[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Character design

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

File: drunnaX.jpg (339KB, 673x1137px) Image search: [Google]
drunnaX.jpg
339KB, 673x1137px
Can anyone recommend some books or videos on actual design like clothes and pose etc. All I can find is how to draw shit but I would like more in depth on stuff like what specifics make a character look innocent or tough and stuff like that.

Pic unrelated
>>
I'll start with dragon's dogma artbook, it have a lot things to re do
>>
>>2852908
Stephen Silver had a kickstarter for a book on just that, it'll probably take a while before you can get your hands on it tho.

Character design is not that difficult to grasp, all you have to do is know your fundamentals and constantly ask yourself questions.

From the fundamentals it's mainly shape design (mind your positive and negative shapes) and shape language (soft vs sharp forms, wacky vs stable etc.) and the questions are mainly "how" and "why" - if they have a sword, they must have a scabbard; if they have a scabbard, they must have a sword (or a good explanation for its absence).
Also watch this vid to avoid a common starter pitfall.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DGSR7ZY_sU
>>
I would like to know too. I don't 'get' how to come up with appropriate character designs without just making deviantart-tier OCs
>>
>>2853232
Until the book comes out, his Schoolism(tm) classes should surface. Subscribe today and you to can become a wonderful schoolism student.

...no but seriously, the character design 1 and 2 self taught assignments are good. He teaches HOW to character design and even teaches you how to draw furries.

Otherwise, for free you can download Aaron Blaise Character Design videos on cgpeers.
>>
hey, I second the shape design bit -- I also highly rec exploring big/medium/smalls. like putting tiny eyes/nose with a small foreheard, then a huge jaw -- looks tougher than someone with a big forehead and tiny jaw etc.
>>
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Very nice information. One more humble request allthough certanly related. Lets say I need to create a character that represents something like darkness or life. I'm guessing some books of symbolism would be the answer but I'' most greatfully accept any suggestions.

Once again thanks for all tips!

Pic unrelated
>>
File: c0d13754e243125109ccbd67d620ffd2.jpg (143KB, 736x1099px) Image search: [Google]
c0d13754e243125109ccbd67d620ffd2.jpg
143KB, 736x1099px
Just to clarify the stuff I am looking for. Like for instance what represents "aggressive" or "pure and innocent" or maybe something like "rugged street brawler" I would like information on key charactericstics of those traits but also books on how to design clothes and gear etc

I suppose something that holds information on design choices you make for a character with a certain sets of attributes and roles to fill. So I the designphase I'm not just drawing blindly but with the knowdge of traits and charactericstics that make the character easily identilable as to what kind of person this is.

No idea if rhat made any sence.

Pic unrelated
>>
>>2853189
good taste
>>
http://www.wordassociation.org
Here you go
>>
>>2853633

It helps to know a bit about body language and how personality traits are reflected in it and vice versa. Read a book on body language and observe people all the time. How they walk and carry themselves. Think in terms of dominant/submissive, feminine/masculine, extroverted/introverted, intelligent/unintelligent, confident/uncofident, weak/strong, sexual/asexual etc. Think about contrasting attributes and picture a slider that you can drag between each of the extremes.

If you want a character to look powerful you'll want to study what good posture is and how athletes move. Do gesture studies from photos of martial artists, gymnasts, weight lifters and so on. Watch youtube clips. It's not that you need to know about the sports themselves so much as to get a feel for how the human body moves when it's in peak shape. You just get a feel for it eventually.
Find great artists that portrays the kind of characters, attitudes and emotions you want. Do studies of their work and try to understand what makes it work for you.
>>
https://creatureartteacher.com/product/character-design-course-aaron-blaise/

Can I get a second opinion on this? This is right up my alley, character design from an Animator's perspective. Just wanted to see if it was worth the $65, and I do want to spend it but if there are better resources point me in the right direction.
>>
>>2853970
Judging based on the cover, it's good. Get it.
>>
File: AlbinoWitch_600px.jpg (131KB, 600x757px) Image search: [Google]
AlbinoWitch_600px.jpg
131KB, 600x757px
Thank you very much everyone for all the replies. I have a much better understanding on what to research now.
>>
>>2853616
Hm, I would try looking at some mythological subjects, and their various depictions over the years.

On the few occasions I do character design, I usually start by mashing elements from various things Ive seen before, then maybe adding my own spin on things once I've had time to ruminate on it a bit. Its an organic process, unless you want generic background characters.

On another note, is that just regular clay in that image? Or something different. Its got a waxy sheen, which makes me think its not clay, but its way glossier than sculpey.
>>
>>2854405
It's not my work. I just find it inspiring so I thought I should share it. I'm 99% sure that it is wax though based on the sheen and how it looks almost dripped on when applied at the feet of the mount
>>
>>2852908
muh dick
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.