[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Calarts vs Russian Academy of Arts

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

Russian Academy of Arts
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f5/ec/79/f5ec79186592698144e8cea32d8979e0.jpg

Calarts
http://www.animatedbuzz.com/public/forum_post/9e/ed/ecb1_3ac0.jpg?c=0a9f

Why does everyone love the latter, and think anyone who appreciates the former is an evil racist?
>>
>>2861483
literally what the FUCK are you talking about OP

how are these two schools at all comparable esp. in terms of academic goals, and who the fuck even has an opinion on the Russian Academy of Arts
>>
>>2861483
because russians are evil racists

Delete this thread and kill yourself
>>
calarts has been criticized a lot as of late. compared to their contemporaries at gobelins and other high-tier art schools calarts student drawings look like scribbles
>>
>>2861483
What the fuck is the point of comparing those two? It's like asking someone if they prefer mustard or battery acid on their hot dogs.
>>
>>2861493
What are other high-tier art schools?
>>
File: tumblr_ofayt5CFAB1qh2uoro1_1280.gif (1006KB, 700x394px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ofayt5CFAB1qh2uoro1_1280.gif
1006KB, 700x394px
this thread sucks so i'm gonna post anatola howard's work (calarts bfa2) instead
>>
>>
>>2861497
>>2861501
So you can learn this kind of stuff at calarts
Impressive
>>
>>2861497
>>2861501
Good stuff
>>2861505
I think it comes down to the student. A place like Gobelins will force everyone to reach a high level of art where as Cal Arts lets people coast with muh style and they end up finding a job through connections. Also the ability of 2d animators in the West is seriously weak because all of the prevalent styles are just super flat and graphic and don't rely on the fundies. I think if a student is dedicated to gitting gud, the resources are there for them to learn tho.
>>
>>2861512
>A place like Gobelins will force everyone to reach a high level of art
Really now? How does it do that?
>>
>>2861512
dude, gobelins and calarts literally send their students to each other on exchange programs...... do you really think they would do that if there wasn't some level of general competence between the two schools rather than an imbalance of skills
>>
>>2861514
I mean they just seem to be more focused on the fundamentals and they seem to have a stricter quality requirement. Having a solid base is important there whereas in cal arts it's possible to get by with weak drawing skills if you know how to animate well. Just my assumptions tho, I don't really know anything about either school aside from the student work I've seen floating around.
>>2861519
I'm talking out of my ass here but it's just based off the student work I've seen from both. The average level at Gobelins seems higher to me, not to say that cal arts isn't a good school or that it can't provide quality education. It's just that I've seen plenty of cal arts people who graduate with kinda weak fundies and they can only do the generic cal arts style. And about the exchange program, they're both the top schools so obviously it would be beneficial to let those who are interested to transfer around, my point was more that Cal Arts isn''t as strict at quality control as Gobelins. But yeah, I have no clue what I'm talking about so if you've actually done some research than you know more than me and you're right.
>>
>>2861512
>I think if a student is dedicated to gitting gud, the resources are there for them to learn tho
Not disagreeing with this at all (hell, /ic/'s archives are probably one of the most extensive, free art information sources), but doesn't France have a much more accessible pipeline for artists' education, starting from high school? Not everyone has that opportunity or that much flexibility to hone their craft, so it makes sense for France's art schools to have a much more concentrated level of skill compared to North America, where it's a lot harder to have access to quality schooling and didactic learning is the norm.

Plus, unless I'm mistaken, but Gobelins' student populace is, on average, older than Calarts' and a ton of their students already have academic or formal education experience before applying.

I don't mean to excuse the weaknesses of Calarts and other unis with the same school of thought, but a lot of what makes Gobelins successful is how early formal art education can start for its attendees.

Of course, there's definitely people who are motivated and rigorous enough to git gud and break into industries on their own (like BahiJD). But those people are outliers.
>>
>>2861531
Interesting, I didn't really know any of that. That's definitely a possible explanation as to why the average Gobelins student seems to be at a higher level than Cal Arts.
>>
>>2861514
Well I know one of the first things they make you do is create unique character animation for the cat from Pinocchio.
>>
>>2861541
>create unique character animation
What does this mean
>>
>>2861542
? You take an existing character, I.E. the cat from Pinocchio and then you animate it doing something new and original like riding a bike. At least that's what I think he meant.
>>
>>2861483
>let's compare a fine arts long figure drawing study to a quick study from someone interested in animation
Real smart, OP.
>>
>>2861519
>those digital "touchups"
>>
>>2861494
>>2861486
probably the same person who made the david kassan vs nadar thread
>>
Why do all those Calarts apply sketchbooks looks the same?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqj2yJW6aYI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtHYGjEuDI4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y1I3humKGA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFx1yORisOY
>>
>>2862093
those really aren't really representative of all the accepted sketchbooks
>>
>>2862102
This guy you keep posting is an outlier, most of the alumni is total shit at animating.
>>
>>2862093
Those are pretty good, idk what your trying to prove
>>
File: 1470285960121.gif (3MB, 283x238px) Image search: [Google]
1470285960121.gif
3MB, 283x238px
>>2861530
>I'm talking out of my ass here
"i dont know what im talking about, but here's my opinion..."
>>
Why the FUCK do people like bananas when there's apples? I only like apples and so should everyone else
>>
>>2863497
wow dont people understand that liking apples proves the existence of white genocide????? bananas are a jewish invention! here are black crime statistics and smug pepes that prove me right
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.