[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Scared of drawing from imagination?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: photo.jpg (77KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
77KB, 900x900px
So let's say you're intermediate level, and your observation skills are mediocre at best. Like when you copy stuff, they aren't necessarily correct. So when you try to memorize that, aren't you just internalizing bad habits?
>>
poor proko
>>
Why is he so fucking happy
>>
>>2858369
Because he has an asian wife that gives him some sweet time.
>>
>>2858342
Your visual library is based off of understanding and intuition of the appearance of things or the stylizationof things. When you draw out of your comfort zone, i.e when you put in real effort, you will be altering your visual library slightly. Drawing from imagination isn't drawing from memory, it's testing your understanding of visual information.

Drawing from imagination is drawing from understanding. KJG once stated that his understanding of the mechanics/anatomy of the figure is part of the equation for what he does. It's the difference between being able to recite facts versus being able to explain the reasons and the why behind the facts.

KGJ also stated before that you should study references in a way that makes sense to you, or is your personal understanding of the reference. In other words a more personal analysis. Even Glenn Vilppu says to always analyze when you draw, not just draw what you see.

Your drawings from memory of even something you recently drew is still limited to your understanding. I don't think that drawing something without proper understanding can be called a bad habit. In a sense most of us will be guilty of that for as long as we draw. When we gain the proper understanding, it's not like we will forget to utilize our newfound understanding, either. It's not like a habitual approach to drawing where one chicken-scratches or has a bad habit of drawing something without first thinking of what it is exactly they are going to draw.
>>
>>2858484
>KGJ also stated before that you should study references in a way that makes sense to you, or is your personal understanding of the reference. In other words a more personal analysis. Even Glenn Vilppu says to always analyze when you draw, not just draw what you see.
What does this even mean? Is this just something we all have to figure out on our own?
>>
>>2858484
This is the answer I was looking for. Thank you very much.
>>
>>2858487
It's the difference between drawing one torso in one position, because you remember it because you drew it once and being able to do the same torso in multiple positions and angles, because you know the proportion of the rib cage, how the skin is suppose to twist etc...

Browse the multiple angles threads on ic right know, you'll see what i mean
>>
>>2858487
I think it first starts with constructive approaches to drawing, i.e. understanding what is occuring 3dimensionally fairly objectively. For example, the eyelid curves around the spherical eyeball. When we study a reference, we can choose to overemphasize this concept to a point where it is happening more obviously in our drawing than in our reference.

everything in a reference is visual information that is open to our interpretation. We can break it down into mathematical proportions, or we can choose to ignore everything in it except one particular aspect, whether it be the drapery or the nose, etc.

If one were to draw fanart of a char, you can copy everything or you can choose only the features that are most relevant and important to you. Whether that is a certain symbol on clothing or their particular eyebrows. For KGJ most of the time he only remembers the most relevant and iconic details, and bullshits the rest. Its why everything he draws is so clearly in his style, but at the same time you still know its fanart or a certain franchise.

When you analyze what you draw, in the way vilppu says it, it's like understanding the visual information's essence. it is not concerned with minute likeness. it is analyzing the gesture and rhythm, firstly. It's an approximation or idealized gesture, often leading to a result that is more exaggerated than the reference. Then it is locating body landmarks on the gesture, building the basic 3d forms onto the gesture and recreating the interactions of anatomy in the reference on our drawing, emphasing often the forms occuring as a way to further the understanding of the mechanics of anatomy.

In vilppu's drawings there is often a clearer perception of what is happening 3dimensionally than in the actual reference. And that's because he draws what he knows and understands. It's an analytical approach, or constructive approach.

There are many more things to think about. But that's the beginning of it.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.