[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how the fuck do you paint textures?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

File: WTFSNAP.png (168KB, 491x320px) Image search: [Google]
WTFSNAP.png
168KB, 491x320px
how the fuck do you paint textures?
>>
Observe reference, apply it to piece taking in consideration of the size and form of the applied piece.
>>
File: 1392107134038.jpg (237KB, 1000x751px) Image search: [Google]
1392107134038.jpg
237KB, 1000x751px
>>2850204
For your level of skill at the moment that texture and shape with texture is too advanced. You'll be too overwhelmed and what's required to make it look good and you won't learn anything

Texture is a combination of small shapes over a surface and how light reacts to that surface

Do some still life drawings of things that show texture like a towel, a knitted jumper, the hair on your legs, an old rotten bit of wood.

From life being a thing that's important. Being able to pick up and feel the texture gives you a lot more information about it than a photo on the internet.

This is an old painting by Tehmeh I think, notice how you're able to tell what a lot of the objects are made of such as the table cloth is obviously cloth and not metal or plastic, the food looks wet, the xbox controller looks matte and not smooth and shiny. This is because he has paid attention to how textures look and it is great skill to have
I hope this helps you
>>
File: LIps.png (169KB, 498x474px) Image search: [Google]
LIps.png
169KB, 498x474px
>>2850274
It seems like anything beyond simple matte images feels beyond me, pic related, my stuff.
>>
File: 1440440210746.png (172KB, 463x494px) Image search: [Google]
1440440210746.png
172KB, 463x494px
>>2850204
>He fell for the Hard Round brush meme

Texture is a beast that most artists never talk about. The Hard Round brush will definitively not help.

http://chrisoatley.com/hudson-river-painters/
>>
>>2850302
>implying I don't zoom in 3000% to push pixels and create textures with my Hard Round Brush at 100% opacity and flow
>>
>>2850274
I'm not really seeing how it' laying on a tablecloth. It could just as well be laying on a cement floor.
>>
>>2850308
not that guy, but it doesn't look like a cement floor. A lot of texture is how light gradients across a surface, not just in autistic little details. That's why you can squint and a carpet still looks like a carpet. You subconsciously are somewhat aware of how light reacts to the surfaces of certain objects, even if you can't picture it in your head.
>>
File: spider-001_5280.png (83KB, 259x246px) Image search: [Google]
spider-001_5280.png
83KB, 259x246px
>>2850302

>He wasn't a man limited by his tools, but his knowledge

At last, I truly see.
>>
>>2850204
Spend More time... you are getting there
make the brush size smaller

yes keep the Hard round brush for practice.
>>
>>2850204
>tfw so broke i have to paint with a mouse instead of a tablet and pen
>>
Texture is all about how the light interacts with the material. Don't just study textures in a void, study how they look with more or less light on them, how texture becomes less obvious in shadow and more defined with directed light.
>>
>>2853483
Explain with an example
>>
>>2853489
>>2853483
https://www.khanacademy.org/partner-content/pixar/pattern/dino/v/creating-patterns-pixar-in-a-box

i remember this video being about how patterns and texture areobserved in real life, and things about randomization and color. you may find it interesting
>>
File: 3126306-o97g1_s-200x150.gif (436KB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
3126306-o97g1_s-200x150.gif
436KB, 200x150px
>>2850204

nice.
>>
>>2856089
sick video
>>
>>2850592
This and also notice how the shadows dont hit the tablecloth as 'hard' as they would a wood or cement surface, the texture of the fabric changes and plays with the shadows to soften them up in areas and darken in others.
Its not quite photorealism, but it definitely gets across the message of texture well.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.