[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How Many Hours?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 16

File: woke.gif (2MB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
woke.gif
2MB, 500x375px
Be real with me /ic/, is the 12hrs a day meme real? I know FZD students have posted on here about how they suck Feng's dick and push 14-17hrs daily and pass out from exhaustion. And looking at the FZD student work it is really good.

But will I really make more gains pushing 12-14hrs a day instead of 6-8? Can FZD students really put in 12hrs of deliberate focused work every day?
>>
6 hours a day.
>>
File: goddrinkscoffee.jpg (122KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
goddrinkscoffee.jpg
122KB, 960x540px
i started digital painting 7 years ago. i spent prolly 6 hours everyday. maybe a little more some days.

come at me
>>
>>2837942
They can because that's close to what's going to be required of them in the industry. It's competitive and fairly high-stress, why wouldn't you push yourself to be the best you can be in a field that small?
>>
Sometimes I paint 16 hours a day
>>
12 hours is waayyyyyyy too much. just take your time. make the most of it, and i don't mean by drawing mindlessly for 12 hours.
>>
File: max-zh.png (177KB, 566x803px) Image search: [Google]
max-zh.png
177KB, 566x803px
If you can't make gains with 6-8, you won't be making gains with 12-14. You asking this question at all tells that you're a beginner. Just do the work and draw man. That's all FZD students do because they quite literally don't have anything else to do. They're stuck in Singapore with no friends and have sunk like 40k down the sink, so they will either draw or it'll be a huge debt they acquired for nothing. FZD student work isn't about the time they put in, it's about what they teach. They teach you to understand what you're drawing and not just copy something which will lead to faster growth.
>>
>>2837942
I'm a painter at a top art university.
We are expected to do around 8hours a day in studio. But recommend to do 10. My day is usually 10am-6pm or 8pm.
Anymore and I'd burn out honestly.
>>
>>2837960
So how do I tell if I'm making gains?

If it's not about the time then it must be about something else(focus? attention? exercises?)

"just draw" is apt, however it must be more than that because if I "just draw" for 6-8 and make no gains then you're saying it must be something else

And god dammit this >>2837947

If that's all I'm gonna get after seven YEARS of 6hrs a day then I definitely need to up my practice time
>>
>>2837964
Yeah
>>2837947
This is fucking garbage.
>>
>>2837952
When do you eat? Wash dishes? Do laundry? Run errands? Vacuum? Brush your teeth?

How do you subsist with only 1-2hrs of time available(assuming 6hrs sleep)
>>
File: HexImprovement.jpg (731KB, 680x1220px) Image search: [Google]
HexImprovement.jpg
731KB, 680x1220px
>>2837964
>So how do I tell if I'm making gains?
Are you getting closer to your goals?
If not, then you're not making gains.
If you have no goals, why are you even drawing?

Time is just what passes when you draw. What really matters is whether or not you're striving for something. That is, you need direction. That is what the goals are for. Without them, it's like going in circles while you're lost in a forest. You won't ever get out and will die.

5-6 hours a day is more than enough. You can even see here how much you can improve just on a year to year basis.
>>
>>2837961
Are you allowed to trace?

>tfw I trace and I feel guilty
>>
File: goddrinkscoffee.png (198KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
goddrinkscoffee.png
198KB, 960x540px
i've been painting for 7 years. prolly 6 hours a day some day>>2837968
s i don't paint tho
>>
>>2837972
Rules are lax, it's uni. But when I first started I did. But I was a kid then.
Honestly you shouldent be tracing. It dosent really help you.
When looking at an object try to examine it and understand it. Tracing takes away this stage.
Don't be afraid to make a shit drawing, which is why I assume you are tracing. Embrace this shittyness of the drawing and move on. Try again, examine why is is shit.
Trying drawing an object from a diffrent angle then what you can see. Drawing is not about looking as much as it is about understanding.
>>
>>2837968
>garbage

can you elaborate please.
>>
>>2837970
Pretty sure Chumbum lives with his parents.
>>
>>2837981
Another good trick. Rather then tracing. Look at how other artsits have tacked the same object. If you cannot get a nose right. Look at how a load of other artists tacked painting a nose.
>>
Concept artist here. 8 hours a day is bare minimum if you want to make it. If you want to break into this field, you're gonna have to be at least as good as the people already in it, and they're all working at least 8 hours a day just at their job. 8hrs is minimum. 10 is really good - you will make it for sure if you can push yourself this hard. 12 will make you a top-tier talent within a few years. Yes, these are brutal hours. That's why pretty much everyone who wants to be a professional artist either fails or quits.

Ignore anyone who says that 6 hours a day (or less lol) is fine. Ignore anyone who says hours aren't really important and what's REALLY important is just observing or analyzing. These are lies they tell themselves because they're lazy and don't want to work. Getting good is all about mileage.

Don't hate me. I'm just the messenger. This is the stuff that the Massive Black guys told me when I was starting 10 years ago, and I took it to heart and I made it. I've seen the truth of it many times since then. Anyone who tells you this is easy and doesn't require you to pour your soul into it is wrong.
>>
>>2837982
it's not garbage on it's own, but for 6 hours a day for 7 years it is
>>
>>2837985
>Look at how other artsits have tacked the same object. If you cannot get a nose right. Look at how a load of other artists tacked painting a nose.
How do you do that? Watch tutorials on noses and see how they draw it? Ask someone to draw a nose?
>>
>>2837982
I've seen less life in a stale shit.
The colours on the mug seem random, I assume its a smooth shiny surface so why is it patchy? place is sits on is badly shaded so it has a strange curve and has no solid feel about it.
Also im sure no mug in history has a handle that sharp.
The steam is placed ontop and does not interact with the object.
The shadows are gross.
The edges are all too hard.
I could continue.
>>
>>2837986
Post your work.
>>
>>2837987
well what do you fucking expect in terms of rendering?

I'm CONSERNDED NOW
>>
>>2837995
You know funposting is fun and all, but really. Lets tone it down a bit with the stupidity.
>>
>>2837986
don't listen to this cuck. post work or cut the shhit asshole.

i'm the guy who painted mug.

8 hours a day or 10 hours is fucking nonesense. if if you dedicate 10 hours of practice you need to take breaks/distractions- that's going to narrow down to 6 hours
>>
>>2838005
Muganon, who was your mentor and what did they tell you to do to make it? What would you have done differently?
>>
>>2838000
ok stop ready my ip address dick.
>>
File: 2006_018 (1).jpg (124KB, 1000x508px) Image search: [Google]
2006_018 (1).jpg
124KB, 1000x508px
>>2837987
Ill try explain with an example Im looking at now. I noticed I was having a hard time capturing edges without black. But wanted to avoid using black as it pulls the life out of a painting. I paint people by the way.

So I looked at Eric Fischl and Alice neil. Lets say Im trying to paint legs from life.

Now im painting my model but find the knee to be really difficult so I look at this painting of his and look at his use of strong oranges and the shapes he creates, using soft "balls" and long shafts of highlights below. Which I might not have seen on my model for whatver reason until I saw them in his painting.
>>
>>2838008
Woops I meant this post.>>2837989
Honestly, tutorials are helpful.
But if you need them constantly you are thinking wrong. Get in the right mindset.
>>
>>2838008
That is what people look like at the beach, have you never been there? People are shiny as fuck.
>>
File: 1483697248106.jpg (107KB, 480x953px) Image search: [Google]
1483697248106.jpg
107KB, 480x953px
>meme)))
You draw 8 hours in any artschool. And even more after classes in in workshop
>>
>>2838015
>You draw 8 hours in any artschool.
>I pulled a random number out of my ass
There's lecture and critiques, the time you spend drawing in class itself varies a ton.
>>
>>2838014
Missing the point. Its all about different perspectives. its not a competition.
>>
>>2838006
i never had a mentor. I was abandoned and left to survive on my own. my advice is go to art school after you're 25. give yourself to grow up before u enter the realm of cuckolds
>>
>>2837981
>>2837985
Thanks a lot, anon, I'm really afraid to make shit drawings just as you said. I don't trace in traditional, but in digital oh boy I'm so insecure I'll make a shit underdrawing. I'll do exactly as you said. Thank again for taking the time, anon
>>
>>2838005
>don't listen to this cuck. post work or cut the shhit asshole.

The guy with the craptastic mug painting is really mad to hear that you have to study at least 8 hours/day if you want to compete in one of the most competitive fields in the world.

what a surprise.

>8 hours a day or 10 hours is fucking nonesense.

Ladies and gentlement, I present this anon as Exhibit A in why advice on /ic/ is mostly terrible. Here you have an absolute noob with the worst work imaginable telling you all with total assurance that working 8-10 hours a day is "fucking nonsense" and that to succeed as a professional you don't need to work nearly that hard. Yes, all you need to do is work 1-4 hrs per week like him and you too can paint eye-burning mugs.
>>
>>2838020
mug anon. that's pretty wise.
>>
You're going to get mad diminishing returns the more hours you put in past 6-8. There's a saying, "Never mistake mere activity for accomplishment,", and once you've been at it for 8 hours I'm willing to bet you're not thinking as critically as you were at hour 3-4.

Even worse if those extra 4 hours beyond 8 are at the expense of your sleep/health. I'm willing to bet you a guy who does a solid 8 hours and gets a good night's sleep will do BETTER than a guy who does 12 and doesn't.
>>
>>2838020
>after 25

But that's the age when your brain begins to lose plasticity.
>>
>>2838022
anyone who spends 8 to 10 hours a day is an autist and has non efficient work flow. 6 hours is more than a enough to get good and be among the best.keep being shit anon. still waiting for u to post work.
>>
>>2838020
>before u enter the realm of cuckolds
What if I've already entered this
>>
>>2838026
mug anon here.

no thats the age when your brain is fully developed. so you'll have an edge over the younger kids who don't know what the fuck they're doing.
>>
>>2838031
I like how you designed the mug.
>>
>>2838031
You say that but a majority of /ic/ is middle twenties and don't know what the fuck they're doing.
>>
>>2838041

I thought majority was below 25 with avg 23.
>>
File: igor-sid-88-1.jpg (140KB, 1079x1200px) Image search: [Google]
igor-sid-88-1.jpg
140KB, 1079x1200px
This guy is pure self-taught aritist who started from zero when he was 21 or 22 yo as I remember
>https://www.artstation.com/artist/sidwill
Not taking into consideration his shitty personality, he actually said something like
>you draw 12 hours per day
>or watch your anime and be trash
>>
>>2838041
i never know what to do on sundays.
>>
>>2838041
>a majority of /ic/ is middle twenties
more like 16-22
>>
>>2838045
Source.
>>
File: cup_wip.png (198KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
cup_wip.png
198KB, 960x540px
>>2838027

Oh shit, is this you?

>>2837301

>i'm in my mid twenties and I've been drawing since i was a kid. been into digital painting since 2010 and i'm pretty damn good.

this delusion.

No wonder you're bitter. You failed because you half-assed it. You can still make it... but you'll have to drop the ridiculous ego and admit that, if you want to compete in this field, you have to fucking work.

Anons, again I tell you - pic related is the face of the "8 hours a day isn't necessary" crowd. If you want to make work like this, please continue to slack off. You too can quit in your mid-20s with no success and terrible work.
>>
>>2838045
>https://www.artstation.com/artist/sidwill
this guys is his 30's and all of that is recent work.
>>
>>2838050
his ask.fm
>>
>>2838052
honestly what you just said is just a bunch of horse shit lol
>>
>>2838052
i never went to art school. never plan on it. too much debt involved. yea not being able to go into debt makes me a little bitter.
>>
>>2838062

Who's talking about art school? I didn't go to art school either. Zero debt. I still made it. Because I know how to grind the hours necessary.

You guys are funny. Please, feel free to putter around doing 1-3 hours of work a day and taking weekends off to masturbate or whatever it is you do. You're not hurting me; I'll be over here working my ass off so I can compete with all these Asian painting-robot gods showing up everywhere and dominating the industry because they work like machines.

Ars longa, vita brevis. Less competition for the real artists.
>>
File: nicemug.png (199KB, 610x540px) Image search: [Google]
nicemug.png
199KB, 610x540px
what is 2 more hours going to accomplish? nothing. don't even bother burning your days with 8-10 hour practicing.
>>
>>2838068
>I'll be over here working my ass off so I can compete with all these Asian painting-robot gods showing up everywhere and dominating the industry because they work like machines.
Fantasy
>>
>>2838053
He's 27 years old
>>
>>2838068
If you worked 12 hours a day, you wouldn't be on 4chan right now. You'd be working.
>>
>>2838068
you're making a mistake. don't even try to compete.
>>
>>2838068
What do you study in 12hrs to see such improvement? That's what I don't get, how does someone actually put in serious focus for all that time?

Is it really possible to go from shit to gud in 3-4yrs of serious 12hr days?

And if u have any work pls post
>>
>>2838068
i'm still waiting for you to post work. just do a wip for us. nobody will know who u are.
>>
>>2838085
Not that anon, but it is possible to work for 12 hours. It has to do with rendering and how long it takes to refine things. So if you do finished pieces, it can take up towards 10 hours, but /ic/ doesn't typically do that and only does sketches, so they probably wouldn't know. Especially if you're a slow artist, rendering time ranks up really quickly. Could hit 20 hours if you're trying to do something advanced.
>>
>>2838074

I don't work 12hrs a day, and I never said I did. I do art as my job now, and I've relaxed a little. This is all obvious to anyone reading my posts who's not trying to poke holes in them because they're afraid that what I'm saying is true.

I'm talking about what it takes to get good. If you don't want to end up quitting art in your mid-20s as making bitter posts on /ic/ about how delusional you were to ever think you had a shit like mug guy, bust your ass.
>>
>>2838089
mug guy here. First of all let me get one thing right, I busted my hand not my ass, technically nobody can draw with their butt.

secondly. You're a fucking hypocrite to call anyone bitter on /ic.

Post work.
>>
File: male-figure.jpg (28KB, 228x600px) Image search: [Google]
male-figure.jpg
28KB, 228x600px
>>2838089
Suggestions for how to study properly while busting ass?

I know to avoid mindless drawing, avoid symbol drawing, and avoid scribbling or staying in comfort zone. But what do?

What ratio of life drawing vs imaginary drawing? How much time spent drawing boxes/forms from imagination vs drawing boxes/forms from reference? Should I try to render exactly detailed like pic, or should I try to be more loose using forms to construct drawings? Do I need to do both detailed drawings & constructionist drawings?
>>
File: micenug.jpg (76KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
micenug.jpg
76KB, 960x540px
>>2838071
>>
File: 1321536457576575.jpg (81KB, 1886x374px) Image search: [Google]
1321536457576575.jpg
81KB, 1886x374px
>>2838099
You not gonna make it. Just give up. You can't do anything without mommy's hand. Don't waste your time on drawing.
>>
>>2838111
i don't know what is pasta anymore. shits gone haywire
>>
File: naisumug.jpg (34KB, 958x534px) Image search: [Google]
naisumug.jpg
34KB, 958x534px
>>2838104
>>
>>2838111
Would be nice to get advice, yes.

Nobody answered the previous post I made with a real answer so I made the post again in this thread too... and I see you won't answer so I'll probably ask a 3rd time
>>
>>2837949
>why wouldn't you push yourself
Because you can fuck up your health for life.
Knowledge goes into long term memory during sleep. Also your focus diminishes greatly without decent breaks. If you are robot or retarded, feel free to abandon any rest.
>>
>>2838099
>Suggestions for how to study properly while busting ass?
Draw.

>I know to avoid mindless drawing, avoid symbol drawing, and avoid scribbling or staying in comfort zone. But what do?
Draw.

>What ratio of life drawing vs imaginary drawing?
Doesn't matter.

>How much time spent drawing boxes/forms from imagination vs drawing boxes/forms from reference?
Doesn't matter.

>Should I try to render exactly detailed like pic, or should I try to be more loose using forms to construct drawings?
Seriously doesn't matter.

>Do I need to do both detailed drawings & constructionist drawings?
Dude just fucking stop and draw, god damn it.
>>
>>2838045
Dare I say it?
>>
>>2838015
If you count breaks and lectures it would easily go down to half if not third of this time.
>>
>>2838045
>he actually said something like
But is it accurate? He might just said how much time is between him beginning and ending work. Lumping into 12 hours all breaks and lunches and whatnot.
>>
Thing is I'd be willing to put in 6-10 hours if full-time college wasn't a thing

How do you keep up the motivation during school?
>>
>>2838200
During STEM school or art school?

It's simple, you enjoy art more than those things.>>2838200
>>
>>2838204
Doing a STEM degree because in Australia all your options are shit (wrt art), and I usually have full days but am drained afterwards

I do love art so much more, but honestly the most I can aim for is 1-2 hours and that's being optimistic.
>>
>>2838210
if you want a real carrer you need to change soon. But honestly you cannot expcet to do more then about 3 hours a day and have a healthy life.
if your a hobbyist no worries.
>>
>>2838116
New meme?
>>
>>2838210
You can still do the work but you'll have to space it out
>>
>>2838213
Thanks. I would like a real career but it does seem unrealistic at this point... don't know what to do now ahaha. I've been grinding in the holidays but during school everything takes a nosedive
>>
>>2838222
Thanks, it just feels like I won't be able to improve fast enough to be a real contender...
>>
This thread went to shit faster than my bean burito
>>
>>2838277
This bean burrito was shit to begin with.
>>
that's 'cause everybody is done shitting in my cup of coffee. 7 years boys/ladies. 7 fuckin' years and I'm not even mad.
>>
>>2838290
You was pretty annoying, but this post made me chuckle.
>>
>>2837942
Why do you guys put so much emphasis on the hours? The important thing is not whether you're drawing 1 hour a day, 3 hours a day, 6 hours or 12 hours a day. The important thing is what you're actually learning.

I've seen artists who drew 12 hours a day and made little progress and i've seen artist who drew 2 hours a day and made huge gains. At the same token, I saw artists who drew 2 hours a day and made no progress and artists who drew 12 hours a day and made incredible progress.

Everybody is different, from how long it takes us to understand a concept, to the amount of breaks we needs, to the other responsibilities we have in life.
>>
>>2838395
tldr; shut up and draw(with focus)
>>
>>2838395
I find what you say to be right. Indeed, I feel like it's not more that 3-4 hours per day of productive work possible, while the rest of the time being flushed to toilet and better spent on sleeping, working out or just watching TV.

The problem is, I never know which 3-4 hours out of my 10-12 hour work time are those magical productive hours. Neither I know, how to induce them deliberately. So I just have to work a lot, hoping those productive hours just to pop up.
>>
File: 8107508.jpg (25KB, 300x301px) Image search: [Google]
8107508.jpg
25KB, 300x301px
>>2837942
If you're asking if the 12hrs a day meme is real, then you probably know you're not drawing as much as you could, but you want someone to give you a pat on your back so you can feel OK with it.
>>
>>2837942
17 is a strict minimum wage, but don't do more if you want to copy FZD.
>>
File: dexter-unimpressed.jpg (29KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
dexter-unimpressed.jpg
29KB, 640x480px
>>2840570
>minimum wage
>wage

>but don't do more if you want to copy FZD
>do less than 17 wage if you want to copy FZD
Thread posts: 95
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.