[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Photobashing thread

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

Can we discuss this method of art?

According to muh university this is needed for design. My problem is it just loses creativity its literally copying shit
>>
>>2836175
Never liked it desu but every concept designer just mashes things together thats why backgrounds and films in general look so familiar they literally use photobashing but on a meta level
>>
>loses creativity
Are you fucking retarded or what?
Not gonna fucking make it.
>>
>>2836178
I inderstand the need for speed but when youre fucking copying and pasting shit thats not creativity, its fucking cheating you mongoloid

You wouldnt write an essay and copy and paste paragraphs from someone else so why the fuck would you do this?
>>
>>2836175
Photobashing is merely a process, if you think the process is the creative part of concept art than you really have no idea what concept art is.
>>
>>2836188
I write my essay in a software somebody else made
>>
>>2836193
Software is the tool

Photoshop is the tool for photobashing

Ripping out a castle and sticking it ontop of a fucking skyscraper isnt something you've created, youve taken other peoples photographs, its called plagiarism
>>
Just photobash and 3D it senpai, no time to hang around rendering stuff.
>>
>>2836228
What about concepting it used to be about fundamentals and grrat lines, shit like mobius and syd mead youre not gonna get that with photobashing
>>
Photobashing is for noobs who gave up on learning how to draw properly . They also admit to eyedropper colors when they need it.

Personal experience. Photobashing person I know asked me "why I'm doing it the hard way".

We don't talk anymore
>>
>>2836402
>he thinks photobashing is easy
>>
>>2836175
Is this really photobashed? They did a good job covering it up. Is everything painted over? (any process videos?)
>>
>>2836254
Too slow, concept artists are hired to provide realistic imagery and quickly.
>>
>>2836191
only correct answer
>>
>>2836419
I never got this. If they really want time to be saved, the concept artists should just give their source photos to the design team instead of making a photobash. I've never seen a design team carry out something resembling what the concept guy did, they just make it more bland and generic since they don't seem to be working with any photo reference. So the concept art phase seems useless to the workflow of any project. Talk about wasting time.
>>
>>2836175
you don't need photos but you do need some sort of abstract shapes or images to help brainstorm.

It's all about finding a good idea amidst the chaos. I once saw a chat with Feng Zhu on LevelUp where he was taking photos, then cutting them up into abstract forms to design space craft.

Photobashing won't kill your creativity, it'll help get your mind flowing.
>>
>>2836188
Photobashing saves time and can be used for brainstorming designs. Having all that chaos on your screen will help come up with something good in your mind
>>
It saves time at the cost of originality. So it's good for cookie cutter shit, but terrible for a original vision. At times there is barely any design to speak of. One of the worst things I ever saw was Wojtek (I think) literally taking a picture of a male model and stick on one of those stupid mr concept art toaster looking things on his head and then he had the utter nerve to call it fashion design. There was no fashion design involved, he literally took a picture from a catwalk and pasted machinery on top of it. Absolutely cancerous and anyone defending it from a artistic point of view is worth less than dog shit in my eyes.
>>
>>2836203
It's not very different than a collage.
It can be creative too. It just depends on what you want to achieve.
>>
>>2836615
this.
>>
File: 0153 - WlHOCzS.jpg (12KB, 258x245px) Image search: [Google]
0153 - WlHOCzS.jpg
12KB, 258x245px
>>2836188
>cheating
>>
>>2836405
It is fuckinv easy i just saw a bit h kn my class get high praise fot literally putting some FZD students art together and the lecturer thoughg she was fuckinv pro
>>
>>2836523
and yet, here we are.
>>
>>2836175
Photobashing is neither a "method" or "art". it's a tumor on the back of concept art that grew in response to the daft demands of the industry. one day it will kill its hosts last shred of legitimacy as an artform
>>
>>2836175
>You a concept art dude
>gotta design sum of dat high end looking ass stuff for film or aaa video games
>ah hell rendering an entire mountain side would take one babillion years
>good thing i can use this texture of a mountain and my understanding of art lets it blend in none too harshly
>because hey i'm working at a studio to the point of kicking out good design for pre production. Not creating works of sellable art
>>
>>2836523
>just give their source photos
Oh yeah, the cept team should of just given level and asset design photos of a floating city rather than painting it.

And what the hell is this talk about photobashing? The term is used to describe poor over use of photo textures.
>>
>>2836254
Syd mead classic god.

The times they are a changin
Concept art is so fast now.... it's a shame. I guess, thats why it all looks fairly similar to eachother. Photo bash smash smash smash...

Scott Robertson approach is cool taking photos and random shit, then smashing rotating, cutting and distorting to find new things! But, how many concept artists use off the wall techniques or create their own ways of finding different or new concepts in the random and mundane.
>>
>>2837976
I read that in feng zhus boice and yea, it legitamizes my theory that he is a hack
>>
>"There are no rules, only tools"
>>
>>2838035
You clearly have some rose tinted view of what concept art is. It's design that takes advantage of art knowledge. Anyone who needs to push out a design in a short amount of time isn't gonna waste time fucking around with carefully painting textures that won't be more than noise in the overall composition anyway.
>>
>>2838035
So a guy who's more a designer than an artist, who has clearly demonstrated the ability to paint but chooses to use a faster technique is a hack in your eyes?

Maybe you should actually watch his videos rather than shitpost
>>
>>2838035
Fucking get over yourself m8
>>
>>2836523
The concept artist ARE part of the fucking design team...

The character artist and modelers and animation artist down the pipeline have zero to draw from until these concept arts visualize these ideas enough to transfer them into the 3D stage.
>>
I've stepped my game a little up with Photobashing. Bought some Photobash.org pics, started paying more attention to composition and details, even got a job at a kinda decent local game studio.

People saying "photobash is hack" are not gonna make it.
>>
This interview is obligatory for people saying it's cheating, lol.
Fucking purist peasants.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fso4HB3Axw
>>
>>2839747
The true question is
>What are the three dicks doing there?
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.