[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"You just gotta FEEL it"

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: main7.jpg (118KB, 980x510px) Image search: [Google]
main7.jpg
118KB, 980x510px
ITT: Prove Gesture Drawing isn't just a meme
Nobody can even agree on what it -is-
>>
b-but... vilppu...
>>
all you got to know is line of action
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gesture_drawing
>>
>>2855869
Just shut up. You can't make something not exist because you're too stupid to understand it yourself.

Gesture drawing is about forgetting detail and jotting down the dominant aspects of your figure in the most efficient way and as quickly as you can.
>>
>>2855875
Read: Sketching
It's a meme stop fucking denying it. The concept that drawing a spaghetti stick figure a billion times is a good Idea is a delusion perpetuated by talentless hacks who are too lazy to sit down and do actual studies. Or by successful buisnessmen who have figured out they can sell it to idiots like yourself and have to do no real work on their part.
>>
File: 1478657578904.jpg (12KB, 468x264px) Image search: [Google]
1478657578904.jpg
12KB, 468x264px
>>2855883

You kidding or what? Gestures are about capture the action of your subject before you delve into the blocking in an anatomy of it. Going straight to the meat of the subject without any basis will end up in stiff poses.

It's not about drawing spaghetti people, it's about capturing what the spaghetti people are doing in very few lines. Literally, post your work.
>>
>>2855883
What are actual studies? Like of figures? Like copying them and doing value or what
>>
>>2855916
As I said, Sketch.
You can do landscapes and texture studies without a 'gesture'. Same with sculptures of things in action,
>>
>>2855923

>You can do landscapes and texture studies without a 'gesture'

Yeah, you can also go straight into direct painting without doing block ins or shadow shapes. Doesn't mean that's gonna work for everybody.

What's your argument even? Gesture studies are fucking useful to learn action and pose, if you are tired of drawng spaghetti, go take a break but stop spouting your non-sense.
>>
>>2855923

And you can also paint with a brush up your ass. Doesn't mean it's a good practice.
>>
>>2855883
You're a retard. Gesture drawing is mostly done as warm-up before longer poses, it's not meant to replace proper figure studies you moron. Get out of your basement and take a life drawing class.
>>
>>2855923

A gesture IS a kind of sketch, dumbass. It's a quick sketch of a figure focusing on movement and line of action.
>>
File: 99667.jpg (708KB, 707x1000px) Image search: [Google]
99667.jpg
708KB, 707x1000px
OP is neither right nor wrong. He's right that nobody here can agree what gesture is because only few of you can do it competently. He's also also neither right nor wrong that it is a meme; it shouldn't be the first subject you look into for figure drawing and neither something you have to master, but an everyday thing. It being a meme or "butt of the joke" where experience artist can fall back and say something like:

"Just feel it, bro, let it all out and smoke some weed" is sort of true. I mean, one can get away saying this because you do got to feel it, but the less experienced doesn't know how to feel it. I think
feeling it" is misleading. There are 2 schools of gesture for 2 specific tasks and they are:

-one for figurative study
-another for "normally skecting"

Each being practical for its own, respective goal. One get's you to think and has a logical system set with its own natural limitations simply because it's designed that way because we don't normally draw said way. The other is how we naturally draw but loosely sketching; for this one all the beginner artist has to do is watch plenty of speedpaint video to see how one "naturally sketches" in a "gesture".
tl;dr
Simply put one is for the academic study and the other method is how we naturally draw, letting go of a trivial definition nobody patented and just drawing based on intuition and natural ability on artistic knowledge.
>>
File: wojak.jpg (68KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
wojak.jpg
68KB, 700x700px
>>2855869
>>2855883
>>2855923
s-shut up
>>
>>2855869
If you can't understand gesture drawing, you do not have The Spark.
>>
if you don't practice gesture you'll never be able to make interesting figures from imagination lol
>>
>>2855869
>>>2855883
>
>You kidding or what? Gestures are about capture the action of your subject before you delve into the blocking in an anatomy of it. Going straight to the meat of the subject without any basis will end up in stiff poses.
>
>It's not about drawing spaghetti people, it's about capturing what the spaghetti people are doing in very few lines. Literally, post your work.

Literally all of this. It's meant as a warm up not the only thing you should be doing, and it'll help you moving into longer poses or the final pose plus it's a great way to thumbnail before you do the actual drawing. It's not a meme, it's useful.
>>
i don't like the terms gesture or line of action. I want to keep things simple, all i ask myself is if the pose looks good or not and if its dynamic
>>
>>2855869
Gesture drawing is pretty abstract but I find that it really boils down to making a dynamic pose that is both visually interesting yet still is believable in a world (ie: has weight, volume, etc).
>>
>>2855873
This.

And with line of action make the line go through the center of the body, not where the spine would be or what would be a contour. It took me forever to get this and I only got it recently when setting up an armature for a sculpture and learning about rigging cg characters.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.