[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this near professional yet?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 9

File: 4chan.png (162KB, 480x791px) Image search: [Google]
4chan.png
162KB, 480x791px
I just finished this drawing. It's not well shaded, but the line work is decent I think.

I'm wondering what you guys think. I'm trying really hard to reach professional levels,

So on a scale of Newbie to Amateur to Professional looking, what would you say?

(Let's say Newb is 0-4, Advanced but not pro is 5-7, and Pro is 8-10.)

And if you're an artist, can you tell me what I did wrong or how I could make this look better?

(It would be great if regular people/non artists answer too because an artist can tear anything apart, but the 'first reaction' of a non-artist is in some ways more valuable to gauge where you're really at.)
>>
>>2848883
>>
Definitely really good. What kind of work do you want to do in the future? (Animation, just drawing whatever, etc.?)
>>
File: unbearable_squirrel_girl.jpg (143KB, 474x514px) Image search: [Google]
unbearable_squirrel_girl.jpg
143KB, 474x514px
>>2848883
Professional is a buzzword. Pic related is "professional" if by that you mean published and paid for.
>>
File: Alundra.jpg (338KB, 628x900px) Image search: [Google]
Alundra.jpg
338KB, 628x900px
>>2848883
No, it's about a 5, but your main problem right now is the theme, "Professional" as a level so to say changes depending on what you do (Illustration, concept art, mango, etc.) Your drawing doesn't really showcase anything beyond somewhat good basics so it's no good to gauge your skill. Pic related is professional, look at it, then look at yours, and back again
>>
>>2848893

By professional I think most people know what I mean. Like would the quality qualify to be in an anime, or a manga.

As for a complete illustration, this is not, it's just a sketch to showcase skill level - ability to draw a figure, to color, to ink, etc.

The painting you give me as an example is indeed a complete illustration whereas mine is only a sketch, with no composition, it's not a full picture. So you make a fair point, I could have uploaded a finished work but I was just wondering about my drawing skill based on my last drawing.

So is it a 5/10 because you're comparing it to a full illustration? Or do you mean the drawing skill level is only 5/10?

I'm okay with either answer, but if it's the drawing quality/skill then please let me know what I could do to improve the drawing level in that picture.
>>
>>2848883
I really don't think it's near professional work. I'd need to see more before I make such a judgement.

That ear isn't winning you any points, nor is that hand.
>>
>>2848893
Woah, that's fucking ugly.
>>
>>2848891

I would like to do any kind of character drawing, so I'm open to animation, manga/comics, and illustration. Thanks for asking ^^

I think I'm leaning towards trying to make my own comic right now, but who knows about the future.

I'd like to reach professional levels at drawing before I start though. That way I have a better chance at success, I think.
>>
>>2848920
It's a 5 because it showcases close to nothing, and i'm being generous, there is a lot that could have gone horribly but didn't just because the drawing doesn't show much of anything.

Again, professional is a really flexible term like >>2848892 said.
>>
File: 1485015508193.jpg (135KB, 1268x884px) Image search: [Google]
1485015508193.jpg
135KB, 1268x884px
>>2848891
>Really just want to become an animator
>Have to master drawing prior to this or else I'll just be another internet cartoonist
>Both disciplines are motherfuckers to get right and properly
>>
>>2848923

Those are great point, I noticed them too. hand is too small, and the ear lob looks off and funny.

I should have took the time to fix them. Thanks.

>>2848929

The hand is too small, I agree. The perspective though, I'm not sure. I did use perspective guides and vanishing points, can you be more specific where it looks wrong? That would really help me, thanks.

Also, I don't upload to dA.
>>
>>2848883
If you're looking to do manga you're probably a 5, maybe a little less. That doesn't really matter though since manga is a lot about the story. Also I say 5 because you hide a lot of stuff in your picture (ex.) hands, legs, feet. You might want to work on anatomy some more, then copy some good manga artists. I know they do a lot of hatching which is a good thing to learn.

Coloring takes a long time to do which is why many manga is in black in white. If you took color out of your image is would look very boring and bland. Again copy manga artists, I'm not an expert in the field but they know their shit.
>>
>>2848932
"It's a 5 because it showcases close to nothing."

So I'll take that as a yes, that you're comparing it to a completed piece of work, so that's why the 5. Thanks for your input.

Drawing skill wise it showcases some things: Perspective, construction, forms, design, style, line weight, a bit of shading, anatomy, a bit of coloring, silhouette etc.

I'm not saying these things are done 'well' just saying they are present, and if it's only a 5/10 based on these things, then I have a lot of work to do and to learn from. And that's really what I'd like to know, not really how well it stands up to a finished illustration.

Sorry if my question was unclear in the OP.
>>
>>2848934
>implying it's not like that for everything
>>
>>2848883
really stiff
>>
>>2848953
That's a good critique, I agree.
>>
>>2848948

K, so every time I get a 5, I'm hearing it's because the drawing is incomplete. If this wasn't meant to be a finished drawing, from what you do see how, how I did the face, the body etc. would it still just be a 5? Did I draw the face poorly, or the things that are actually there?

If so, how can I improve it, what is wrong?

It actually looked better without the coloring because I'm decent at linework.
>>
File: aqe6l9pz.jpg (44KB, 480x791px) Image search: [Google]
aqe6l9pz.jpg
44KB, 480x791px
>>2848883
off the top of my head

- she should be looking down, but she's looking straight ahead instead
- 90° angles at the elbows, big nono
- too many straight lines in general
- bad construction for the pelvis and thighs
- foreshortening of the hand is bad / weird
- weak shadows, weak light source
- not a full figure
- lazy drapery
>>
>>2848883
If you can't tell, then you're not a pro..
Simple!
>>
>>2848951
Yeah, but not everything is piano tier to do decently.
>>
>>2848973

Great critique, thank you very much! That's very helpful.
>>
>>2848974

Well that's why I asked. XD I didn't assume I was pro, I was wondering if I was getting close.

Especially in the eyes of people who weren't artists, to be honest. I posted this elsewhere but they said post it here.

Because I know fellow artists can point out wrong things, some of which I already know, but if it looks 'professional' to the average person who isn't an artist, then that's what really counts.

I can find mistakes in professional work too, like in a manga I enjoy or something, but what really counts is what the readers feel about your art.

That being said I got some excellent critiques here, some of which I already knew and should have fixed, but some others that are new, but both offer some really good advice.
>>
>>2848978
You're not in a bad place Anon. I'll add this in general:

It's okay to practice still figures for the sake of anatomy or rendering, but with a small stylized sketch like this, you should have thought about the action itself some more.

I understand it's not a complete drawing, alright, but the fact that you decided to showcase this specific work is indicative of something, right?

Say, why draw her looking at a number on her wristwatch? For all I'm concerned it could be just the time. There's nothing cool or exciting about that. Imagine this being a Bulma drawing (since the style is similar to Toriyama), you'd have drawn her looking at the dragon radar for the next dragon ball! Even if someone doesn't know about the radar's purpose, it's still a radar with a blinking dot on it. That's a story! What's that dot? Is it treasure? And so on.

You'd have drawn her taking an excited pose, leaning over the display, eyes wide, smiling in anticipation and so on. The actual gesture of the drawing and what you're representing is worth a ton more than anything else, and without that gestural foundation you're undermining all the further work you put in rendering and detailing.

So remember to take things step by step. You start with a gesture, make a good drawing on top of it, and everything else is going to come a lot easier. Good luck
>>
File: L2drawfaggot.png (175KB, 694x585px) Image search: [Google]
L2drawfaggot.png
175KB, 694x585px
>>2848950
>>
>>2848985
Again, excellent advice. Thank you very much. You've been a great critiquer and I can really use what you've said.

You're right, even that I showed this drawing instead of a complete one is indicative of something.

The advice about gesture and making the drawing actually interesting in content, having a point (or story) is right on. I knew these things and didn't think about them or implement them, and that's definitely something I can improve on.
>>
>>2848986
Point taken. lol
>>
File: 4chan2.png (222KB, 684x581px) Image search: [Google]
4chan2.png
222KB, 684x581px
Ok, so since I think having an incomplete sketch might be making harder for some people to gauge whether or not I'm nearing professional level, I've decided to post another picture here.

This is a a complete panel and in color, rather than a sketch.

(Still acknowledging all the critiques of the first picture as good and helpful, just wanted to put this here for the people who are giving me a 5 for the drawing being incomplete, and not composed.
>>
>>2848883
Nope. Your perspective and thus depth is very poor. Your gesture is beginner tier level too. Not even close to being pro level.
>>
>>2849018
Yeah, no, you definitely aren't nowhere near being marketable. Sorry buddy.
>>
>>2849055
I totally get the gesture thing, and I agree, thank you for the critique. Others pointed it out too.

But the perspective I'm having trouble seeing where it's off. I did use perspective guides and vanishing points, so if something is wrong it must be something very specific, can you please help me find the mistake?
>>
>>2848883
you're def not pro but your work isn't terrible either. i find the colors appealing. work hard on perspective and gesture and you'll be fine.
>>
>>2849060

Thanks! That's okay I appreciate the honesty.

>>2849069

I agree with the gesture but everyone is pointing out the perspective, and I'm wondering what part of it is wrong so that I know where to look and what to fix.

I did use perspective guides and vanishing points, which part is throwing everyone off?
>>
>>2849072
her arm isn't long enough. nothing major but little things like that can be distracting.
>>
>>2848883
Who were your influences? You don't seem like a young guy.
>>
>>2849073
Ah, I figured it was the arm/hand, thank you I really appreciate that. So partly proprotion, partly that too-small hand perspective. Thanks!
>>
>>2849074

Not all my influences show in this style, but for this pic, it's heavily influenced by Gunsmith Cats, and probably some Toriyama, and I think there is always an element of Disney to my drawings. Thanks for asking.
>>
It's already bad form to open a new thread instead of going in the drawthread, opening multiple threads makes people regret they gave you advice in the first place.
>>
>>2849113
Sorry I wasn't aware of the draw thread. Thanks for letting me know it was bad form.
>>
>>2849113
Are you someone here who'd given me advice?
>>
>>2848983
I was trying to be a dick. So, fuck you!

You're not shit though, I would suggest as others did, study more anatomy, perspective and study more Manga artists; if that's what you want to do with art.
>>
>>2849018
This is very bare, and that would be OK if the composition was complete. It feels as though you don't really know what you want to say and that is why it lacks "atmosphere".
>>
>>2848883

I totally see what you're doing here. It's not the perspective that's wrong, it's the proportions.

The far hand is too small, making the perspective look off/wrong in that spot. But the actual perspective is fine. But it's actually the proportions.

The comment about the right angled elbow and arm length is also good advice.

Your ability to draw, I would say, is professional or very close. Your ability to color and shade, is not.

Artists who cut off hands and stuff don't normally include one, or draw the upper body and head so well, so I'm guessing you weren't intentionally hiding anything, just being lazy, you should post completed work.

The hips are off/wrong anatomically, but not in a way that actually matters. Tons of anime/cartoons/comics/manga are off in their anatomy and it wouldn't even be noticed or cared about if this was a finished piece.

The drawing is stiff, and could use some more direction in space. The advice about gesture was good/right.

I would practice your shading and colors if you intend to use them, user higher contrast there. I would use a gesture to plan the drawing.

Also the comment about the 'story' is also good. Her eyes SHOULD be at least looking at the watch.

The lack of composition due to just being a cut off sketch, is turning a lot of people off, but your ability to draw is not lacking.

The comment about lazy drapery is also right. Perhaps put a bit more time into your details to be consistent.

So I would say, this drawing is a 7, and if you finished it, it would probably be an 8, at the bottom of the professional pile. With a good gesture as a foundation it would push it to an 8.5 maybe.

So final answer: Are you nearing professional? At drawing, yah, you're either nearing professional, or are already at professional levels, can't tell because you were lazy.

Solution: Don't be lazy, finish your work, and put more time into the gesture/situation of your drawing.
>>
>>2848883

No one in this thread hasn't a clue about what a professional-level artist looks like.
>>
>>2849434
Why do you say that? At least a few people gave me really accurate critiques.

Is there any comment in particular you disagreed with?
>>
>>2849434
Yes anon, I'm sure you are literally the only person on this board who has ever seen the work of a professional artist before and thus knows what professional work looks like, you stupid, contrarian fuck.
>>
>>2849434
If you don't know, then how do you know they don't know?
>>
>>2848959
well, for good reason employers ask for a portfolio rather than just one drawing
throw in a bit of everything
>>
>>2849814
That's a a fair point. I just threw on my latest sketch on a whim to see if people thought I was nearing professional levels, and didn't really think about it as much as I should have.

Honestly I didn't expect much and was hoping to get mostly regular folks, not artists, to see what they thought, cause the first impression of the general population is more accurate in a lot of ways for whether or not you look like you're nearing professional, I think.

I initially put the post up in a different forum only to get hate replies telling me to go to the critique forum, so instead I ended up here getting critiques, but some are good critiques so it was worth it in that respect.
>>
As someone who kind of tended to mimic artists with professional-like efforts, I'd say it's pretty darn close, but you still have much to learn, I think.

I'm no professional, heck, I can't exactly consider myself a artist, I simply just draw what I like and don't even draw that well, but sometimes, we are led to believe what looks or doesn't look professional, when truthfully, real professionals might actually be "looser" on their drawings than we might think and might not know how to draw "everything", but rather, are quite specialized on what they draw.

That and >>2848892
>>
File: CopyPrac17.1.17.png (99KB, 478x638px) Image search: [Google]
CopyPrac17.1.17.png
99KB, 478x638px
>>2850062

Thanks for your comment, I really appreciate it. It's all about decisions I think, the people who suggested making a gesture first were probably right, that's probably the missing ingredient here.

I could have spent a lot more time making sure my anatomy or clothes looked better, or right, or spent a bit more time thinking about my line weights, and that might have helped etc.

But it comes down to, I think, a) I don't color or shade well, more contrast would have been smarter there. b) The hand and possibly forearm are too small or out of proportion, throwing off the perspective and finally c) the drawing is too stiff, and her eyes don't connect to the watch.

So those are all decisions I should have had in mind and been able to make while drawing. Which means to me, I probably am close. I hope anyways.

I feel I probably have enough knowledge of anatomy etc. to be able to do those things, I just didn't take the time, and should have. I also know about gesture, so not using a good pose, was a blindspot and it's good people pointed it out.

As for execution/construction of a drawing, I know I can do that at professional levels because I copy drawings for practice using construction all the time.

So the problem is definitely not making the right decisions during the drawing process/not reminding myself of what's important, or not being aware of what's important at times.

Here for example is a copy-practice of a Gunsmith Cats character - copied using construction. It's not 100% spot on, but it's close enough that it looks right.
>>
>>2849069
I agree with this anon, I would consider this around like a 6 or 7. Like it's not anything noteworthy but it does show potential to what you could eventually grow into.

Also can I just say, this has been such a genuinely nice thread. Shows what /ic/ can be like when they aren't shitting out memes
>>
>>2848883
It looks professional to me.
>>
>>2850203
>>2850217

Thanks for your replies and input.

Yah, I never use 4chan I just decided to ask here on a whim. I guess you get legitimate answers if you word things a certain way? I'm not sure, maybe it was just luck. I don't know!
>>
>>2848893

Fuck I hate over-designed armour

WoW is a bane on character design
>>
>>2850024

Why would "regular folks" browse a board about making art?
>>
>>2848883
It's not that good, and even if it was good. Ff this took more than 8 minutes, try harder. Putting out quality work quickly is what's important.

my recommendation is more fundies.
>>
>>2851648
Post your work
>>
File: wip.png (4KB, 226x264px) Image search: [Google]
wip.png
4KB, 226x264px
>>2851650
>>
>>2848883

There's people with worse work than yours and they get a lot of gigs for doing so. If you want to be professional, contact and listen to professionals instead of this place.

I know that it's embarassing to use Facebook or email, but you're bound to get good answers from folks that you know worked in the field. If they don't respond, contact them when they're streaming.
>>
>>2851648
it's worthless advice like this that lets me know I'm in /ic/

>>2849018
>>2848883

Gesture, anatomy, and shading. work on those three ASAP. don't worry about where you are from 1-10, that really doesn't matter. just go work on the next stage. I like your linework, though. better than most of /ic/

saging cause you got enough advice already.
>>
>>2851594
The answer is in the last paragraph of the post you're responding too.
>>
>>2851687
Thanks, that's good advice I really appreciate it.
>>
>>2851729
Saging or not, I appreciate it nonetheless. Thanks.
>>
Likely has been said already, but professionals simply make money. There are artists better and worse than you who are professional because they already have established their craft as a business model.
>>
draw more of this shit or gimme a link to your blog.

it is very hard to decide on one drawing alone
>>
>>2851594
A lot of other boards members lurk ic but are too new, uncertain or whatever, to start posting work of their own or posting at all. Or they get directed here from draw threads etc on their own boards as a place to go get better.
/i/ is a much more welcoming board to first timers though.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.