plastalina
yes that's it. Couldn't you make things similar to OP's pics? I mean it's not the real deal but it's pretty damn solid.
>>
>>2868551
There's no cheat codes faggot. You pick up clay and mold it. Period.
>>
I actually jacked off to the enviroment art while playing dishonored 2

god jesus fuck the colours and everything
I love how he used the sun of california and the peeks were inspired by south africa with dutch colonial with some HNNNNNNNNGNGN jucy fucking indescribable just fucking perfect what and inspiration
>>
>>2870575
>I actually jacked off to the enviroment art while playing dishonored 2
like... actually?
>>
>>2868506
Some are sculpted traditionally with polymer clay, and others are done digitally using a sculpting program like zbrush and from there I would imagine they are 3D printed in a castable resin which is used to make moulds for mass production.
>>
i think getting into sculpting is a lot easier than drawing. you don't really have to grind fundies in the same way as you would in drawing, which makes sculpting more fun with a lower barrier of entry.
>>
>>2870705
Do you really think that is true though?

>Sculpting easier to get into than art?

Can any pros comment on if this is actually a thing?

Also if there are any sculpting pros here. Put together a set of links for some stuff from amazon (ideally .ca) That somone would need to pick up this style of sculpting. I am assuming just a big wad of plastalina and a good quality kit of sculpting tools?
>>
On the face of it this SEEMS easier https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGohfTCePP8
>>
>>2870588

>not jerking off to juicy environment shape language to absorb artistic knowledge

ISHYGDDT
>>
>>2870722
yes. i think sculpting is more intuitive than drawing because you're making 3 dimensional work based on 3 dimensional objects. drawing on the other hand is representing 3d objects on a 2d plane, which obviously requires more conscious effort to learn.

>>2870726
well of course. i never said the skill cap for sculpting is lower than drawing, but i do believe its much easier to get started in sculpting and create something that you would look at and say "not bad".
>>
>>2868459
Sculpture is low tier maybe slightly above comic book art.. but less skill require.
>>
>>2870732
>its much easier to get started in sculpting and create something that you would look at and say "not bad".
This is the number one barrier to me practicing 2d art.

I always get so upset at my final result it discourages me from continuing to practice.
>>
Combining both is the way to go! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8xcmF-eM2k
>>
File: 12.jpg (395KB, 990x1600px) Image search: [Google]
12.jpg
395KB, 990x1600px
>>2870588
you haven't yet?
>>
On the topic of dishonored, the aesthetic of is brilliant and really immersive.
>>
>>2868459
If you're extremely poor, start with plasticine. For more workability and more detail work for a little bit more money use monster clay. Don't start with polymer clay, it's expensive and can behave in frustrating ways.

Sculpting will help you get better at drawing, it will inform you in matters of spacial awareness, you can use your sculptures as references to drawing, trying out different lighting setups and poses by utilizing quick clay sketches etc. And it's fun, a whole lot of fun.
>>
>>2868549

how is NZ basically a third world country? from what I'm aware it's better off than many sun belt and midwestern US states
>>
>>2868687
Is this bait?
>>
Anyone have the 3DTotal anatomy figures? Are they worth it?

I can get the male and female set for <$150.
>>
>>2874335
I just got one (male). Breddy gud desu, using it as ref for sculpting.
>>
File: arc_de_triomphe_2.jpg (226KB, 630x406px) Image search: [Google]
arc_de_triomphe_2.jpg
226KB, 630x406px
Is water-based clay the only kind of clay that's easy to harden?
I'm looking for a material that feels similar to oil-based clay, but that can give "finished products". Oil clay requires casting and shit, I don't want to do that.

Pic not related
>>
>>2868459
this is chavant NSP medium clay.
all you need to work it is a toaster oven or crockpot to warm it up, a loop tool made from guitar string and ur fingers.
>>
>>2876172
Like polymer clay?
>>
>>2876306
Looks more like the stuff kids use to play. Is there something that feels more like water/oil clay, that can be used for sculpting like OP's pic?
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.