[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Drawing 16 hours a day

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: michelangelo.jpg (45KB, 414x597px) Image search: [Google]
michelangelo.jpg
45KB, 414x597px
Why do you /ic/ turds think you need to draw 16 hours a day otherwise you'll "never make it" and "lazy"

Drawing 16 hours a day if anything will lead to mindless practice, carpal tunnel, and burn outs especially when you're a beginner starting out.

It's one thing for pros to go 12 hours a day(and even then it's probably unhealthy) but because they've been drawing for a long period of time, they've been able to adjust their bodies to it. It's like working out, you can't expect some obese 400 pound fuck to suddenly start training 16 hours a day and not expect any detrimental side effects.

Here is an article that discusses my point in more depth: http://www.bulletproofmusician.com/how-many-hours-a-day-should-you-practice/
>>
16 hours allows you to complete a whole lot more of a drawing than any other amount of time. Most paintings would take you up to 20 hours, but at least with 16, you'll be 80% done. If you had to do a piece that took 5 hours, now you've got 12 hours to do other stuff. It's a very flexible amount of hours to work with. Working with 1 or 2 barely lets you experiment. 16 gives you near absolute freedom.
>>
Reminder that 4 hours of figure drawing complemented with 4 hours of specialized study is more than enough once you've learned the ropes.
Also make sure you get up and walk around every 30-60mins. Set a timer and keep to it.
Spend one hour exercising each day.
Be sure to go outside at least once each day.
Drink lots of water and do your hand/arm, leg, and neck stretches.

You could do 4 and 6 too depending on what you want to achieve/learn.

Getting good shouldn't cost your health. A healthy body promotes healthy thinking. Healthy thinking leads to creative problem solving. Problem solving leads to finishing goals.

Stay motivated my bros.
>>
>>2846376
We aren't fucking robots. Drawing more hours isn't going to guarantee more productivity. When you draw 16 hours a day what's likely going to happen is that your first few hours will be productive while the other part will be unproductive, in other words you won't be learning shit.

Worst case scenario, is that consistently drawing 16 hours a day will lead to 100
% productivity because you're so fucking burned out.

I'm sick of all this bs information that's spewed on /ic/. Moreover art isn't life, art is the EXPRESSION of life. If you don't have a life and all you fucking do is draw, what the fuck do you plan on expressing?
>>
>>2846366

Maybe you should, maybe you shouldn't. But you should want to.
>>
You have to make your brain get accoustumed the new learning mindset, and for that you have to push yourself without excuses.

Anyway:

>16 hours

I could only do 16 hours or more of anything when I was a video game addict kid, nowadays I get severe headaches. Put that to 10 hours and we have a deal.

Remember:

>you don't want to be an okay artist
>you want to be fucking good
>the very best you can
>you want to transcribe your imagination with no flaws

AND you want to stay above the sea of mediocre shitters if you ever hope to get any money. You're gonna have to hone yourself, friend. Fire and ice, you're a sword now.
>>
>>2846378
>Getting good shouldn't cost your health

I have never met nor seen a single outstanding working professional who hasn't had to make this compromise at some point in their career.
>>
>>2846381
>If you don't have a life and all you fucking do is draw, what the fuck do you plan on expressing?
You know, whatever kind of dragon or cool merc the boss tells me to.
>>
>>2846390
>Wanting to get bad carpal tunnel before 30.
Surgery will never fix it.
>Sitting on your ass all day.
Enjoy getting back and leg problems
>That shit posture at your desk
Enjoy having spine issues and postural problems

I totally get that sometimes you gotta push through the pain. Especially for deadlines. But in my eyes, I'd rather be healthy while my art continues to grow and flourish at a steady rate.

If you're smart, you'll study so efficiently that your skill will exponentially rise.
>>
>>2846406
>he thinks this is possible
Fucking delusional
Just ideals
This is reality mother fucker
>>
>>2846408
Aaight go ahead
Spend 10 hours a day straight grinding out drawings and paintings. For two years.
Yeah you'll get good. But your body will have truly suffered.

Realize once you get professional-tier, it doesn't stop. So extend that for 15 more years of straight killing your hands and body.
So if you started at 23, by the time you're 40 you'll be suffering all sorts of shit. Not only that but you'll need more sleep, you'll need to actually be aware of your health. Sometimes it's too late at times.

In comparison to staying healthy for 4 years to get good. And now you can spend 20 even 30 years if you keep it up.
If i even started at 25, reached pro at 29, and worked until i was 60. That's a much better life and career.
You'll be able to travel, and actually live life. You won't have skeletal issues, nerve damage, vein damage, muscle tearing, etc. Or at least nowhere near as severe.

A slow burn that leaves a legacy is much better than a quick, extravagant burn that is forgotten due to trends.
>>
>>2846406
>If you're smart, you'll study so efficiently that your skill will exponentially rise.

You would think so, but the appropriate muscle memory takes a very long time to develop and logic seems to springboard off of that.

You can do it in other ways I am sure, and I don't think anyone is advocating that one should study like that all the time, but you should definitely have the personal investment and wherewithal to do so.
>>
>>2846418
I'm by no means an advocate of doing this ridiculous 16 hour grinding bullshit, but you do realize that there are millions of people in this world who sit in front of a computer at some office for at least 8 hours a day, every day, right? 10 hours a day drawing has no serious health risk at all if you offset it with some form of exercise, take frequent breaks, do stretching to prevent carpal tunnel and tendonitis etc.

The people who do get all sorts of fucked up back problems and shit like that are usually the ones who do blue collar physical labor.
>>
>>2846455
That's work though. These people aren't trying to LEARN new concepts. It's not just the health risks it's also the fact that it becomes unproductive since you aren't given your brain enough time to MENTALLY rest.
>>
>>2846376
Hahahah up to 20 hours to a painting. How long have you been doing this? I spend over 80hours.
>>
>>2846570
I spend only 2 hours, you're slow af
>>
>>2846366
>16 HOURS A DAY
Do you all not have jobs? Do you not have things to look after? Cooking and cleaning and the menials of life surely even if you don't have a job.
>>
>>2846474
>muhh mental stability

pussy, there's a reason why artists who spend their life on art are masters.
>>
lmao you can tell that people in this have never been good at anything
>>
>>2846455
>10 hours a day drawing has no serious health risk at all if you offset it with some form of exercise, take frequent breaks, do stretching to prevent carpal tunnel and tendonitis etc.

That's what I've been saying.
You won't be focused for all 10 of those hours so that is why I said 8 hours.
If you treat getting good like a full time job, then it's quite amazing how fast you'll improve. That goes for anything not just drawing.

Also there's a reason why physical therapists, chiropractors, and massage therapists will always have clients. It's because people neglect their body for so long that they fuck it up mid-late career.

>>2846447
If you have ever played in a symphony band you'll understand the difference between working smarter not harder or longer.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.