[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Movies about drawing?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

Are there any movies out there that deal with or romanticize drawing/painting? I recently watched La La Land and it was cool to see how the director made piano playing seem so awesome. Same thing with his other movie, Whiplash. He makes drumming seem so intense and really romanticizes the concept while hammering home the amount of sheer effort and sacrifice that is needed to even have a chance of making it.

But yeah, that got me thinking about drawing/painting and no movies really came to mind. There are a couple documentaries about it but nothing like La La Land or Whiplash where the craft is really put on center stage and explored. You guys know of any movies? Is drawing just less interesting than music cause you do it quietly and alone?

Share your thoughts d/ic/ks.
>>
Bump for interest.
So far I only seem mangos about drawing, I'd like to watch something specifically about drawing, instead of movies where the character drawing is just a secondary thing.
>>
File: Crumb 6.jpg (336KB, 826x1148px) Image search: [Google]
Crumb 6.jpg
336KB, 826x1148px
The documentary about crumb is great. Also Exit Through the Gift Shop, and the documentary about Norman rockwell.
>>
Cashback
>>
Egon Schiele - Exzesse was quiet nice.
>>
the draftsman contract by peter greenway
>>
>>2856020
Haven't seen the Rockwell thing but Exit through the gift shop was awesome. It isn't really about the craft that much tho, only for a bit in the beginning. It then goes into the whole mr. brainwash thing.

I feel like documentaries are usually focused on certain people or events and they just lay out the story and tell it to you factually. Not the way they do it in a normal movie where they can utilize the acting, sound design, directing, etc to really bring life into what ever it is that the person is doing. In a doc you might just see Rockwell sitting down painting while the narrator tells you facts about his life but in a movie you'd maybe have an over the shoulder shot of Rockwell as he measures the model, and the music would slowly start ramping up as he gets more and more into it and then maybe fade into night time or something, idk. I think movies are better at getting to the heart of something is what I'm trying to say.
>>
>>2856000
The Manben series is a Japanese documentary about mangakas that's had its first two seasons subtitled. There's a good balance of showcasing each artist's techniques and their thinking behind their works. There's not a whole lot of quality "let's watch this person draw and talk about drawing" documentaries out there.
>>
File: ArtSchoolConfidential_p1.jpg (2MB, 1880x2960px) Image search: [Google]
ArtSchoolConfidential_p1.jpg
2MB, 1880x2960px
Art School Confidential
>>
>>2856344

The protagonist was such a annoying little beta orbiter shit tho
>>
>>2856344
AAAAAAAAH The way he draws cigarettes in mouths really triggers me. He would have to be missing a tooth for that to make sense
>>
>>2856344
Goodness the irony, every character in that comic is sloppily drawn and stiff as a board.
>>
bump because I'm interested too
>>
File: 1477361360401.jpg (636KB, 1181x1839px) Image search: [Google]
1477361360401.jpg
636KB, 1181x1839px
what about anime focused on art/artists? figure this taiwanese amphibian image sharing board should know a few good ones
>>
>>2857267
There's Shirobako which is an anime about making anime, and Bakuman, a manga about making manga. Also worth mentioning is Blue Blazes, a live action show which is about drawing/animation, it's pretty funny too.
>>
>>2857267
A Drifting Life. Hell, I would read it even if you're not interested in Yoshihiro Tastumi or artists
>>
>>2857267
>>2857282
To add to that, Sketchbook (the anime is called Sketchbook Full Colors) is about high school kids in a fine arts club, and GA Geijutsuka Art Design Class is about girls in an art school. They're both comedy anime though so not a lot of serious talk about art and drawing. Definitely I would recommend Bakuman though (the manga over the anime for sure).
>>
File: paintin.jpg (208KB, 1536x864px) Image search: [Google]
paintin.jpg
208KB, 1536x864px
>>2857282
Barakamon is an anime about a calligrapher, but a lot of it is relevant to the kind of art on here too. Fear of the canvas, not wanting to create without planning and feeling good enough, obsessing over work so much you miss out on inspiration from life, etc.
>>
>>2856424
Maybe he actually went to art school. Also, I can't respect any comic that need to use little arrows to point you how the panels flow.
>>
>>2857282
Does Bakuman actually get any good?
I read it until the part they were serialized and changed editors to a fatty energetic guy, and it was quite a drag.
If we're recommending mangos, though. I like Kakukaku Shikajika a lot.
>>
>>2857401
Yeah when they changed editors that was a drag for me too, but the point of it was that not all editors are good for you and you need to use your own judgment. Maybe it just wasn't your cup of tea but I really liked how they went about solving issues and how they would actually fail realistically at times. The other mangaka characters I was into as well and their dynamics with each other.
>>
>>2856344
>become a serial killer
well looks like ive been on the road to making it for the past 3 years.
>>
>>2857434
I'll see if I finish it, then.
I actually like the kinda semi-realistic nature of the job they have. What I didn't like much about it is that the characters lacked a bit of depth, personally. For that part I liked Rin better, it's a mangaka manga from the guy that did Beck.
>>
File: image.jpg (20KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20KB, 300x300px
>>2856000
https://youtu.be/92-LPtzRfTQ

And La Belle Noiseuse...
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.