[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hatch, crosshatch and other lines

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 9

File: crosshatchStudy0.png (209KB, 600x287px) Image search: [Google]
crosshatchStudy0.png
209KB, 600x287px
Hey B/ros, beside "get good", do you have any advice for good hatch / crosshatch? What are you using for these hatch and how?
>>
Always take the form of what you're hatching into consideration (i.e don't use straight lines to hatch rounded forms like muscles).
>>
>>2842788
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMo1C58KYqU&t=0s

Watch alphonso dunn.
>>
>>2842801
Well you could use straight lines as an aesthetic choice, but most people would find that it looks shittier and flat. Could be useful depending on what you're trying to convey visually.
>>
File: love the hatching.jpg (91KB, 701x900px) Image search: [Google]
love the hatching.jpg
91KB, 701x900px
>>2842788
I wish threads like these are more popular than those shitty bait/gossip/troll threads.

I fucking hate this place

>>2843188
good stuff, does anyone have the infograph concerning proper crosshatching angles?
>>
File: IMG_20170203_154228.jpg (1MB, 1728x2880px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170203_154228.jpg
1MB, 1728x2880px
OP there (and fairly amazed that this thread is still there!)
There's one quick example of me trying to work on hatchings and shadings. If you have some tips for improvement, i'm all ear!

>>2843188
I'm going to watch that right now, thanks a lot!
>>
File: hatching.jpg (450KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
hatching.jpg
450KB, 1000x1000px
>>2843216
Yeah, it might work if you want to convey some sort of texture, but it's risky.
I've done both, and people usually say the ones where the lines curve with the form (at some extent, I'm /beg/ stuff) are more pleasing.
>>
File: cTZfL.jpg (72KB, 533x800px) Image search: [Google]
cTZfL.jpg
72KB, 533x800px
>>2843960
When using straight lines, do you work along the plane facets like in pic related?
>>
File: crumb.jpg (309KB, 736x1027px) Image search: [Google]
crumb.jpg
309KB, 736x1027px
>>2842788
Copy what Robert Crumb does
>>
>>2844156
Those look atrocious.
>>
>>2843967
That would work pretty well, but technically they'd still be following the form, just a more angular one.
>>
>>2844169
I think they're purposefully a bit ugly as is r crumb's style. The hatching itself is still pretty impressive
>>
File: erik_gist.jpg (64KB, 771x880px) Image search: [Google]
erik_gist.jpg
64KB, 771x880px
(proper) hatching is a waste of time. Using flat tone is much quicker and looks just as good if not better.

It's kinda like scaled up hatching even.
>>
>>2844208
Cant really do that with black ink though
>>
>>2844208
That's like saying watercolor is an inferior medium to guache.
>>
File: frank-frazetta.jpg (235KB, 800x982px) Image search: [Google]
frank-frazetta.jpg
235KB, 800x982px
>>2844211
>>2844215

True I was kinda missing the point.

Frank Frazetta has an amazing inking style if you want that.

I have a Watt's Atelier bias so here's a video from him emulating a Frank Frazetta style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyGZhERTDyg
>>
Been practicing from Dunn's book and I gotta ask: should I try hatching and crosshatching from my good angle, ie turning the paper around when needed, or keep the paper straight at all times?
>>
>>2844208
How about hatching so tight that it appears to be a flat tone?
>>
>>2842788
get to be adequate
>>
>>2844326
You could try to practice to see if you can "widen" your good angle. But mostly I'd stick to it and rotate the paper, no problem with that.
>>
>>2844208
but the picture you posted looks good precisely because it has hatching, and jeff and the boys at watts fucking love hatching
>>
>>2844208

not realizing Eric also used crosshatching in pic related.
>>
>>2845621
Good idea, thanks.
>>
>>2842788
It really depends on what you want to do
Comic book inking by Gary Martin explains a lot of techniques.

There are artists who seem to ignore direction and forms and use hatching / feathering just as a tonal thing (e.g. Dave Gibbons), and people who just use very light feathering to suggest texture (Moebius) by following the volumes very carefully. Once you know what's appealing to you it's going to be a lot easier to learn.

also in my book the heavier the hatching the worse it's gonna look colored
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.