[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can you earn good money on making webcomics? Do you know any

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: 910d8134f9c5735.jpg (120KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
910d8134f9c5735.jpg
120KB, 640x360px
Can you earn good money on making webcomics? Do you know any successful webcomics?
>>
>>2848291
Like anything it's up to the individual. It's more about updating consistently and building a following, do you have the discipline to do that?
>>
>>2848293
I have been thinking about doing that but I dont know if its worth it. Sure it could be fun but at the same time I need to get at least some money from it. Would love to see webcomics that earn dosh for creators.
>>
>>2848301
I mean, you can check patreon, but I can guarantee that most projects:

>Have several years worth up updates
>Active on social media/network at cons
>Generally pleasant

I don't think you can expect a profit right away, and comics are definitely not a get rich quick scheme, so do it if you think you'll enjoy it. Know that you won't make living wage solely on your webcomic now or ever.

At the same time, having a project like that under your belt can open new doors for you or opportunities you wouldn't have had otherwise. It's all in how you want to invest your time.

If you want short term gain, webcomics are probably a dead end, if you take the long game, it's probably worth more to you.

Also consider what's most creatively satisfying.
>>
>>2848308
Thanks, could elabore more on
>If you want short term gain, webcomics are probably a dead end, if you take the long game, it's probably worth more to you.

What do you consider good for a short term project?
>>
>>2848313
could you elaborate*
>>
>>2848301
Don't do webcomics if money is what you're after. Do it only if you have a story you need to get out of your head, if you're inspired and if you have a passion for storytelling.
David Revoy's Pepper & Carrot is a pretty good example of a solid, successful webcomic. He also gives away close to 100% of his know-how.
Jake Wyatt's Necropolis is also pretty good.
>>
>>2848313
In the short term, the money/time you put in will get less in return. Webcomics are so saturated and niche that it will take a long time to find an audience. Especially factoring in the time it takes to actually make comics. If you looking to make fast money, which you seem to imply, then web comics is in fact a dead end.

A good short term project would probably be like freelance or some sort of commission. Guaranteed money or fixed rate over time.

But as someone who wants to launch their own comic this year, money isn't really my goal.

>>2848323
what he said. It also illustrates my point really nicely. Pepper and Carrot has been building for years, they also give value back to the community, that's where the long money is. Necropolis, which is an equally good webcomic imo, hasn't updated since last November. Even if it's head an shoulders above most webcomics as far as drawing and storytelling, if you can't keep a schedule it's ultimately forgettable.
>>
>>2848343
>Necropolis, which is an equally good webcomic imo, hasn't updated since last November.

Poor Jake got hit hard by the Trump victory. Haven't seen anything but super rough sketches from him since November and in his last post, he's rambling about being part of some resistance and bothering his senator Ted Cruz every day on the phone.
>>
>>2848418
didn't know that, nothing wrong with activism though.

>inb4
>>
File: 1514.png (274KB, 812x458px) Image search: [Google]
1514.png
274KB, 812x458px
>>2848291
Ava's Demon
Parallax

just off the top of my head. ava's demon has been around longer, but parallax is getting more and more popular since it started last year
>>
>>2848291
Questionable Content makes $120k a year
>>
File: 1455340398756.jpg (54KB, 1110x720px) Image search: [Google]
1455340398756.jpg
54KB, 1110x720px
>>2848291
you can make a living off it sure, most don't but your comics good enough (or has been running long enough) then you might be able to hack it. But don't expect to be living like a big baller unless you're ancient garbage like Questionable Content.

The following's based solely on their patreons,
>Gunnerkrigg Court: $5,475; launch date: April 4, 2005
>Unsounded: $2,126; launch date: July 14, 2010
>Lackadaisy : $5,324; launch date: July 19, 2006
>Ava's Demon: $1,927 (this is coming off a like, year long hiatus over a poorly planned kickstarter); launch date: May 2012
>The Property of Hate: $1,093; launch date: March 24, 2012
>KC Green: $1,081; launch date: September 4, 2008
>Dinosaur Comics: $1,710; launch date: Feburary 1, 2003
>Paranatural: $1,632; launch date: May 1, 2011
>Questionable Content: $10,000~; launch date: August 1, 2003
>Dumbing of Age: $5,090; launch date: September 10, 2010
>Ctrl+Alt+Del: $3,639; launch date: October 23, 2002

these are some of the more fruitful ones I could find, but keep in mind this doesn't take into account ad revenue or merchandising, which probably makes the most bucks for a lot of the older comics like KC Greene's stuff and uh, Megatokyo (also homestuck). But of course you shouldn't try to make a webcomic if you're attempting to make mad dosh, the most people get to is "livable," and those are just the standout ones, you should make one because you want to make one.
>>
>>2849476
>Kill Six Billion Demons: $2,910; launch date: April 29, 2013
forgot to put this last one in there, but I wanna' shill it cus I like it
>>
>>2848418
top kek

>>2849038
I don't know about you, but I'd rather kill myself than make a living pandering to people I despise.
>>
>>2849594
Considering I already wake up wanting to kill myself, I'll take the money.
>>
>>2848291
That faggot from a thread who shits out his turds daily despite everyone's hate towards him
>>
>>2849616
Good move! Do it.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.