[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do people learn by themselves? Do they just draw everyday

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 10

File: 1481142892796.jpg (81KB, 683x767px) Image search: [Google]
1481142892796.jpg
81KB, 683x767px
How do people learn by themselves? Do they just draw everyday everything they see? How would that help you improve?

How do you improve by yourself, is that even possible? You can't possibly see all the mistakes in your drawing, how are you going to fix them? Even if you see them, how do you know how to fix?

How to self learn?
>>
>>2859186
You draw something, it looks bad, you ask yourself why it looks bad, you fix that from now on. repeat
>>
>>2859188
What if it just looks off? It's just plain bad and you don't know what the fuck to do.
>>
>>2859190
Cry and understand that you're Not Gonna Make It.
>>
If you are not sure when something doesn't look right, you can simply ask for feedback online
>>
>>2859186
follow a lot of (good) artists on social media.
Compare their work to yours and try to answer why yours looks like shit compared to theirs.
>>
>>2859186

Been self-learning for 8 years now. Will post werk in a second, lemme find it,

As far as learning, i compare my stuff to either major artists, or my past work. I've been reading up and learning the fundamentals since i found this board 2 years ago (tho fuck loomis meme, there's more than his series to draw from for excercises.) When i was 15 and wanted to get serious, I found Peter han's workshops and exercises, and i still do them to this day.

Im prone to getting distracted by Overwatch too much, but I like to do at least a half page to a full page of anatomy work in my sketchbook a day, and I practice digital stuff for at least 5 hours every time I get on. Rendering is my next step, with all that entails. Light, form, and comp.
>>
>>2859186
well observation skills are the first thing. that includes knowing methods of comparison, like plumb lines and shit. that's all you need really, just ways to compare your thing to a real reference. if you're lost, in drawing from a reference, or even imaginative drawing, you can always compare it to the real thing. knowing how to compare will let you see the things that are wrong with it, and fix them

>>2859190
you need to investigate why. if you're drawing from a photo, maybe trace over it, compare the tracing to your drawing, see if it looks better and why. you can actually compare line length and angle. look at the proportions of each element in the image, see if they're correct.
see if this thing is sized correctly relative to this other thing in the photo
for example, "in the reference, the nose at the base is as wide as the eye, is it the same on my picture?",
or "due to perspective, the eye on this side is two thirds the width of the eye on the closer side, and it looks like there's about a one-eye-width between the eyes",
or "if i draw a line straight down from the apex of the eyebrow here, i'll reach this corner of the chin"
basically it's all about comparing one element to another. and then you can even do this with stylized stuff and any good artist, as another anon suggested, to learn artistic techniques

also if you're on here you don't need to be totally alone, you can at the very least post something here and ask what's wrong with it.
>>
File: 20170213_144349[1].jpg (803KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20170213_144349[1].jpg
803KB, 2048x1536px
>>2859213

Old work
>>
File: 20170213_144525[1].jpg (838KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20170213_144525[1].jpg
838KB, 2048x1536px
>>2859235
More
>>
File: 20170213_144734[1].jpg (891KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20170213_144734[1].jpg
891KB, 2048x1536px
>>2859236
and then shit i did yesterday at work
>>
>>2859213
>overwatch

ngmi
>>
>>2859238
drawing for 8 years and this is what you show?
>>
>>2859217
I see, didn't really think about comparing things before, for some reason this is so simple yet wasn't something I thought of doing often.
>>
>>2859186
>not reading the sticky
It's pretty simple. *inhale*
First you learn the fundamentals, then you expand your visual library, then you combine those two to draw cool shit.
If you don't know how, it's through continuous, deliberate practice. Bad at perspective? Work on perspective. How? Read a book, do the exercises, observe those principles in nature, watch a video lecture, watch a timelapse, practice practice practice. Repeat for all the other fundamentals such as line, shape design, form, gesture, anatomy and so on.
Analyze every drawing, take notes in your sketchbook on what looks off, go to /ic/ and lurk to get a general idea on how to analyze a drawing (how to 'critique').
Give feedback, post your work, get feedback, get called a faggot for not submitting proper feedback / proper artwork and the next time, take that information into account.

Boom, you're improving! After a while, you'll know what books to read, what artists to listen to and what to look for in a bad drawing.
>>
>>2859186

just draw anything and everything! ;)
>>
File: thisplaceisgreat.png (227KB, 895x1029px) Image search: [Google]
thisplaceisgreat.png
227KB, 895x1029px
>>2859186
>>
By reading the sticky written by a superior artist that we all know and love *winkeydedinkedeedink dink ;-) ;-)
>>
if u wanna get into figures there is no better starting point than torrenting prokos figure fundamental course. this is of course after you've upped your mechanical skills and studied some perspective
>>
>>2859302
who, chunbum?
>>
>>2859244

why would he post stuff that'd let us ID him
>>
>>2859348

I wouldn't look at anything proko related.
>>
>>2859361
proko's videos are good though
>>
>>2859363

Good but not great and definitely not superior in choice.
>>
>>2859186
The hardest part about art is that there's no hand-holding.

You will not see all of the mistakes at first and thats perfectly fine. Just focus on the ones you see.

As you get familiar with color theory and composition and other fundamentals, you will be able to detect more mistakes in your work and work through them as well.

Good luck.
>>
it's not like just your hands improve your eyes improve as well though not at the same rate
>>
>>2859355

lol im also a goddamn, wretched, /ic/-can't-stand-it furfag, so theres also that
>>
>>2859186
>How to self learn?

Cant self learn without discipline
can you draw for 8+ hrs
>>
>>2859186
the sticky and draw a lot
>>
File: ohyeahbabyASDF4FASDFF.png (335KB, 693x511px) Image search: [Google]
ohyeahbabyASDF4FASDFF.png
335KB, 693x511px
>>2859186
yeah i what i did was get gud, lots of hours in as much as i could. i mostly looked at other popular japan artists that i liked, took what i liked from them and did it in my own way until i developed a style that i cant escape from, literally this is how you form a style.

example: its my day off today and tomorrow, I'm going to spend the entire day today and tomorrow drawing because its what I love to do. I did this drawing this morning and took the coloring style from a japan artists that I liked and mixed it with mine. BOOM I'm suddenly better. you'd never know unless I told you.

10 hours on a day off is pretty normal for me, if it sounds crazy its really not, do it enough and its normal... believe itttttttt
>>
>>2859235
>>2859236
>>2859238
erm, okay ?
>>
>>2859186
>do they just draw everything they see
kinda. im mostly self taught (would post my shit but im at uni procrastinating) but i can confirm it takes a long time. ive been drawing seriously since i was 10 and i only feel like i improved because i pushed myself to improve. there are probably 100's, if not thousands of examples of "self taught" people who do utter shit because they never do anything different. those people stuck to their comfort zones and never chose to grow.

i drew for a long time before i started seeing substantial progress because of my limited resources at the time. at first i just drew what i liked, which at first was pokemon and anime (keeping in mind i started when i was 10), then at some point i figured i understood how those drawings were constructed. something just clicked after a while, and i could draw those things with my eyes closed and still get nearly the same results. by that point it was getting boring to draw because i wasnt actually improving any more. when you copy everything you see you can only get as good as the person you are copying from, which is obviously not good. so then i started drawing from more realistic sources. i started drawing animals from the VHS covers of old documentaries, i started taking photos of birds and eventually people and started drawing them. after about a year of that i only THEN realised that maybe "using simple shapes to construct images" was a good idea. only after 5 years of drawing on my own did i realize the value of planning and proper theory. it was also around that time that i first my own internet connection (about 6 years ago) and then gained the resources to really improve.

tl;dr: you can improve by yourself, but its an excutiatingly long process and your better off reading the sticky because you will make 10 times the progress in 1/3rd the time if you do.
>>
>>2859186
>How do you improve by yourself, is that even possible?

no, it is literally impossible. please write a check and join your nearest scam cente- I mean art school ASAP.
>>
>ic locals say to practice 8-10 hours a day
>have ADD
>can't even focus on something that doesn't interest me for longer than 30 minutes, and even get distracted while doing things I like
>can't truly focus on something without meds
I was prepared for pain when I decided to improve my art skills, but this pretty much doubles it.
>>
>>2862650
meds are no good
only way to fix ADD is through forming healthy habits. it's hard to do but you can make yourself, essentially, a habitual hard worker who is just used to focusing.
right now getting distracted is habitual behavior for you, meds are not the answer for this and probably make it worse when you're not on them.
>>
>>2862650
>I was prepared for pain when I decided to improve my art skills
You don't even know what kind of pain exists yet and is waiting for you. It's much worse than you think it is. It will make you question everything that you ever have known.
>>
>>2859186
I keep my past work and i write the date including month on witch i drew them then i compare old to new
>>
be passionate about it and practice as often as you can. learn about human anatomy too, that's a real step there. surround yourself with an artstyle you like that is easily mimicable until you find your own style, but dont limit your creativity to one style too. like a lot of things, it takes time and dedication, but I like to think that anyone can draw, no matter the experience under their belt or how shit-tier the waifus they create might be. and like any shitty sport, just have fun.
>>
>>2862761
>surround yourself with an artstyle you like that is easily mimicable
So like anime and manga
>>
>>2862764
if you enjoy manga/anime aesthetics yeah, it really depends on what you like and what you want to draw like (because usually those strike a parallel)
>>
>>2862761
What if I've forgotten what fun is?
>>
>>2862786
if you feel something that isn't morose disgust when you look at your drawing I think you're going the right direction
>>
>>2862829
Is that so, thanks.
>>
>>2859190
mirror it, that usually makes me realise whats wrong
>>
>>2859186
just sit down and try to draw something. Compare your work to the work of artists you like and try to match their skill level.

And yes this place does suck.
>>
>>2859186
>How do people learn by themselves?
By thinking and discovery. Maybe reverse engineering is the word.
>Do they just draw everyday everything they see?
You can become an artist even without drawing because it's all in the mind. Train the mind and the eye of the mind.
>How would that help you improve?
Drawing everyday just fuels the despair. Like those over-commended hyperealistic crap of nonsense who end up selling all their materials on e-bay.

>How do you improve by yourself, is that even possible?
Do birds teach other birds to fly? They don't even have proper language. You need self-sufficiency and intuition and quit being a crybaby.
>You can't possibly see all the mistakes in your drawing, how are you going to fix them?
By growing up not chronologically but mentally. try looking for your childhood scribbles and see the difference. It's like asking your parents how the fuck you will fucking know your mistakes when you're a peer-pressured rebellious son of a.

>Even if you see them, how do you know how to fix?
You're not a tree. Unless your hands are gone? Maybe try using your mouth.

>How to self learn?
By not having a tutor. Jeez. Maybe make a tulpa or something or an alter-ego you while you're at it.
>>
>>2859348
Proko's content is up on torrent??

>>2859367
What would you consider a better alternative?
>>
>>2864630
Villpu
>>
>>2864629
>You can become an artist even without drawing

So you are saying I don't need to train my hand reflexes?
>>
>>2864914
No he's fuck'n retarded.
>>
>>2862650
I have ADD, it makes it hard for me to focus on things that don't interest me, however I am perfectly capable on focusing on something that does interest me. The key to dealing with ADD is being interested in whatever you're doing.
>>
Books and videos

Personaly I prefer learning by myself because I can go to my own pace, the classes I've taken are all over the place.
>>
I don't draw, but I am a sculptor who works with Terra Cotta. I learn by referencing anatomy and incorporating that into my sculptures. It is most definitely, a learning proccess, but I am getting better by the day.

The key is to make art for yourself, and to understand that "art" is absolutely a labor of love.
>>
>>2865053
>art
>labor of love
or you know, a labor of self-loathing. that's how I do my art.
>>
>>2865135
To be honest, I'm equal parts loathing of myself as I am in love with what I do. I suppose, at least for me, it's healthier to focus on the love of my art- rather than fester about myself and my own inadequacy (when I look at the works of master sculptors).
>>
>>2859235
>>2859236
messy imprecise lines imo
>>
>>2865043
How do I go about convincing myself to be interested in drawing when dealing with practice, studies, learning hurdles, and comfort zones?

Usually I lose interest quickly if I find myself having any trouble or difficulty, which is another thing I need to work on.
>>
>>2865570
You don't. You either have an interest or you don't. It's literally a thing you're born with. You thought talent was a meme? It's not. If you want to draw though, just draw. Want to draw an orange? Get a picture of an orange and try your best to convey it through whatever medium you're using.
>>
>>2859195
problem with that is
what if you know what is wrong, but feedback isn't going to fix something that is just hashing it out until you get it right; ie practice
>>
>>2859369
no

you WILL see mistakes
every goddamn LINE is a fucking mistake and you have no fucking clue why, it just doesn't look good

you keep drawing, over and over, trying to place those lines the RIGHT way, but all your doing is learning bad habits and such that you can't unlearn

too long of a line, too short, this isn't right or that isn't the right shape or proportion

heads too small, arms too long, this this and that go that way, but not how you drew it, yours looks like shit. all you know is wrong wrong wrong. you've mastered wrong for far too damn long and all you fucking see is right, but its not whats on your damn canvas.

you hope that following others gives you inspiration, but all it does is remind you were you are in drawing, square 1.

for too many years, off and on getting excited that X or Y made you go "i have ideas, great ideas. time to draw out those ideas" and you spend 2 hours trying to do something that you know you shouldn't bother because you don't know how to do it, only what it looks like

tl;dr

learning on your own is fucking worthless
just don't fucking do it
get a class or an artfag friend to help, because you ain't getting this shit done within a reasonable amount of time on your own and being happy with anything your pen scratches out

-"drawfag" since 2006
>>
>>2865936
Post your work, if you're still shit after this long, don't trust a word that comes out of this anon's post.
>>
>>2865942
i am still shit, just believe me
i try to work for as long as i can, but i just get depressed knowing that its all for not.

why bother trying to get the idea out when it will look nothing like how i imagine it? i don't want to go to a drawthread and have them do it, its why i keep trying over and over.

but i never learn
i can't practice because i get bored as hell in 30 mins drawing circles and shit, trying to figure out just how the fuck proportion even works. i shouldn't even be trying to draw a complete person, but even then, arms/legs/whatever else is a complete challenge in its own right.

its not just an arm, you have like 50 things that make up the arm, how the arm looks at X and Y, how the arm bends, where it bends, when its bending at X and Y degrees what muscle is moving?

so much fucking shit to know, better break out that LOOOOOOMIS, because its gonna tell you everything and then, when its posted on here, its absolute shit. so much so that anons can't even bother to redline something that doesn't need to be since its basic beginners shit that couldn't be explained in any other way but

practice
practice
practice

but how?
how do you practice? how do you know your practicing CORRECTLY? are you even walking in the right direction in pitch black, no. your just walking back down a hill instead of climbing it and when you are climbing it, your legs and arms are broken and your slowly moving with just your mouth pulling your body forward.

all i've wanted to do was anime, like most kds, but i didn't want it to be shit. i wanted to be proud of what i drew, others to say "that looks cool" and don't give me that shit about people not wanting attention. art is the fucking definition of attention and all of /ic/ knows it.

no one does art and doesn't want their fucking dick sucked
>>
File: 1477019089455.jpg (201KB, 550x776px) Image search: [Google]
1477019089455.jpg
201KB, 550x776px
>>2865951
Anon, the problem with you is that you've chosen the No Fun Path. The idea that you MUST master the Fundamentals is ingrained into your mind, and it MUST be boring, otherwise it doesn't count.

You know what you want to paint, but you've this mentality that you're still not allowed to do so. This isn't true. Artists don't get better like this; you'll jjust burn out and lose all passion for art, since it has become more of a chore than a fun thing.

Artists have something they like visually: Sexy girls/Guys, Robots, Animals, heck, even furries.

What do they do to improve? They KEEP DRAWING those things. As time passes on, they notice certain mistakes on their artwork, so what do they do? Learn fundamentals, and then apply them to what they like drawing. They don't say "I'm not allowed to do this" they just do it. That artist that draws amazing mechas and robots? They began by drawing some mecha on TV they liked, and it surely looked like absolute shit when they started. But they kept going, kept trying, because that's what they liked. They eventually started using robots reference, picked up books on perspective, followed advice from pros...And that's how they got to the level they're nowadays. Not by following some retarded super-strict schedule of doing fundamentals.

You surely must have something you would like to draw. No artist in this world wants to draw EVERYTHING. Everyone has preferences and different tastes. You know what's good practice? Applying what you learned to what you like, right after you have learned it.

Stop waiting for you to become a pro and THEN start doing things you like, because it doesn't work like that. Start drawing what you like NOW.
>>
>>2866027
This is good advice. Thank you anon. I'm saving this for later.
>>
I feel ya OP, I've been drawing for years, but it's mostly just been really shitty doodles with no real practice. I've only started to really take shit seriously at 17. Now that I'm only a few months away from turning 18, Im still terrible, and it feels like I'm getting too old to get good.
>>
>>2867190
>Now that I'm only a few months away from turning 18
Umm, I don't think you should have pointed that out. I'd hate to see you banned for underage.
>>
>>2867221
>still terrible
Nothing lost anyways.
>>
>>2867190
Also, 18 is pretty young, so you've got a lot of time left.
>>
>>2867225
You don't remember being 18 before? It feels pretty old when you realize all your peers are successful and you've accomplish only a mere fraction of what they what.
>>
>>2867221
How long would they even ban me for?
>>
>>2867226
Anon, I'm only 20. It hasn't been that long. And it's not old. Stop comparing yourself to other people and simply dedicate yourself to doing what you want. Draw what you like and attempt to learn the fundamentals at the same time, that way you won't make drawing out to be a chore and eventually you'll want to keep drawing. The sooner you stop giving a shit where it doesn't matter, the better.

This isn't a race. Doing things sooner is definitely more convenient, but it's not life or death.
>>
>>2867228
He's fear mongering. You won't be banned
>>
>>2866027
That's a really good drawing anon, did you make that?
>>
I think it depends on a) how disciplined you are b) how well you can find resource and USE those resources c) networking.

I was mostly self-taught until college and honestly the scholastic route has proved to be lacking but I like the networking it affords me and the push to do shit I usually wouldn't. I'vē learned more just using social media than in class, honestly.

My sister is a self-taught photographer who just experimented a lot, read a lot, and networked with photographers to learn the ropes. She's getting pretty successful now.
>>
>>2867226
>You don't remember being 18 before? It feels pretty old

Here's the thing - you'll never get rid of that "too old" feeling. YOU ARE YOUNG, remember that. I don't know where you got that feeling from, that you're too old to make it. What the fuck? I can relate though. Even when I was 13 I always felt "am I too old to make it" because I was constantly compared to prodigies and other kids my age by my own parents (maybe it's an Asian thing), and I am guessing you have something like that in your background too.

But look at the big picture - we're still fucking young, we have years to go before we make it. Firez started when he was 28 or something, and so did other artists.

Just be happy that you're not afflicted with cancer.
>>
>>2867190
>Now that I'm only a few months away from turning 18
Fucking kek, try being a few months away from turning 28.

Also
>underage
Whatever, it's easy for you to ban evade anyway, I don't see the point reporting.
>>
>>2859186
>You can't possibly see all the mistakes in your drawing
Why not?
>>
>>2859186
>You can't possibly see all the mistakes in your drawing, how are you going to fix them?

I see mistakes in my drawings all the time, I just redline my own stuff or move onto the next piece.
>>
>>2867491
>Firez started when he was 28
Wait, what the fuck. How old is he now?
>>
>>2867526
34 or something IIRC
>>
>>2867506
ALL the mistakes, every single one. Can you really see them all?
>>
>>2867642
As well as anyone else, I guess.
>>
>>2866027
colorized
>>
>>2867250
its by kim jung gi
>>
>>2867498

I'm 32 going on 33 and I can't break out of the beginner's thread.

This is a fun game.
>>
>>2865570
The best way is to apply this stuff to things you do like.

Like, if you like cars, then try drawing your favorite car. Not just sketch but by applying stuff like construction to it.
If you like a certain anime girl a lot, try drawing her in the same style, then in a different style. Try applying ideas like proportions and things to it. If you feel like you can't draw faces, then draw a character with different faces. Happy, sad, angry, ahegao, whatever it takes.

The best way to learn how to draw is to do so while drawing things you like. What's important is figuring out how to apply it to that by critical thinking. For example, drawing the same anime girl a lot will help you learn repetition, which is good for consistency. Drawing in various styles will help you learn better methods of tackling certain elements and mixing them into your own style. Drawing objects will help you learn construction which can be used for everything.

It's simply a matter of discipline to get up and draw even when you know it's going to be bad. An artist who draws through storms will be better off than the one who only draws fairweather.
>>
>>2867688
that looks like pure ass
>>
File: oh yeah.jpg (10KB, 441x408px) Image search: [Google]
oh yeah.jpg
10KB, 441x408px
>>2859244
>>
>>2862761
>>2862772
shit advice senpai, kill yourself.
You dont surround yourself with easy to mimic art like animu. you surround yourself with difficult to mimic art and then put in the effort to reverse engineer how they made it and do your best at recreating what makes that picture or analyzing a style. This is why the best artists learned from emulating the old masters, standing on the shoulders of giants.
>>
>>2867779
Unless you actually like old art like that, it's worthless. You surround yourself with art you admire, not just "good art". You can spend days analyzing the Mona Lisa, but that won't get you anywhere unless you actually like or appreciate it. You would get more out of studying animation for an anime you like if you like that enough.

You get better by focusing on what you like about art, and that won't happen if you don't surround yourself with the kind of art you want to create. Or admire.
>>
File: icant.png (1MB, 736x994px) Image search: [Google]
icant.png
1MB, 736x994px
Not being autistic works wonders.
>>
>>2867938
How does one not be autistic
>>
>>2867939
Alas, it's something you have to be born with. There are a few pointers I can give so that even your autistic ass can be slightly less so

First of all nobody learns art by themselves, everyone's work is based off the fundamentals and styles of artists who came before them. There's no discernible reason why you should need/want to "self learn."

Now here's the really good tips for not being so retarded, at least on this site. First you read the sticky, then you go to the art book thread and download a few to start with. After that, you get to work practicing to git gud, lurk this board and only post in established threads that your shitty art and/or shitty questions could fit into, instead of cluttering things up with your own threads.
>>
>>2867953

>Alas

Autism detected.
>>
>>2867956
>He focuses in on the first word instead of any of the actual advice
NOT
Thread posts: 95
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.