[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

IMPORTANT THREAD : What is gud for real?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: 20170217_132153.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20170217_132153.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
We all know here that we recommend Keys to drawing to beginner and intermediate artists because it is the best book to learn how to draw. However, how do we know it is good?

Pic related, in keys to drawing, they don't talk about drawing 3d shapes and having an understanding of 3d (at least in the first half of the book, I haven't finished it yet) and they just tell you to draw what you see, directly without doing shapes or a sketch first.

While drawabox.com tells you to have a sense of 3d and to draw shapes but doesn't tell you how to think like keys to drawing does. (Keys to drawing teaches you how to critic and evaluate your drawing)

So how do you know what is really good? Do you just blindly trust /ic/'s expertise and anonymous honesty, or do you just judge everything by yourself because you know you're a genius?

What is the best way to improve in the end? Is every book good? Is keys to drawing a meme everyone fell into?
>>
File: 20170217_132153-1.jpg (757KB, 2703x1850px) Image search: [Google]
20170217_132153-1.jpg
757KB, 2703x1850px
>>2865099
Rotated pic
>>
File: 20170217_132153-1-1.jpg (752KB, 1849x2625px) Image search: [Google]
20170217_132153-1-1.jpg
752KB, 1849x2625px
>>2865101
Im going to kill myself
>>
>>2865105
Don't worry, i'm bumping your thread
>>
>>2865099
Because it's teaching how to stop symbol drawing. draw a box and thinking in 3-d is the next step after that. Breaking out of symbol drawing is a must for anyone who wants to learn to draw, so is thinking in 3d but you can't think in 3d very well if you still symbol draw.
>>
>>2865099
>Do you just blindly trust /ic/'s expertise and anonymous honesty, or do you just judge everything by yourself because you know you're a genius?

Most people who have any chance of being decent in the future have a much better eye than a hand. Should be able to walk away for 2 minutes, look at their work, and immediately be able to levy at least 10 criticisms against it.

If you can't then you need to study some actual artists first and then come back to see what's wrong.
>>
>>2865137
So drawabox is the "dlc"of drawing books? You read that on the side while your main focus will be on keys to drawing.
>>
>>2865142
Neither way of thinking is wrong nor will it handicap you in the future, unless you consider knowing a lot of ways to draw a handicap. Anything that raises your understanding of art and drawing is good. However, Keys to Drawing is just a stepping stone for drawing and if you want to draw from imagination you will grow out of the methods. But even somebody like Iain McCaig likes blindcontour. Even stepping stones require your best effort.

With that said, put your best effort into understanding and practicing whatever you are working on or with, ask yourself why you are told to do certain things, and try to see the strengths and weaknesses of the approach you are being taught. Don't decide how much effort to put in based on how long you will utilize the technique. And don't work with books where you can tell the drawings suck, lol hogarth.
>>
>>2865170
(cont). In other words, you don't need to do them side-by-side. Keys to Drawing isn't a book that is focused on 3-d thinking. So if you are trying to think in 3d and work the way it is telling you to in keys to drawing, you will just overload yourself.
>>
>>2865172
>>2865170
Solid advices. Thanks
>>
>>2865141
I think he was talking about /ic/'s expertise on art books
>>
your website has a lot of flaws and design mistakes.

-t. web programmer who unfortunatly doesn't have time to give further advice

good luck on your studies
>>
>>2865723
shit wrong thread saged.
>>
What are the exercises in drawing on the right side of the brain the only one iv'e encountered is the upside down one in the sticky
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.