[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Explain something to a newfag. What are the skills that life

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

File: white or not white.jpg (45KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
white or not white.jpg
45KB, 480x480px
Explain something to a newfag.

What are the skills that life drawing teaches and why is so important?
>>
>>2866486
It trains you to be capable of leaving the house and being around other humans without flipping the fuck out.
>>
>>2866486
is a meme. real pros don't give a shit about it, but pretentious amateurs will give you a ton of bullshit, farfetched, feeble arguments about it being indispensable.

the blame is on old school farts unable to understand the new tools, and their retard wannabes.
>>
it has its advantages like any other drawing exercise, makes thinking in 3d easier, makes construction easier, you are looking at a three dimensional object so if you dont understand the values or colors or forms youre seeing you can observe the subject from different angles or observe the environment and understand how it all comes together, a photo doesnt allow that
>>
its a meme used to trap beginners

ignore it OP
>>
>>2866532
>>2866719

Your art is a meme.
>>
>>2866486
Trains hand-eye coordination and how to see. If you can't check proportions from life and maintain it enough in your drawing of life, how are you supposed to see objectively your own art? A lot of 2hr figure-draws from life will boost your drawing skills up and make you better at finishing work. It also helps you grasp and understand form.

Lifedrawing is difficult and has some effects on brain matter, the same with how taxi-drivers will become very good at navigation. If it was a meme there'd be no brain changes that come from lifedrawing.

>>2866532
>>2866719
misinfo as fuck. You don't need to lifedraw forever, but at least a few months of intensive figuredrawing works wonders.
>>
>>2866738
But you already have to be good at navigation to become a taxi driver, it ain't the other way around.
>>
>>2866486
There was an interesting quote in that one book called "Key to Drawing":
>True seeing means ignoring logic and drawing what our eyes tell us.
When you only rely on what you think something should look like your drawing comes off as stiff and not very realistic looking most of the time. Photos are okay, but not as good at helping with this because they're static and flat, whereas life drawing allows to draw objects as they are.
>>
It increases your level.
>>
Get on my level.
>>
>>2866532
>>2866719

Nah, it makes it easier to see form and it helps you to finish work faster.
>>
>>2866487
When i was first around normies I would loudly ree out of habit to keep them away, but now after life drawing for a few weeks I only ree under my breath and sometimes I can manage to do it in my imagination. The normies somehow still know to keep away from me without me telling them to. It's weird, they must have a sixth sense to know what I am thinking.

>>2866486
Life drawing teaches you all the little nuances about anatomy that you might miss while drawing from photos or studying anatomy books. When you are presented with a live human figure it's like it helps you put all your anatomy knowlege to use. I'm not sure how to describe it better.

Seeing a 3d figure and seeing where the muscles stress to hold a pose etc. It's subtle but it helps. I also think it's a good practice because it forces you to really sit and focus for a while. You can get more or less the same experience of life drawing these days from 3d sources but personally I find that I'll focus much more when I'm in a space devoted to the thing I'm doing. I never work nearly as hard when I'm sitting in my rented room at my table studying anatomy.

>>2866532
It's not a meme, it's just a traditional way of drawing practice. Sure if you want you can reduce anything down to its negatives and claim its useless because you can't find a hyper logical reason for it to exist among other means of learning but hey, we're not hyper logical creatures are we? Life drawing is fun, it's good anatomy practice and it gets you around other like minded individuals. If you'd prefer to download some 3d models on your computer and sit in a dark room with the freedom to masturbate whenever you want, then fine. Do that, but don't feel the need to bash something because it's not for you.
>>
Think drawing with life is a good way to develop a style even if your style ends up looking nothing like real life.

It puts you in a good position to just make up your own shit free of the influence of the inspirations you may refer to when just trying to do a style.
>>
>>2866487
fpbp
If it weren't for life drawing I literally would never go outside.
>>
>>2867613

And real portrait artists don't use photos.
>>
>>2866486
"life drawing trains you to see form"

I drew from life for half a year and I didn't learn shit about form. I learned from once I started studying boxes and whatnot. Life drawing is uneeded. Don't end up like proko
>>
File: Embarassing.png (473KB, 600x706px) Image search: [Google]
Embarassing.png
473KB, 600x706px
>>2866486
When did it become acceptable to out yourself as a newfag and beg for spoonfeeding, just fucking lurk for twenty minutes and read the sticky jesus
>>
>>2868443
>I drew from life for half a year and I didn't learn shit about form
That's more due to your autism than life drawing not working, when you do it right and you don't have a mental deficiency it can be helpful
>>
>>2866486
none. its just a meme.
>>
File: van.jpg (94KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
van.jpg
94KB, 900x675px
>>2866486
>>
File: Pic05.jpg (102KB, 900x740px) Image search: [Google]
Pic05.jpg
102KB, 900x740px
>>2866486
You'll beter feel the shape, volume and perspective.
You may easily skip the life drawing if you are one-eyed or have strabismus though.
>>
File: BW10-3.jpg (64KB, 512x640px) Image search: [Google]
BW10-3.jpg
64KB, 512x640px
>>2866486
it let's you use your binocular vision to see subjects stereoscopically. as well as exactly how color, light, form, and perspective affects something.

it's not important at all, but i'd consider the equivalent being the difference between drawing a cube, and drawing a cube in perspective. there's a lot of dissonance between the way things seem and the way things actually work.

Another thing too, is that if you see an irregular shape (like a calf muscle), you almost immediately know the exact shape of it just by looking at it. A lot of complex forms are easily figured out by seeing it in person. Rather than gathering 100 references and piecing them together, or relying on another artists interpretation (these aren't bad things btw) you can immediately understand the thing by looking at it irl.
>>
When the model looks weird from the angle you're drawing it from, like with heavy foreshortening, you can just sort of, you know, move a little and see what the fuck is going on
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.