[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you deal knowing you will never match up to X artist?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: Sargent_-_Muddy_Alligators.jpg (287KB, 800x517px) Image search: [Google]
Sargent_-_Muddy_Alligators.jpg
287KB, 800x517px
How do you deal knowing you will never match up to X artist?
>>
>>2846110
That I don't want to be X artist but be myself.
>>
don't make the comparison in the first place. What do you win by comparing yourself to them. Unless you are putting as much work in as they are and working just as hard you are just trying to stop yourself from drawing. It's self destructive.
>>
File: february-3-2017.jpg (697KB, 1000x743px) Image search: [Google]
february-3-2017.jpg
697KB, 1000x743px
>>2846110
Better question: How do I deal with comparisons to an artist who sold one painting in his lifetime and killed himself in his 30s?
>>
>>2846119
you could stop copying his style
and move on to copying cezanne

oh wait
>>
>>2846119
Really made me think Brian
I guess you can think about what happens after you die
>>
>>2846120
>move on to copying cezanne
im fucking trying. i actually paint more like cezanne anyways. its just that i dont use linseed oil for my paintings so my paint comes out thick. I'm scared to use linseed because it could burn my parents house down.
>>
>>2846131
>I'm scared to use linseed because it could burn my parents house down.
this is why I like you brian. I don't like you much though.
>>
>>2846138
fucking google autocorrecting my "How to use linseed oil" request to "Does linseed oil spontaneously combust"
>>
>>2846139
God damn, Brian has the most interesting stories in his life.
>>
I know maybe 10 artists.

I could name many more, but I am only actually familiar with the works of a handful. Few of which are concept artists that I don't even give a fuck about, and only know of from /ic/.

Honestly, if wanting to be X is your driving force, quit art. Even if you succeed (which you probably won't), you'll just be some faggot that paints like X.
>>
>>2846152
>not wanting to be some faggot who paints like Ruan Jia or Craig Mullins
>>
>>2846154
I have seen 2 or 3 chinese guys that are literally Ruan Jia knockoffs and I don't know their names and can't even remember a single painting of theirs.
>>
>>2846110
Stop comparing yourself to others. At the end of the day your work is what matters. There will always be someone better than you. always. So get over it.
>>
>>2846165
>Craig Mullins
Bruh but if I could paint like ruan jia I'd get so much pussy you have no idea
>>
>>2846119
To be honest, people comparing you to Van Gogh is pretty crap because your stuff is a lot different from Van Gogh in terms of composition, and overall brush work. I kind of see Cezanne, but I actually see Lautrec-esque brush work. I'd love to see some model studies by you, do you have anywhere else you post?
>>
>>2846179
Sure, there will always be someone better than you but comparing yourself to other artists is still essential because it allows you to critically evaluate yourself more. It gives you a barometer which in turn gives a direction as far as what areas you want to improve on.

Let's say for example, you like the work rendering of Ruan Jia, now point of reference as far as much improvement you need to do in order to reach that goal. It's like playing video games without having any levels. You're gonna get lost. Artists act as "levels"
>>
>>2846203
Now it serves* as a point of reference

You like the rendering*
>>
>>2846203
>tfw artists of the past literally looked towards godhood and humans as the ideal top
>>
>>2846131
>>I'm scared to use linseed because it could burn my parents house down.
Buy a hazardous waste bin then. You can get one for cheap on amazon
>>
File: 1000 suns.png (7KB, 475x382px) Image search: [Google]
1000 suns.png
7KB, 475x382px
>>2846110
>pic
>>
>>2846119
in your podcast you mentioned an artist should or could be able to replicate the quintessential style of any era of art history. Is this something you have done?
>>
>>2846465
It's pretty obvious Brian can not do that if you check out his blog. It's more or less an ideal to strive for.
>>
>>2846110
by knowing nobody will ever match my future me other than me
>>
>>2846112
Corny as fuck, but this.
>>
Lol its not a race.
>>
>>2846152

>you'll just be some faggot that paints like X

>damn bruh look at that anon guy who paints just like frazetta hahahahahha what a loser

theres a watts video where he talks about this
>>
>>2846796
There's dozens of frazetta copycats and you don't care about any of them.
>>
>>2847069
I care about Vallejo
>>
>>2846110
pretty sure im better than most artists i use strive to be. i have no doubts on becoming even better than who i want to be.
>>
>>2846110
i've been trying for a good near 10 years now
i probably won't ever be better than them

i sadly won't be better than i USED to be either
so i have to beat myself first and that isn't happening.
>>
>>2847103
>One out of the dozens

Vallejo doesn't care about Vallejo anymore. And the fact that he had to try that hard to crawl out of Frazetta's shadow should show you how deep a hole you dig for yourself when you follow closely behind other artists. You would have to pull a Frank Cho and jump to a new generation (of an industry Frazetta moved out of, mind you) to make your own name, though most of Cho's fans figured it out by now.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.