[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Construction vs Eyeballing

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: 1395855987249.jpg (400KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1395855987249.jpg
400KB, 1920x1200px
Is it worth it to learn to draw through eyeballing?
Do you guys always measure proportions before you draw?

Up until now I've always had to draw measuring a lot of proportions to get anything halfway correct. Now I'm wondering whether it's worth it to purposely draw without constant measuring. Then I would improve my eyeballing skills so I could eventually get by with less constant measuring.

What do you guys think?
>>
Draw properly with measuring proportions, angles, negative spaces and all that first and once you're confident enough with that method you can start eyeballing things more seriously. As an artist you are physically developing certain parts of your brain and that takes constant effort and especially time.
>>
>>2842496

shut the fuck up this is horrible information.
>>
>>2842831
It's how I became a pro.
>>
I always eyeball perspective, but I've drawn using perspective lines for many years. Figure proportions at least require some sort of gesture
>>
Eyeballing just saves time when you can't bother to do it perfectly. You build up the correct measurements naturally by seeing it and doing it over and over again.

Say something is 3 boxes tall, but you only need the top and bottom box. Eventually after drawing 3 boxes you'll get the feel of the distance naturally and you can skip the middle box.

Tldr it's just a shortcut. Do it the right way and you'll pick up on it eventually.
And for things that are too big of a pain in the ass to map out, just eyeball it. Better to get shit done than burn out on it.
>>
>>2842853
Post work
>>
>>2842478

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23M3m6cSCUY&feature=youtu.be

that is your answer.
>>
>>2842853

"pro" as in working for some shit-tier, bottom-dwelling mobile game company? Ya, ok. Until you post work, everything you say will be moot.
>>
>>2842478
According to Peter Han from Dynamic Sketching, you should first be able to draw using basic shapes i.e construction FIRST then you can move on to just using gestures.

When you draw, however, you are still thinking of form and shapes but only THINKING while you draw using lines or just charcaol or ink or whatever.
>>
File: IMG_7316 2.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7316 2.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>2842478
>Is it worth it to learn to draw through eyeballing?
Sure. Depends on what you're doing but generally why not? Only makes you better.

Is it required to be able to make art? Nope.

Once you get out of grade school you'll realize nobody gives a shit if you trace or use a projector or grid or whatever else. Gettin gud is important but sometimes its just about producing an appealing product.
>>
>>2844223
>>2844137
>>2843750
>>2842930
>>2842496
OP here, thanks for answering!
>>
>>2842831
You're actually never gonna make it if you think that's bad advice
>>
>>2844239

you should always measure your perspective, arguing against that shows how little experience you have.
>>
>>2842478
This person clearly used a shit ton of measurements and probably spent weeks on it. Though you're probably looking at it and thinking they did it entirely from imagination in a few hours because you didn't sit down and watch the process.
>>
>>2842496
This is correct, but being too strict with all of the aforementioned takes away what drawing is supposed to be.

If you follow them too hard then you may as well have just made it in 3d.
>>
File: 1486242921795.gif (254KB, 540x699px) Image search: [Google]
1486242921795.gif
254KB, 540x699px
>>2844223
>Graduated highschool
>Still care if I cheat and trace
>Feel like it makes my art less, and it's no longer a sheer representation of my will, skill and drive.

I know it's more important to pump out a good final result, but I don't care.

I'd rather make shit and know I really scratched my head and thought about everything than let a reference do the thinking for me.
>>
>>2842478

>>2847794
You are probably right. I will add it's paint over tones of photos (Paris mostly).
>>
>>2844244
Are you a troll? Or are you just new at art?
>>
>>2842478
If you measure and do things technically for enough pieces then it'll become second nature and you can just eyeball most things.
>>
>>2853317
What is "enough" though?
>>
>>2853320

You'll feel it yourself, and be able to adjust lines based on whether they look wrong or right. You can always check it afterwards with perspective lines, or ask someone to do so for you
>>
>>2853320
Have you ever drawn a box in perspective then drawn diagonals to get the midpoint?

Did you ever notice that you start getting faster and looser with time? That's what reaching enough is like

you don't just suddenly stop but you notice that everything just makes sense. It's not just a bunch of impersonal rules of construction, you can "feel" it now.
>>
>>2849012
It's a damned if you do damned if you dont sorta thing. Just look at how /ic/ rips on kronpr1nz for what he does.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.