[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Art With a Story

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: 1431196087352.jpg (96KB, 447x716px) Image search: [Google]
1431196087352.jpg
96KB, 447x716px
I am envious of Japanese mangakas because they are able to create art along with a coherent story and craft characters, being able to grow those characters and setting that the story takes place in over years.

Your average western freelance artist will be taking on random banal jobs, making some piece for a card game, another for a movie advertising campaign, etc. If you want something similar, you have to spread your ass cheeks and hope you get into the dreadful comic industry.

Fuck man, it sucks.
>>
>>2853993
Those mangaka were lucky. It's much more difficult nowadays to do long-running series.
>>
>>2853997

Sure, but even the mangakas that only create a few short stories I'm envious of.

It's much cooler work than desperately trying to find as many jobs as possible. Both hustle hard to pay the bills, but only one has a lot of creative freedom.
>>
>>2853993
It isn't as awesome as you may think. The pay is shit unless you're one of the top mangakas and they demand an insane amount of work. To the point where every single successful mangaka has had health issues from working too much, and if you ever take even a week off, everyone will get pissed off cause no new chapter. Your body will deteriorate the longer this goes on and 90% of mangaka just can't keep up the quality. The art starts getting lazier and lazier and the story turns to shit by the end, and if you start losing popularity, they'll can you as fast as possible. Look at what happened to Tite Kubo with bleach, one of the biggest mangas on the planet.

It's harder to find an audience in the west since comics lack the cultural appeal of mangos. And the majority of comics are capeshit. But there are some original graphic novels that get made and other series that smaller publishing companies support. I particularly like saga (tho I'm pretty behind) and Y the last man. The walking dead was pretty decent too and it's one of the few non cape comics that made it big. I wish comics were bigger in the west but it is what it is. I think it's probably best to do your own thing online and try to find a following online, like how Dave rapoza and dan warren are doing it with Steve lichman.
>>
File: Berserk-v27-p194-p195.png (833KB, 2522x1800px) Image search: [Google]
Berserk-v27-p194-p195.png
833KB, 2522x1800px
>>2854020
>I think it's probably best to do your own thing online and try to find a following online,
this. it can definitely still be done. art as a medium to tell stories was definitely my main drive getting into it too OP, where there's a will there's a way. just know writing good stories is a craft in and of itself that's just as hard to git gud at as art so I hope you've shit out the hundreds of bad stories it takes to get to the good stories in you, just like drawing.
>>
File: 1414172645805.jpg (51KB, 576x576px) Image search: [Google]
1414172645805.jpg
51KB, 576x576px
>Japan is so cool, I want to starve and work 18 hours a day drawing moeblobs
>>
>you have to spread your ass cheeks and hope you get into the dreadful comic industry.

You think the manga industry is better were you get paid shit rates and have horrible working hours?
>>
>>2854629

Yes, considering no comic artist alive is a millionaire, and there are at least a dozen manga artists who are. Furthermore, the subject matter available to you is so far superior in its variance that it isn't even funny.

Stop being dumb westaboos and try to look at it objectively. A lot of artists would kill to be able to land stable jobs even if they work 16 hours a day. You will never make it though, and neither will 99.99% of /ic/.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.