[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how do I utilize the medium of graphic novels?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

I had some ideas for a story,so I immediately started working on a graphic novel.Currently I learning panelling,compostional storytelling,framing and all.
But the question bugs me a lot is how do you make the most out of the medium of graphic novels in unique ways?how do you get the skins of readers subtlety by just using the medium itself like Junji ito or Alan Moore does, how do I keep the the readers engrossed with the use of script and dialogues(even though I will have a script of course) I know many artist who use the page-turn trick as a immersion but I am not making anything remotely attached to horror.So how am I supposed to do it? how do fully use the medium I am working with?
>>
interesting, I had pretty similar question too...finna bump this thread 4u
>>
>>2860110
>page-turn trick
What does this mean?
>>
This is a bit subjective to the story on itself.
If it's a more visual thing, you'd use larger panels or sometimes not be so tidy with panels, experimenting.
If it's dialogue heavy, I'd try to think of panels and pages like scenes from a movie, being fluid between them.
But in the end, you'll only keep people interested if the story is compelling, the characters deep and the art isn't "hard on the eyes".
>>
>>2860126
A hook, or bait for you to turn the page.
Like have the last panel show the muzzle of a gun shooting, but if you want to find who shot who or if the shot hit someone, you have to turn the page and continue reading.
>>
>>2860110
> how do you make the most out of the medium of graphic novels in unique ways?

Years of experience. Being unique is not something you should worry about before you have finished even your first comic. For now all you should focus on is learning the basics and actually sticking to them. You won't get the most out of your medium with your first ever attempt at said medium, that's just not gonna happen.
>>
>>2860126
A way to scare/hook audience by revealing new shocking information right the beginning of the next page, the page that comes before just gives you the reaction of a character to something, the next conveys the information to you.
>>
>>2860135
>Years of experience. Being unique is not something you should worry about before you have finished even your first comic.
I totally understand your point ,but there should be a way right. I mean yeah, your first project is never supposed to be your best or anything and it doesn't necessarily needs to be unique.
but what I want to know is: in a film director and cinematographers uses colors and compostion,framing and stuff to tell a story,thus utilizing it's medium.
how are you supposed to that in comics?Of couse visual is one of the primary elements you are dealing with but what else, paneling?
>>
>>2860150
i have a book that's essentially just a collection of essays from alan moore that was published over a few issues of some magazine that featured him as a writer for a bit back in the 80's. the most useful bit i feel you can pick up from it was how you shouldn't really force ideas while writing. just let ideas come to you as they do and write them down/file them away mentally if you have the capacity, creating a kind of library of neat lil things you could do to tell some part of a story. these ideas can be wholly original, modifications of common tropes or even just a trope played straight. remember tropes aren't inherently bad, just a kind of established structure within a genre type thing.

also get into some other creative medium, changes up your brain way an helps you think of things differently which leads to more weird thoughts like "hey, what if i did some fight scene in a hall way with pipes running along the wall behind them and all the heads/fists/feet line up with the pipes not unlike sheet music or some shit"
>>
>>2860110
I find it that paneling is the most important to me, if the art and story is good if you only have standard "cinematic" paneling i lose interest really fast.
>>
>>2860179
if the story is good, don't you want to keep reading
>>
>>2860186
I do but if it is either a long one shot or many many issues i almost need for the panneling to be good as well,paneling can be really fun and useful to move the story along and i get frustrated when it isn't used to it's fullest.

I'm not saying that it needs to be wacky everytime like early Leinil Yu or current Rockafort but if you only go classic Hitch eventually it ends up being a tedious read.

Paneling can be very useful to convey a change of mood as well, like JH Williams III does.
>>
>>2860126
I think OP is talking about flip-o-rama. The stuff found in captain underpants comics
>>
Read watchmen and the reread it with these companions
http://www.capnwacky.com/rj/watchmen.html
https://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~sjblatt/watchmen/o.html
https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/moulthro/hypertexts/wm/wm.htm
http://www.readingwatchmen.com/
>>
>>2860177
thanks anon, I really needed something like that
>>2860179
yeah this is why I really felt paneling and framing is really something I should focus a lot on.
>>2860314
will check it out
>>
File: file.png (2MB, 1200x923px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
2MB, 1200x923px
>>2860179
>>2860199
http://readcomiconline.to/Comic/The-Sandman-Overture

I recommend reading Sandman Overture to see an artist making the most out of paneling, even if it might come off a bit "show-offy" at bits it is much better than just ignoring it.
>>
>>2860110
That's the same artist from Shaolin Cowboy right? this stuff is delightful
>>
>>2861294
This is really good, if you know who the Corinthian is. Really interesting paneling that integrates into the story.
>>
>>2860314
Thanks man.
>>
You need to read "Comics and Sequential Art" by Will Eisner.

One thing to remember is to treat each page as a standalone piece. Pages are your compostiional currency, like the common denominator of the graphic novel.
Your story may flow, but it has to work with the unit of the page.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.