[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can I get a job with concept art like that?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

File: Harpy_ Present.jpg (4MB, 4961x3508px)
Harpy_ Present.jpg
4MB, 4961x3508px
Can I get a job with concept art like that?
>>
>>2858242
Depends, probably not.
>>
>>2858242
You're going to need at least 30 pieces of art to even have a chance.
>>
>>2858242
yep. easily.

thats better than kekai kataki stuff
>>
Of course you can get a job as a janitor with concept art like that.
>>
>>2858242

You are one the right track.

Presentation is a bit lackluster though.

Your biggest problem right now is your design sense which seems rather underdeveloped and basic. Unfortunately there isn't any easy way to develop it further so you'll just have to keep studying and bulding up your visual library.

And like the other anon said you need like 20-30 pieces of concept art demonstrating all the problem solving skills you need for the job.
>>
>>2858242
Like the other guys said, you're fundamentals seem to be on point, now just work on design, presentation and volume of work.
>>
If Metroid: Other M concept art exists, everyone can become a concept artist.
>>
>>2858629
>If Metroid: Other M concept art

Holy shit what the fuck
>>
>>2858242
not if you aren't girl
>>
>>2858242
Line quality and form, work on that shit.
Also watch some movies, follow good artists, surround yourself with a variety of influences, so you develop that taste of yours a bit. Keep it up.
>>
>>2858242
Name 3 movies/games from last 5 years where this kind of concept art could be used.
If you can't, then industry probably doesn't need this kind of concept art, and you'll have hard time find a job.
>>
>>2858242
The better question is: can one still get a decent job with concept art at all?
>>
>>2858242

Maybe for a mobile game
>>
>>2858242
Yeah it's pretty easy to get a job in concept art, just draw the same thing all the time and do freelance work for book covers and shit, my bro got relocated to iceland from the UK to work on concept art for the eve online people and he's not even a particularly good artist. Just put yourself out there and work on anything and everything.
>>
>>2858242
Drawing and form expression/viscom skills aside, your design itself is pretty weak.

There's a lot to talk about in regard to design so I can't give you a full critique, but if you're interested in pursuing concept art principles of design are extremely valuable to learn.
>>
File: UsDSIVc.jpg (28KB, 500x746px) Image search: [Google]
UsDSIVc.jpg
28KB, 500x746px
>>2858692
this meme again
>>
>>2858866
>do freelance work for book covers and shit
But how? i finished school a while ago and have no idea how to get in contact with people.
>>
>>2859116
If you have a background at a well known school or a studio you can network there.

If you don't have such a background, the best way to network is to have work that is so good that it makes people believe in you. If you can do that, artists, even seasoned professionals, will reach out to you.

If you have money, go with the first option, and if you don't, go with the second.
>>
File: Maurice_Favreau_CA.jpg (750KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Maurice_Favreau_CA.jpg
750KB, 1920x1080px
>>2858629

Holy fuck you aint lying
>>
>>2859201
Better than 62% of /ic/
>>
>>2859205

But for a triple-A developer with years of character design skills that are recognizable today, as well as more money than God, I'd say /ic/ needs to aspire to find themselves in an Other M-type job
>>
>>2858242
Why not, quality-wise it's great.
>>
File: Capture.png (172KB, 970x683px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
172KB, 970x683px
>>2858242
Thx for everyone's comment.
I will more focus on the design for later design for the same world.
Basically it is more a low-magic world but I am going to turn it to a more fantasy type just for easier form language and design.

BTW , some weapon idea WIP.
>>
>>2858242
but they already have claws as weapons.

art looks good
>>
>>2858984
>women act like its a meme to make themselves feel better about female priviliege
>>
>>2858242
email that to game developers every single day untill u get reply
>>
>>2859627
How exactly do they manage to fashion such weapons if they have no functional hands? do they do it all with their feet? How are they supposed to take off and land/perch if their feet are occupied?
>>
>>2859667
>>fashion such weapons
obviously there is a thumb

>>take off and land/perch if their feet are occupied?
Just drop that , genius
>>
>>2858242
Yeah of course. You're actually very good. Keep in mind this is the kind of stuff you have to pull off in one or two days though. I would say you're not good enough to just live from that though. You'll probably be given other tasks as well depending on the studio.
>>
I've seen some crap concept art. You'd probably need to network though, or find a small studio and work cheap.
>>
>>2859667
For that purpouse, how are they even capable of flight? What even are the laws of aviation.
>>
>>2858242
>>2859627

Hi OP, here are some tips.

Presentation:
- Let your designs speak for themselves. Those grey blocks in the background are just poor design choices: They distract because they're noisy. They have nearly the same value as the harpies, causing your designs to actually blend into the background, which is the opposite of what you want!
- Be consistent with what you show. On a single page I see 1 - outfit treatments, 2 - claw anatomy design, 3 - harpy designs. They do not fit together from a design viewpoint. also, if this is a collage of various stuff for presentation purposes, they are weak choices. The claw anatomy is generic and the tiny, grey harpy designs would be better shown on a different sheet, at a much larger scale.
- Make what you show count. Do not waste space by drawing attention to details that do not matter (the claws), or by having duplicates of the same design (one of the smaller harpies is just a copy of the big one).
This also means making substantial changes to every version you put on the sheet. You are making concepts so that an Art Director or Design Lead has options to choose from. Ideally, you want them to say "Give me the colour scheme of 4, the decorative details of 1 and the head and weapons of 3." You do NOT want to hear "don't like any of ém. Make 10 more." All 5 harpies have exactly the same color scheme, weapons and head details. It would have been super easy to change that for each of them.

part 1
>>
part 2

Execution:
- If you have one large, more detailed design and smaller ones for variations, there should be a clear reason for the bigger drawing. This is a good opportunity to show more detail and material treatment! Harsh versus soft feathers, razor-sharp, glossy nails and vicious beak versus loose, translucent skin. Etc. Show that you have thought of the physical appearance of materials, how they work together and how they are used to enhance your design. Even if you use a cartoony style with black outlines, there is no reason to ignore that.

Conceptual Design:
- Good conceptual design means looking at as many aspects as possible of what you are designing:
- First and foremost, number one, is: Does the design I made fully express the idea, message, emotion I want to convey?
- Function. No matter what are you designing (Clothing, objects, vehicles), think about its function, so that it is designed in such a way that it looks at least plausible, or work in an unexpected, novel way.
- Form: Think about biological, cultural, historical context. What kind of creatures am I designing? What are they based on? What kind of civilization and culture would they have based on that biological background? What kind of history would such a culture have?
- Some designers talk about the 80-20 rule. 80% recognizable, familiar elements in a design so as not to alienate the viewer, and 20% uniqueness to make it different. Stand out. Well, I'd like to make it as follows: 80% familiarity, 19% freshness, 1% holy shit.
The 1% holy shit means: That one little thing, that's totally outside-of-the box, unique point of view, crazy twist that pushes the whole design to the next level. The one thing that, when you see it, makes you think "Holy shit, I wish I'd thought of that."
Besides the generic harpy creatures, using generic bones and plants, I do not see anything fresh or unique and definitely not anything unexpected.
>>
Part 3

applying part 2 to your concepts:

The harpies look like vultures. So, doing 1 minute of research:
"Vultures rarely attack healthy animals, but may kill the wounded or sick. When a carcass has too thick a hide for its beak to open, it waits for a larger scavenger to eat first."
"Vulture stomach acid is exceptionally corrosive, allowing them to safely digest putrid carcasses infected with botulinum toxin, hog cholera bacteria, and anthrax bacteria that would be lethal to other scavengers. New World vultures often vomit when threatened or approached."
"Harpies steal food from their victims while they are eating and carry evildoers (especially those who have killed their family) to the Erinyes. Their name means "snatchers".

Quick analysis:
So, a species of humanoid vultures has evolved over time to become more intelligent and become a primitive culture. To improve their chances of survival the develop tools that allow them to cut open carcasses more easily, no longer needing to wait for predators to cut the bodies open. These tools allow them later to actually attack healthy animals to support a growing population, pushing the development of more advanced weapons. They start to use their corrosive stomach acid conciously as a weapon, collecting it in simple clay containers to use as bombs to attack animals or other harpy tribes.
>>
part 4

Design options:
- Design weapons that look like they were originally designed for cutting open carcasses. Sharp stones? Teeth from animals? Mayan weapons and culture might be interesting.
- Besides sharp clubs, knifes and spears, some harpies use stomach acid as a weapon. How would that work and look? Clay pots? Fat bomber harpies with thick acid-filled crops? That could look pretty cool.
- Culture and organization. Would they be individualistic? Tribal? If they live in clans, big families, would they use decorative elements to distinguish themselves from other clans? Use coloured powders, cut wing feathers in specific shapes (Native Americans)?
Use shells, teeth, clay beads for identification and rank?

This is basically the idea. you start off with a design brief, you ask simple, relevant question and try to answer them, following a line of reasoning to a logical conclusion. always try to go beyond the first thing that pops into your head. go beyond that first step to go unto new territory and you can surprise yourself, and others.
>>
File: harp.png (1MB, 1528x2631px) Image search: [Google]
harp.png
1MB, 1528x2631px
>>2862429
>>2862473
>>2862497
>>2862508
Not even OP, but i'm going to save these since i'm a beginner as well desu.
>>
>>2862429
>>2862473
>>2862497
>>2862508

doing god's work by putting that sort of effort into a crit, anon. Not the OP either but some of those tips were useful to me as well.
>>
>>2862508
OP here !
Thank you so much!

Where can I follow you?
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.