[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

brushwork thread

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

alright icicles, brushwork thread.

i tried pic related and am wondering if i'm just incompetent. i find them uncontrollable. you find tons of brushes like these that make sweet juicy strokes, but you can't use them for anything, except juicy strokes. no blending, let alone rendering, is possible. how do these guys paint with these monsters?
>>
>>2848336
You can try painting with a less chaotic brush, and then once you have a shape how you want it go back over top with the artsy fartsy brushes. It's easier if you have a shape isolated, like on a separate layer with transparency lock turned on. Then you can go nuts on it with textured brushes.
>>
File: sung-choi-dockweiler-1920[1].jpg (452KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
sung-choi-dockweiler-1920[1].jpg
452KB, 1920x1080px
also, can anyone explain to me how to get brushwoork like pic related? sung choi, apparently works at bungie. sp smooth and soft yet at the same time so defined. how?
>>
File: coffee.jpg (127KB, 929x540px) Image search: [Google]
coffee.jpg
127KB, 929x540px
>>2848336

i call it the /icup
>>
>>2848339
so isolate shapes first? ie do drawing then lock in shapes, then color, then brushwork?

>>2848365
pls go
>>
>>2848340
hngg this pic is so nice. I love this brushwork
>>
>>2848340
does anyone have this guy's brushes?
>>
>>2848340
Just experiment with the smudge tool and you'll easily get this effect.

Skill is a major factor too ofcourse.
>>
>>2848336

Draw a lot more with just lines. 97% of all art problems are really just drawing problems, to paraphrase Richard Schmid.
>>
>>2849595
Explain further
>>
>>2848336
All the time with, I need new brushes. Shit anon, it's not like a real paintbrush. You CAN make your own brushes for PS it's alot easier than making a physical paintbrush .
>>
>>2848336
Whats the point of using brushes that look like that? When doing illustration/concept for a client you wont be using them anyway since the product cant look like that, so the point is just to fuck around and pretend youre painting with a physical brush on a canvas? Why not just spend that time practicing the real stuff?
>>
>>2848336
>>2848340
It's all just skill, brushes won't make you any better, in fact they will make your stuff worse because you should focus on form and edges etc. before tackling texture. Git gud with round brush, then start with these and you'll find them very helpful
>>
>>2848336
>blending
Have you ever painted traditionally (from life)? Have you studied colour theory? Your pic alone demonstrates zero/VERY minimal blending. The rendering comes from the strokes, but also from the colour choice. Also layering. Lots of it.

>>2848340
>Smooth and soft at the same time so defined
Again. Mostly colour choice. Can't tell you how he achieves such softness in the clouds/ocean/sky. Could be a custom brush, could be smart use of the smudge tool. Maybe even using the gradient tool as a base and layering over that.
>>
>>2848340
Hard to say for sure, but it looks like a lot of it was done with the mixer brush tool.
>>
>>2848336

That's brush economy for you. Painting with dry brushes (i.e. brushes that are opaque and doesn't build up the strokes gradually with opacity) requires planning, experience and confidence. I would recommend you watch John J. Park's process videos who has a similar style.

>>2848340
He's employed by Shaddy and has been trained by him. Look up Shaddy's landscape tutorial on youtube, it covers the basic process in a lot of detail
>>
>>2849683

>you cant use painterly brushes for illustration

Try to be less of a retard, anon.
>>
>>2849683

>who is craig mullins
>>
>>2849712
This. People here often misuse the word blending. I've been asked endless times how to "blend" stuff and when I say that I don't blend at all they're just confused.
>>
>>2848365
kek, is this the new merc.wip?
>>
File: Quality eyeroll.jpg (61KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
Quality eyeroll.jpg
61KB, 499x499px
>>2849685
>The "round brush" meme
>>
File: 1485833604221.jpg (20KB, 500x221px) Image search: [Google]
1485833604221.jpg
20KB, 500x221px
>>2850255

>He's limited by his tools and not his knowledge
>>
dont want to make a thread just for this question
is krita shit?
>>
>>2851083
A tool can not be shit, only the wielder.
>>
>>2851087
so its not objective
could it be better than photoshop in a significant number of peoples opinion?
>>
>>2851091
No, photoshop will be better a majority of the time. There's nothing that can beat it. It's been around forever for a reason.
>>
>>2851092
is it because krita lacks tools? or the quality of those tools is lacking? or something else
>>
>>2851094
It has tools, a lot of the features are more buggy than photoshop though, and Photoshop has a very active community that makes god-tier plug-ins and scripts.
>>
>>2851142
thanks for the answers
>>
>>2851142
>>2851166
No problem. the people that really shill CRY-ta are folk that don't really know how to use mixer, smudge, and tool presets properly.

When I ask only about the tool presets, they fumble. I don't want to click things in the menu every god damn time I want a different setting.
>>
>>2851173
oh btw a tool can clearly be shit. have you tried giving a colonoscopy with a feather? its a poor analogy you made.
>>
>>2851186
I think you're replying to the wrong person there, buddy boy. I think Krita is shit compared to photoshop.

>>2851142
>>2851173
I only made these two posts and no where did I say tools didn't matter.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.