[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Art/life balance to git gud

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: CHANGE-PLACES.jpg (41KB, 851x702px) Image search: [Google]
CHANGE-PLACES.jpg
41KB, 851x702px
I go through cycles where I'll draw for 6-8 hrs a day for a month, then drop down to 1-2hrs and then just ultimately stop for a few months. I keep saying I'll eventually maintain 8hrs a day consistently but I always end up focusing elsewhere(lifting, reading, work, etc)

Is balance truly the key? If I set a lower number(let's say 3-4 hrs a day) and do that every day will I actually see any improvement? It just seems like that's basically no time and I can't imagine such few hours would get me anywhere.

To anyone who practices daily: do you keep a good balance in your life? Or would 8+hrs a day be much better even though it has very little balance??
>>
Also meant to add that I take adderall to get my work done usually 4-5 days a week. I worry that being on adderall while I practice art will screw up my learning so I try to avoid practicing during those days... I prefer to not take it at all, but whenever I get boatloads of work I get back into taking it and I just hate practicing art while amped up.

Could this be a problem while learning? Anyone here take adderall/amps while studying and still able to retain the information?
>>
Do you have a job?
>>
>>2867877
Yes I work contract and it's all digital so I set my own hours. But the catch22 is the more hours I work the more money I make, and sometimes I land big jobs where I just blow off everything and work all day long for weeks.

I think balance would be key but I just can't imagine that 4-5hrs a day drawing is really going to make a dent in my ability. My mindset is very "all or nothing" and I can't really tell if it's right or not(FZD work implies some truth to it)
>>
>>2867888
I know that feeling, Money comes first, but if you really want to put in the hours then you can definitely do it.

And 4-5 hours daily will absolutely make a difference in your drawing ability, at least it has for me. Feng has said as much as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3Al7QAS89s

Ideally, it would be nice to be surrounded by peers with no responsibilities except working on your craft for 12 hours a day. I honestly fantasize about it from time to time.

But, with a full time job, the reality is that you have work with the time you DO have. You're no less dedicated for for holding down a job AND getting gud. If it really bothers you though, build up your savings now and take a year off. In the mean time, keep drawing when you can to stay sharp and hungry.
>>
>>2867930
I definitely see what you're saying. It makes sense anon thanks

Any attitudes towards adderall or being stimulated while drawing? More specifically trying to retain the information.

I take add when I wanna get tons of work done and I don't draw on those days cause I'm nervous to accustom myself to drawing while in that state.
>>
>>2867855
Violinist Nathan Milstein is said to have once asked his teacher Leopold Auer how many hours a day he should be practicing. Auer responded by saying “Practice with your fingers and you need all day. Practice with your mind and you will do as much in 1 1/2 hours.”

That's music, but this applies for art as well. Be mindful and know why you are drawing. Visualize in your mind when you draw, don't guess when you draw. Have a goal. A particular good habit you want to ingrain in yourself, or a bad habit you are focusing on getting rid of.

If you want to get good in a year you need to work 12 hours a day. FZD is a cram school, it's not the only way to learn to draw and it's not the only way to get good. For most people getting good is a marathon.

You should really not stop drawing. You stop drawing because you convince yourself you can't realize your ambitions, and you lose motivation because of that. But you're an artist; you should utilize your skills to express yourself. If you want your work to appeal to others, this is something you should be focusing on as well.

In terms of balance, most people don't exist on true 'balance.' People switch back and forth between focusing on work/social life for long periods of time, for example. People always harp on people who browse /ic/ as it's not ideal to waste time here, but as long as you swing the balance back to being productive it's inconsequential. You should expect yourself to swing back and forth across a balancing point, as you seem to be not-solely interested in drawing. You see the cycle, you should just try to minimize the period where you don't draw by repeating the cycle faster.
>>
>>2867961
>as you seem to be not-solely interested in drawing
Yes it's true I mostly want to do this for fun. But your initial quote is a good one and it's something I need to keep in mind
>>
>>2867957
I personally wouldn't take drugs to focus/be creative etc. If you were diagnosed with ADD and were prescribed it that's one thing, but I can see that leading to substance abuse if you use it so you'll focus.

Better to change your working habits, take scheduled breaks to maintain your focus over the day in between sprints of activity. Look up the pomodoro technique to see it explained in depth.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.