[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how do I go about making comics /ic/? I want to study on manga

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: 11292815.jpg (361KB, 590x714px) Image search: [Google]
11292815.jpg
361KB, 590x714px
how do I go about making comics /ic/? I want to study on manga and french comic style. (No Marvel/DC please)

Can you please suggest some artbooks about making comics? And what are some of your favourite comic/manga artists?
>>
>>2844127
Just make an upside down pentagon head with triangle eyes and you're done.
>>
>>2844127
Buy comics, physical comics. Tab them and use them as refs. Direct source is best, no book can tell you what you need. This is why you have to become an assistant to learn anything.
>>
File: BS34.jpg (649KB, 1420x1955px) Image search: [Google]
BS34.jpg
649KB, 1420x1955px
>>2844127

Some of my favourite comic book artists are Mobius, Brandon Graham, Juanjo Guarnido, Fiona Staples and Jm Ken Nimura

I can't help you much with artbooks though.
>>
>>2844466
Anon, about your taste... I think we would be friends.
>>
>>2844466
wow I wonder how many hours this took to draw
>>
>>2844728
5-6 probably.
>>
>>2844733
How long did it take to color it?
>>
>>2844734
1-2
>>
Idk where to find artbook on making comics. All google shows are Scott McCloud or fucking Mark Crilley.
>>
>>2844756
>>2844756
That's very slow, Murata could finish that page in 30 minutes tops.
>>
>>2845085
Can you though?
>>
>>2844733
>>2844756
bullshit
>>
>>2844127
>>2845006
What's there to learn about comics other than your fundamentals, adjusted for the needs of a comic book artist?
One advice from me would be studying movies as an art form.

A good comic will make you feel as if you were watching a movie. Both movies and comics have a goal of clear composition, color harmony, camera and movement to convey the story and emotion that the author has in their mind.
Watch a good movie and ask yourself - why does the cameraman do this? How did they introduce me to a new setting? Why is there a close up shot?
Be careful tho, if you study a shit movie, you'll get shit answers to your questions.
To learn what to look for in such studies, I suggest Now You See It and Every Frame a Painting.
To git gud at storyboarding and composition, I suggest Framed Ink, it's floating in the artbook thread.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doaQC-S8de8
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IprM5uCT_Ts&list=PLNhwDx-e18WT_upAhvG5q7XnyjST7deX3
>>
Solid advice anon
>>
>>2844127
Over the years I think this is the most boiled-down, must-read list of helpful stuff.

Scott Robertson - How to Draw. Perspective and other stuff to draw convincing environments.

Will Eisner's trilogy. Many say that Expressive Anatomy isn't necessary (because you're gonna read Loomis / Bridgman) but over the years I found it really helpful. It covers the essentials of figure drawing but there's a lot more material on acting which is what you really want to care about.

Marcos Mateu-Mestre - Framed Ink. This is the one I'm less sure about because it's not as dense as other titles, but it's probably the most digestible breakdown on composition aimed at storytelling.

Robert McKee - Story. It's a really eye opening book that breaks down the structure of a story so you can start building beats, scenes, and arcs.

There are lots of other books of course that are useful or helpful but if I had to choose the smallest possible list for a crash course I'd probably pick these. Making Comics is a fun read and probably stimulating but I haven't found myself thumbing through it enough to warrant a purchase. What I've understood over the years is also that, much like drawing, if you have a clear outline of what you want to do and you do a good 'block-in' of your comic, everything is gonna come out a ton easier. Except the block-in in this case is a story and not a sketch.
>>
>>2845177
>>2845392
>>2844466
ty anons
>>
>>2845006
Making Comics is a good book though, don't let anyone meme on you.
>>
>>2845392
bumping for useful info
>>
>>2845608
This. Making and Understanding Comics are good reads.

Also seconding Framed ink by someone else.
>>
Kentaro Miura, the creator of Berserk, is my favorite manga artist. His artwork is amazing, there is so much detail in each and every single line he draws. I highly suggest you check him out

As for artbooks, I don't really have any recommendations, sorry. But good luck finding some!
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.