[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I wrong for disagreeing with Fun with a Pencil as being a

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 2

File: borf3.png (292KB, 716x482px) Image search: [Google]
borf3.png
292KB, 716x482px
No, I'm not a faggot that's gonna say "Loomis is a meme".
But I feel like his later books offer much more learning than Fun with a Pencil, if anything Fun with a Pencil feels like for someone that's an absolute beginner.
It doesn't really cover a lot of composition, it stretches out way too much on gooks, no suggestions on working with stuff like hands, draps, anatomy, and the composition is very limited towards gesture (which I learned much easier with Proko and Hampton).
Is it just me that thinks that his later books should be suggested for a more beginner-intermediare tier?
>pic not related
>>
File: Blook Butt.jpg (229KB, 1451x571px) Image search: [Google]
Blook Butt.jpg
229KB, 1451x571px
Fun With a Pencil is in now way an absolute beginner book, it could hardly be considered a beginner book even. It's cheesy as hell but it's a deceptively advanced tome that delves into many esoteric subjects like perspective before the book's complete.

>it stretches out way too much on gooks

That's racist!
>>
>>2840910
No, you're not wrong. Drawing the head and hands is a much better piece for constructing heads, figure drawing for all it's worth is much better for manniekins, etc. But you never know where someone is when they start learning so it's better to recommend them the absolute beginner book that'll give them lots of practice instead of the novice books that might be 2 deep for them. Something like Figure Drawing for All It's worth in particular goes from drawing simple mannequins to very dynamic rendered sketches.

A lot of the art books that get recommended here go from 0 to 60. Stuff like Keys to Drawing and Fun With a Pencil are recommended as much as they are because they take it very slow, and because they focus on building good habits first and foremost, sometimes it's better to roll back to absolute beginner than think you know more than you do and keep your bad habits.
Thread posts: 3
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.