[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how do you draw anime heads

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 9

So I've been working on strictly loomis, proko, hampton and zarins for the last 7 months. About once every few days for about half an hour I'll try to apply these teachings to anime and none of it works when applying it to the head. The bodies are just simple modifications.

I've tried going as basic as possible, using loomis, but I can't even get that to work consistently. Anime heads are so alien and bizarre, and they differ based on artist. In fact, I can tell some amateur artists on pixiv don't even know proper construction techniques based on their nose positioning making absolutely no sense.

What's the secret?
>>
>>2865271
Post your work so we can see what you're getting wrong or getting right.
>>
http://libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=18449C5EB1014F4D81CDFA2FED303CB3

Drawing style is antiquated but it breaks down anime heads into basic subcategories. Don't copy the drawings since the stylization is old, but the information and processes are good. Apply the information to studying images made my current artists you like.
>>
>>2865271
The secret is to know whether or not you're drawing a cute round girl's face or a tough bulky man's face.
>>
>>2865271
You have learnt absolutely nothing from Loomis then, he teaches this in FWaP.
>>
>>2865349
My roommate actually has that book, I just assumed it was junk. I'll look at it
>>2865354
Cute girls obviously, what do you take me for?
>>2865449
He does not teach anime
>>2865333
Or, since you claim to know what right is, just tell me what right is? Not falling for this bait
>>
>>2865488
Find a mangaka, manga artist, who's style you enjoy and practice their style. I suggest the artist of Berserk, Ghost in the shell, akira and ninja scroll. Depending on which era you like most, 70's - 90's, there are going to be several prominent artists you can choose from to study their use of line, shading, proportion, color choice and subject matter. Remember that the function of creation in the canvas is to utilize particular subject matter that you care about, so you enjoy creating it, and compose it with feeling and emotion. Loosen yourself up and dive in. Just like in writing, first do a rough draft and dont worry about errors until you go through a sevond time in editing. In visual art, when you complete thr first pass of contours and basic shading, then analyze further and make edits. Once you have your shit set, color and add whatever finishing touches. This manner of creation that i speak towards is how i approach digital illustration and photomanipulation; depending on your medium the method will vary. Dont stop once youve started and stay vigilant.
>>
>>2865503
Thanks anon, I will take this to heart
>>
>>2865488
Cute girls huh?
Anmi, Yuugen and Kantoku are pretty good. The most important part is not to copy, but to understand. You must draw many faces and then see how cute they are. If they aren't, draw them again and again. You can not copy cuteness, but you can understand it and through that, you can convey it. Every part of your stroke matters, so make sure to work hard at it. Be sure to experiment with eye lengths, different eye shapes, there's even different head styles if you have seen all the different types of anime out there. It's important to understand what they're doing and how it's working.
>>
>>2865627
>It's important to understand what they're doing and how it's working.
So you're saying you achieve this through experience, studying, trial and error?
>>
>>2865271
stop reading this realistic stuff and start watching anime and reading manga. i have piles upon piles of manga for inspiration
>>
>>2865764
But the real stuff is important, otherwise i'll just be symbol drawing contours and shit
>>
>>2865769
i mean its important tto a degree, sure to get anatomy and such, id say more for bodies, but when it comes to heads, they really are specific. Though Jojos Bizarre Adventure really follows a more realistic style to the faces, while somethting like bleach is all pointy triangle stuff. I guess it depends ont he style. But i find drawing with reference from anime is more helpful tthan reference from real
>>
>>2865769
you won't be symbol drawing at this point since as you claimed you've been doing the fundamentals for 7 months now
>>
>>2865488
>He does not teach anime
You're not gonna make it.
>>
>>2865349
that book is old
but i can see the japanese technique and most basical in far past
thanks to post
>>
Anime heads are retarded and full of symbol drawing.
>>
File: 12464575878.jpg (275KB, 1091x1600px) Image search: [Google]
12464575878.jpg
275KB, 1091x1600px
>>2866026
No, you are retarded and don't understand what symbol drawing means. "anime" heads follow the same laws of perspective as anything else, they come in all kinds of different degrees of realism and stylization.
>>
File: 20854712_p13.jpg (392KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
20854712_p13.jpg
392KB, 800x600px
>>2866042
>>2866026
Also, does it trigger you that most anime artists know more about the human face and anatomy in general than you do?
>>
>>2865271
How the fuck do I render like loomis?
>>
>>2866042
Who is the artist for that sailor moon, or already what's the source for this?
>>
File: paracas_skulls.jpg (73KB, 661x350px) Image search: [Google]
paracas_skulls.jpg
73KB, 661x350px
>>2866042
You're basically proving my point by posting those. The eyes and mouth are always out of alignment with the skull, the noses are just dots, the ears are retardedly close to the eyes in 3/4 view, the craniums and chins are fucked up, the eyes are flat, etc

Before you start claiming it's that guy's "style", just notice how the proportions keep changing in each drawing of Usagi, specifically in the drawing where her head is down where we see more of the top of her head but the angular planes of her jawline and the side of her head are nonexistant, making her look like she has a paracas skull. There's a reason that guy animates in a low frame rate.

>>2866047
These are also bad, I feel pity for your bad taste in art.
>>
So I been studying anime and realism for a good minute and I can explain the differences.

Basically, with the loomis construction, it requires a lot more planal knowledge. Not only do you need to understand the primary planes but you also need to understand the secondary and tertiary planes in order to light and draw realistic heads from imagination properly.

Now with anime, you need to understand some very basic construction. For example, understanding that the eyes are balls in a socket and how the eyebrow wraps around the eye socket. And simply understanding that the head is essentially a box with a top plane, side plane and a bottom blame. Beyond that, you don't really need to understand the anatomy.

And for the last guy complaining about the anime heads looking incorrect, you're absolutely right. Those heads don't exactly follow proportions and the construction of the head very close but the reason for that is because design. Sometimes, in order to make something look more appealing, you will need to distort the head.

For example, you mentioned the ears being too close in the 3/4 view but the thing the reason for that is because it looks more appealing that way. If the ears were pushed further with those proportions, it will simply look unappealing.
>>
>>2866088
Krenz is horrible
>>
>>2866109
LMAO. If krenz is horrible then so is every other artist.
>>
>>2866123
on ic, horrible = not in the top 100 artist ever existed
>>
>>2866088
That Rohan is terrible, why did he think that was okay?
>>
>>2866073
In my opinion the secret is in value and remembering the general idea for why a line is dark, or why a line is "white". Watching proko's eye tutorial vids helped me understand that
>>
>>2866088
This guy is right. Anime heads are fucked, especially hair. They will change shit just to make look more appealing. (A girls bangs might look different/inconsistent from the side view compared to front view simply because it looks better)
>>
>>2866543
Got any examples?
>>
File: tumblr_ohud8potLm1syeyvqo1_500.gif (2MB, 500x519px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ohud8potLm1syeyvqo1_500.gif
2MB, 500x519px
>>2866617
>>2866543
I'm trying to find that gif of Kumiko from Kyoani's Hibike Euphonium checking her hair in the mirror, and while her head shifts in perspective, parts of her hair remain 'stuck'. Pic related is somewhat close, though.

I don't really see what's wrong with shorthands in stylization in anime, especially for visual appeal. Intentional abstractions are present even in realism (hello, Sargent), but anime (and similar forms) are just execute it to an extreme.

You find a lot of notes in animation model sheets specifically stating to keep things in a certain perspective, regardless of how it would look like in actuality.
>>
>>2866632
>I don't really see what's wrong with shorthands in stylization in anime, especially for visual appeal.
Retarded heads don't look good.
>>
>>2865271

Try to find balance between symbol drawing and realistic drawing

Too much symbol and it will look like western flash cartoon

Too much realism and it will look like a western action graphic novel
>>
>>2867091
You sound idiotic.
>>
>>2867091
I know what you're trying to say and you are right, but the way you phrased it was completely incorrect.

Symbol drawing is literally "drawing shit like a child". Anime is not symbol drawing.
>>
Copy other anime artists.

Seriously, that's how japs learn. They copy like 1-3 favorite artists.
>>
>>2867820
And they all suck as a result.

>a-anime isn't symbol drawing!!
>>
>>2867824
Just because most amateur artists symbol draw, doesn't mean "anime is symbol drawing!"
>>
File: 1487434371612.png (65KB, 187x300px) Image search: [Google]
1487434371612.png
65KB, 187x300px
>>2867091
>using western as a bad characteristic
>>
>>2867824
exactly

but if you want to anime, that's the way
>>
OP is bait. Literally every tutorial and book I've seen on drawing manga teaches drawing heads with some form of the Loomis method.

Also some of the replies in this thread
>krenz is shit
>redlineteacher is shit

kys
>>
>>2866123
Improve on your low standards.
>>
File: 1478243080063.jpg (1MB, 2611x3942px) Image search: [Google]
1478243080063.jpg
1MB, 2611x3942px
If anime faces are just symbols, then how can they exist in 3D space as figurines?

Check and mate atheists.
>>
>>2867931
Love your post last time and still love it this time, but really 3D modelling anime heads are pretty difficult.
>>
File: 1487281012978.jpg (594KB, 1944x1944px) Image search: [Google]
1487281012978.jpg
594KB, 1944x1944px
>>2867834
caz?
>>
>>2867931
that is a good way of looking at it though when drawing
>>
>>2867931
Would you say that modeling the word 'house' turns it into a thing other than a symbol? It's just a three dimensional representation of the signifier concept of a real -signified- object, just like animu grills, and their faces, are simplified conceptualizations of women, or in most cases 7 year olds With over developed hips. Making them 3d does nothing to the original representational operation.
>>
>>2867931
Note that her eyes are still flat and she has no nose.
>>
>>2868669
the eye sockets and noses are still here though, just extremely toned down because noses are ugly
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.