[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where to point a 13 year old?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8

File: (You).gif (335KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
(You).gif
335KB, 400x400px
My younger sibling caught me doing my LAS submission and revealed she really likes drawing too, but is frustrated about her being so novice at it. She, coincidentally, feels too old to get good like I do, despite only being 13!

I told her what someone should've told me at least; that is, you're NEVER too old, especially not at 13, and to power through any delusion you are, but I don't know where to point her for technical assistance since I'm a novice myself.

I didn't want to tell her to come to 4chan and read the sticky because she has a promising normie life ahead of her and doesn't need this containment site like I do. Any tips?
>>
>>2862886
Send her here and let her know the truth before it's too late.
>>
>>2862889
I would never ever recommend /ic/.
>>
>>2862892
Okay then, perhaps ask her why she wants to draw. When I was 12, I already knew, so she should too. Then tell her to draw that a lot.
>>
>>2862886
I discovered /ic/ at 14, and it has only ruined my life a little.

You could just send her to the sticky directly and tell her not to visit 4chan or just put the info into a word doc. Have her read the books too.

Tumblr is also good. Don't get me wrong, there are lots of terrible artists on that site, but there are also many helpful ones.
I found this by doing a quick search:
>http://godoodlego.tumblr.com/post/155186303722
I'm sure there are artists on there willing to give critique.

Since you are a beginner too, you could try learning together. Get her a sketchbook, read the books with her, critique her work, and teach her to be critical as well.

You could also post her work in /beg/ and relay the info to her (uhh, just say you're asking your "friends").
>>
>>2862886
Find out what she likes to draw and what she wants out of it. You could convey the contents of the sticky to her, but technical study would probably overwhelm her. Honestly your best bet is to simply provide a social outlet for her interest and provide motivation. Be the discipline she likely doesn't have, only slowly introducing academic materials. At that age you should work on keeping her interested. You also get the benefit of giving yourself an additional reason to improve.
>>
>>2862937
In other words, learning resources are very easy to come by. The will and drive to stick to it aren't.
>>
>>2862933
also youtube:
sinix and scyra are good for beginners.
>>
File: boobs.webm (692KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
boobs.webm
692KB, 640x360px
>>2862886
New knowledge is derived from previous acquired knowledge, so you gotta begin with perspective before anything else, since it's the foundation of pretty much everything drawn. Get her a good video series on perspective, because we all know kids don't have the attention span to read books nowadays. And then try to make her do free hand exercises too, in order to not get dependent of the guide lines.

But she's gonna give up after a week tops if you don't motivate her. Reward her hard work by, idk, giving her oral or something. Idk what kids like these days. Always try to incentive her, and make her look up to you.
>>
>>2862886
>>2862941
Right.
At thirteen (hell even now) I didn't know how much I liked anything.
>>2862886
A lot of the advice is good.
Do tell her to draw from life because that's something very simple and immensely helpful.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIoTV_GnnEs
https://www.youtube.com/user/moatddtutorials/videos

If you watch his videos with her you will both be able to improve. Some of the terms he uses she might not know, like extrusion and 3d modelling and what-not, so you should make sure she understands everything.

This is just a starting line, the attitude you need to have to really improve at drawing. If you can bring her to understand what he is saying at her age, she will have more potential than any of her other peers.

If she practices with the right materials she'll surpass everybody she knows, maybe except you, by the time she's 15.

Does she like anime? If she does, have her watch Bakuman. It inspired me to learn to draw when I was 15/16. I was horrible at drawing but pretty interested when I was a kid. But it made me think I could do something about it and change my life around from videogame addiction. I don't know if she'll connect with it, but it's worth a shot.
>>
>>2862980
>recommending this guy again
Are you that same anon who posted him the first time?
>>
File: loomis babby.jpg (60KB, 1016x803px) Image search: [Google]
loomis babby.jpg
60KB, 1016x803px
Ah to be young again.

I think the quickest way to unlock someone's observational drawing abilities is have them do "dots" on tracing paper (I think this is an early exercise in Keys to Drawing:

Make dots on one sheet of paper, set that paper aside, observe and try and recreate, and then compare. Do that a couple dozen times. From there move on to the upside down Picasso (you could even do something like an upside down line drawing or sketch of something she actually might like to draw like a disney character or something https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/9e/48/19/9e4819a3055abea4b38f0ab4777b1022.jpg).

What I'd do for a real young person moving even further forward is encourage them to draw a Mr. Potato head from life (gotta keep it fun, son-if you're funny and charismatic you should be able to keep it from coming across as patronizing, which is important). First I'd try and stress observational techniques like negative space, comparative measurement "Bargue" type shit etc, then move on to things like construction/perspective/Fun With a Pencil stuff in actual books from there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZIlBIIk6R8
>>
File: Just fuck my imagination up.png (551KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
Just fuck my imagination up.png
551KB, 900x900px
>>2863002
Eh, that particular sketch has TOO MUCH blank space, but you get the general idea.
>>
>>2862983
When? Where?

Mark's Drawing Tutorials are seriously good. He's always been pretty popular here, and he really helped me learn fundamentals when I was a beginner.
>>
>>2862951
>Reward her hard work by, idk, giving her oral or something. Idk what kids like these days. Always try to incentive her, and make her look up to you
art supplies, artsy girls love to collect art supplies
say that if she fills out a sketchbook by this time, you get her one thing art an art store under a certain price.
>>
>>2863006
Back in December if I recall correctly, some anon made a thread about it and how great it was.

Also
>He's always been pretty popular here
What? I'm here all the time and I don't see a single mention of him.
>>
>>2863002
Could a kid start from Loomis/ Fun With a Pencil?
>>
>>2863035
They could, but it would be extremely boring.
>>
>>2863036
I'm very curious Anon, how would you guide a child to improve at art; given that they're interest won't go away
>>
>>2863042
That's what you call a miracle, anon. If you met someone like that, you could probably tell them to do anything and they would. I've taught children before and all I did was told them to draw from a photo reference and to do it how it looks. Produced good results as far as I'm aware. But I don't meet special snowflakes and be able to lead them to the top.
>>
File: Blook Butt.jpg (229KB, 1451x571px) Image search: [Google]
Blook Butt.jpg
229KB, 1451x571px
>>2863035
I think they could, but Fun With a Pencil is a deceptively advanced book because it requires the reader to be able to draw ellipses and circles fairly well. She needs some kind of terse, expedient introduction to observational drawing and to supplement the things I suggested earlier, perhaps to have her practice the dynamic sketching techniques from Peter Han's videos would be a good idea to start before moving on to actual literature too, gnomesaiyan?

The biggest problem dealing with a young teenager is trying to make something that's pretty boring fun without being condescending. I really like the reward idea too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9EFfe47YsE [Embed]
>>
File: gothteenwithhopefullybetternose.jpg (298KB, 896x1200px) Image search: [Google]
gothteenwithhopefullybetternose.jpg
298KB, 896x1200px
>>2863046
>>2863046
Okay going to be very honest. There's this kid(brother) who I'm going on this site for because he thinks this is an elite drawing ground where artists come

He's gone through Loomis and sorta done alright, though I have no idea how to help him, and it seems his art from Loomis has just gone to faces

He seems very discouraged by something, I think it's just him plateuing

Is there any way to try and help him?

(Picture is what he drew a few weeks back. I'm no art teacher just some guy who likes to browse /ic/ occasionally)
>>
>>2863058
ps for some reason he wrote /16 i can assure you it's 2017
>>
>>2863058
>he thinks this is an elite drawing ground where artists come
Well, he's not wrong.

The beginning of Loomis is about faces, yes.

Probably discouraged by the fact that Loomis is very good and that it's almost impossible to produce anything near Loomis level even though he tries to make it simple for you.

Probably not. Usually it's impossible to help an artist as they are the only ones who can do the actual drawing.

But you could try. it really depends on what he wants. If he wants to be good, do still lifes and portraits from photos or from life, like you. These two things, you almost can not go wrong with, but they are sometimes boring. For kids at least. There's also a certain age where kids begin to want to draw realistically, and if he's not at that age then it might not work at all.

Drawing then rendering it with value is pretty much the way to go.
>>
>>2863011
Mmm, that wasn't me. Anyways, you're right. I sort of have a biased perception because I really like him and get excited when people mention him. I also haven't browsed actively in a long time. Looking through the archives you only hear of him a couple times per year...

>>2863058
Tell him to try to join an art community online. Helps a lot. Tell him art is difficult and not to give up. I've had really bad plateaus before that have made me doubt my ability to ever get good at drawing, but I was able to work through them. You have to tell him to be courageous. Try to create things you really want to express and not worry too much about your skill level.

Tell him that when he reads books, to really focus and read them slowly. You have to try as hard as you can to understand to the best of your ability what is being said and why it's being said. It might feel like you're hitting a brick wall sometimes but this is critical. Don't just read passively or draw through the whole book absentminded, really ask yourself if you understand what is going on and how you can make use of it.
>>
File: ic_fastest_way_to_improve.png (2MB, 720x2127px) Image search: [Google]
ic_fastest_way_to_improve.png
2MB, 720x2127px
>>2862886
Ask her what she likes to draw and why she wants to get better at it. Whatever her answers are, use that as her motivation to draw those things cuter or more realistically. It's up to her to decide how she draws and what she draws. Just give her something to strive toward.

The next part is a bit risky, but I have faith. Give her some art books, either physically or digitally. When I was her age, I could never stop looking at art books. Didn't matter if they were about concept art, fundamentals, or art history. Expanding her horizons will fill her head with the possibilities and open her mind. She might even try to replicate what she's seen in the books.

Even just giving her books on fundamentals would be great. Stuff that's easy to digest. Loomis starts off really simple and ramps up the level of detail later on, but always keeps his words and explanations at a basic level so that literally anyone can understand. If it were my little sister, I would get her books that pertain to her interests. Google Chrome can open any .pdf if you want to just download/torrent a bunch of books and let her experience them that way. If she has a smart phone or a tablet, she can read these digital books anywhere, even at school.

Do you have an example of her art? You don't have to share if you don't want to. I would personally like to see what her current skill level is, even if it's rudimentary chicken scratch. If she's stuck to symbol drawing this whole time, then learning the fundamentals will help her understand what it is she's trying to draw and how to draw it appropriately.
>>
>>2863065
I think he wants to cutesy stuff, that's what he's told me though.

And if he were to draw from life, would he simply pick up his pencil and paper and try to find something outdoors?
(Pic related)
>>2863070
Are there any good art communities that you can recommend? And about the critically reading portion of your post, should he switch books or still continue with Loomis?
>>
>>2863078
>tfw pic related
>forgot we're on 4chan
>an anime based board
>that's being browsed by a kid's brother who obviously watches anime
>it clearly runs in the family
I didn't see the connection until now. You could have just made it obvious and told me he wanted to draw cute anime girls, anon.

Draw from life means to draw what is around you, even inside. Like a chair, a table, a plate, a cup, etc. Except if you were to get really serious about it, you would put them together to form a sort of "set" that you could draw them all together in. Light comes into play too, so don't be in some dark corner unless you want to. It could be going outside though. However, if he wants to draw cute anime girls, he should draw cute anime girls, anon. There is no other way.
>>
>>2863083
Well Anon, I'm sure he wants to learn how to draw normally while also wanting to learn how to draw animoo

But I guess, he should just draw cute anime girls? I'm sorry, but I don't really know how he'll improve, though that may just me being dumb here
>>
>>2863091
Draw what he likes, enjoy it and also seek out good art so he knows what to aspire for. Sakimichan for example. Also watch Feng Zhu on youtube.

Here is a really good video on helping a person understand what goes into a really well done art piece

https://youtu.be/7rI6q6bv7do

https://youtu.be/nVZtq-3EhL4

This is to show you the process of a really cool painting
>>
>>2862886
>She, coincidentally, feels too old to get good like I do, despite only being 13!
Pfft, try 33.
>>
>>2863078
Deviantart will probably be okay.

Ask him: When you read Loomis' writing, is your understanding of what he is talking about increasing over time? Or is it as confusing as when you began reading?

He needs to read something where he can confidently say his understanding of drawing is growing day by day, otherwise it's over his head. Something like Keys to Drawing by Bert Dodson might be able to do that for him more so than Loomis.
>>
>>2863096
A guy would have little chance at 33, but a woman? She has all the time in the world.
>>
>>2863058
>he thinks this is an elite drawing ground where artists come
Fucking KEK
>>
>>2862886
copy paste the sticky, redact the i/c parts out and tell her you made it for her ( you techically did)
>>
>>2863097
Okay, thank you. I'll have him browse DA and stuff to look for a good community, along with a pdf of Keys to Drawing

Anything else before he sets foot once again?
>>
>>2863093
I think he can get that, I'm not that well versed in anime so I'm sure he can find some simple pictures of whatever he likes to "copy from"

Any last piece of advice?
>>
>>2863105
That if he ever needs help.
pm a person called "Firez"
He'll know what it means when the time comes
>>
>>2863107
Yeah, be supportive, don't tell him everything's good.

We hate hearing that.
>>
>>2863108
Sure thing, I hope he or she can help him

>>2863112
Don' worry, I'm not gonna be a hug box for him, but when he's down I'll pick him up

Thank you both, I appreciate the help you're giving him, hopefully he can do what I never had the effort to do
>>
>>2863118
You can still make it, anon!
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.