[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Standing on the Shoulders of Giants

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: Gel before and after.jpg (109KB, 918x594px) Image search: [Google]
Gel before and after.jpg
109KB, 918x594px
Does anybody else feel kinda gross for being able to use a computer to draw things? Admittedly, the one on the left still isn't very good, but jesus christ, it feels like cheating being able to take something that looks as abysmal as the thing on the left and be able to do anything with it. I remember watching the Bobby Chiu interview with Craig Mullins, and he mentioned that the footprint of the software designers is present in every painting we do, and that weighs on me because it highlights just how lacking in actual drawing skills anybody has to be to make something look halfway decent. At times, it makes me incredibly ill. Does anybody else feel the same? If you don't, would you care to explain why you don't feel that sense of guilt? I'd like to hear it from someone on the other side of this.

oh, and of course feel free to shit on the drawing. My ego could probably use several good kicks to the balls.
>>
>>2860111
what??
How the fuck do you use computer to draw stuff.
Don't use a tablet or something.
>>
>>2860114
Don't you use*
>>
>>2860115

Yes I use a tablet.

I was referring more to the idea that the software is doing a lot of the heavy lifting, not the mechanical way in which digital artists draw.
>>
>>2860117
what heavy lifting exactly??
Please, speak to the point instead using this weird ass language.
>>
Just report these shitposting threads and move on.
>>
That's like angsting that a computer can do math better than you, don't be a luddite OP

If it bothers you that much just draw traditionally
>>
>>2860120
By heavy lifting, I mean using digital tools to accomplish something in a piece of art that you normally wouldn't be able to using a traditional method. Apparently I'm just crazy though, given the responses so far.
>>
>>2860111
This is like saying the particular brand of pencil or paint you use has an overwhelming effect on the end result of the art you create with it.

It's not about which medium you use, it's all about the skill of the artist, that's all that matters, digital doesn't magically make you good.
>>
>>2860111
You comparing digital to traditional as you would compare photography to 3D sculpting. Photography isn't cheating because it allows you to capture an image of a 3D object with a press of a button. They're different mediums used in different ways, each takes a lot of skill to create quality work.
>>
>>2860111
I think using digital as your medium definitely has its benefits to make creating a piece easier, but like >>2860125 said, I think that it's how an artist utilizes those benefits to make a piece meaningful.

There's lots of shitty digital art out there, and there's nothing like seeing and feeling the texture of traditional art. Art has been influenced by science in the past, and I feel like they will only have a stronger synergy as we progress into the future, for better or worse.
>>
File: smug.jpg (41KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
smug.jpg
41KB, 500x374px
>>2860121
>report
>/ic/
>>
>>2860130
>nothing like seeing and feeling the texture of traditional art

This is why I like to stick a piece of paper over the drawing surface of my tablet, feels so much better, more control too with the better friction - try drawing perfect circles with and without a piece of paper, you'll see what I'm talking about.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.