[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know I need to get the fundamentals, but do I really need a

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1473579192912.jpg (31KB, 495x791px) Image search: [Google]
1473579192912.jpg
31KB, 495x791px
I know I need to get the fundamentals, but do I really need a deep understanding of anatomy if I just wanna draw cartoons or webcomics for a living?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZOdOGu-Q60
>>
>>2855458
so the gist of it is that I need to focus on animation-oriented life drawing, right? is there a book or class or repository that I can get some understanding of that?
>>
>>2855470
Sorry for being so vague, but while the subject of the video was life drawing exclusively, I think the take-away is that you need to approach formal concepts like anatomy, figure drawing etc. with the understanding about what your medium of expression is and how it might differ from others like painting and illustration. If you want to be a good artist in general yes you're going to have to have a good understanding of anatomy and their proportions, but if you're more concerned with storytelling then you can be content with having shit fundamentals I guess. If that's the case go to >>>/lit/
>>
>>2855475
I've got the framework of a story I wanna tell and a good idea of what the characters will look like. Something between a standard Cal-Arts [spoiler]groan[/spoiler] style and a more natural, human structure is what I hope to achieve, although I'm maybe halfway to that level of drawing. I haven't decided between a comic or an animation, but I'm leaning towards the former since it's my first big project, and I've been sitting on it for about a year now.
>>
>>2855455

You don't need to be a bucketsquatting starving artist slaving away in mindless pursuit of ever stronger fundamentals, but yes, if you're lacking in at least a basic fundamental background then it's going to be embarrassingly apparent to your potential audience sooner or later.

As with anything, insanity lies at the extremes. My "serious" practice is mostly limited to five minute figures and the occasional perspective challenge, but just doing those things alone have improved the quality and appeal of my cartoony/non-representational art by miles.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.