[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Miles Johnston BTFO

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

File: milesbtfo.jpg (130KB, 972x382px) Image search: [Google]
milesbtfo.jpg
130KB, 972x382px
Some guy literally copied what Miles does down to the pencil strokes, got to the front page, and hot on his heels with the 47 upvotes after 6 hours is Miles with his own artwork.

Let this be a lesson to you: If you are an illustrator and all you do is illustration it doesn't matter how special snowflake you think your art style is some younger artist is come along and do what you do better.

inb4 Simon Stalenhag gets replaced by a younger hipper artist
>>
File: waitbutguys.jpg (136KB, 904x154px) Image search: [Google]
waitbutguys.jpg
136KB, 904x154px
>>2834937
heres his "Wait but guys what about me! Remember me! I MATTER TOO!" post that went along with his picture
>>
>>2834937
>>2834939
It's just a couple of upboats, why do you care?
There are illustrators are there who aren't popular but still get the money while enjoying what they do.
>>
>>2834937

Miles is many leagues above that guy in terms of skill though. Keep in mind Miles also do most of his work purely without reference, the upvoted drawing is essentially a photo copy with some additional flair
>>
>>2834942
those are salaried concept artists and in-house illustrators that do more than have a "style" and all of these artists like Miles have no versatility. It's like Sakimi and Kron, they draw pretty girls and hope they are the most popular pretty girl artist. And it's sink or swim. If you don't make it like Sakimi or Kron did it's sink or swim, until someone iterates on what you do and replaces the little spit of land you carved out for yourself.

It's just always hilarious when it happens. Miles is gonna be a teller at a bank within the next 5 years. art dreams effectively killed because he went for the easy money and it didn't work.
>>
>>2834944
>the upvoted drawing is essentially a photo copy with some additional flair
he's getting replaced with a photobasher essentially. happens all the time.
>>
>>2834948

On fucking REDDIT yes. It's hardly a yardstick for how well your art career will blossom
>>
>>2834946

So what should he have done differently in your opinion?
>>
>>2834950
given up any notion of incorporating fine arts into his illustration work and instead gone for the glossiest, hippest, easiest to execute illustration he could like sakimi and kron. Illustration is like pop music. Don't try to make it anything it's not.

the guy who got the top spot today deserved it. He went for a more lowest common denominator version of what Miles does, and honestly will probably be endlessly more popular than Miles as a result.

He basically should've been doing fanart. But he probably feels he's above that. The guy that got front page today copied a photo of a celebrity. THATS how you do it. And a lot of people pointed it out in the post as a positive.

Miles still has a chance at a career in fine arts if he can get all the illustrative work out of his habits. If he focuses on still lifes, portraits, nudes, and landscapes without all the affected flourishes of his work that got popular on reddit he'll be fine. But he'll probably still keep chasing the illustration money and eventually give up.
>>
>>2834958
>talking about fine art and illustration
Brian?
>>
>>2834958
i know that sounds harsh, but that's what he has to do. Don't mean to make fun of the guy, but if he doesn't adjust he'll be replaced and nobody will give a shit about doing it.
>>
>>2834944
Does he really not use ref? I assumed he did
>>
>>2834965

Yep, he thinks it's more fun without it. I've seen him draw live so I know it's not exaggregated
>>
>>2834958
I don't see how Miles' lean towards more illustrative art should be a hinderance. Isn't fine arts much harder to sell, unless you get lucky and hit either the kitchsy or money laundering demographics?
>>
>>2834970
Good shit. I believe it. I think Dave rapoza mentored him for a bit too right? He doesn't use refs either.
>>
>>2834965
>>2834970
>>2834980
keep trying to keep the dream alive. the public doesn't care if you don't use refs.
>>
>>2834984
I don't give a shit what the public thinks. It matters to me
>>
>>2834995
sorry about your reddit career, miles. hopefully you sell some of those prints
>>
>>2834958
You could be describing James Jean. I hear he has done ok for himself.
>>
>>2834984

>anon cant draw without reference
>>
>>2835027
>implying literally anyone cares what an artist thinks
>>
File: normie pandering 101.jpg (355KB, 954x609px) Image search: [Google]
normie pandering 101.jpg
355KB, 954x609px
>>2834937
Found comments saying that he's is friends with Miles and Miles teaches him. Last I heard he was doing classes for a couple weeks each month at that Stockholm atelier, and this guy is going to some swedish art school too.

The difference is that Miles is pretentious, whereas this kid is shameless about pandering massively to normies. Making it a portrait of that Cara chick is like if they'd drawn Jennifer Lawrence or Chris Pratt if it was a guy. Also ctrl+F through their comments, they reply to people like
>haha yes! her eyes are on fleek!
And plugs his instagram as much as he can, three times in the comments.

Also looked at his other posts/whatever the fuck they're called, and he posted on Miles' thing admitting that
>he inspires me a lot. Perhaps even more than I first realised.

So the guy saw that Miles was only getting (you)s and artists jerking off over his pretentious 'meaningful' pencil work, and saw the opportunity of making it have mass appeal, with a fraction of the time, and with all the rewards.

I'm not justifying him and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth but it also doesn't surprise me. Maybe posting his work right before Miles was a deliberate sabotage too, who knows.
>>
after learning miles doesnt use reference, i'm not surprised because all his women look the same. i like his work but i've gotten bored of it, its essentially nicely rendered pretty girl + abstract "deep" background, i just wish he would try new things because it seems like he's stagnating
>>
>>2835371
>i just wish he would try new things because it seems like he's stagnating
I agree. I think he talked about it in a video once saying that drawing a pretty girl is just his default.
>>
>>2834958
Miles has a healthy career in illustration while doing his fine arts thing on the side. Reddit upvotes don't translate to money. Clients giving you work do. Why do you care so much about people who are far better off than you are when it comes to having a career in art?
>>
i remember when miles was pretty bad back during the golden years of conceptart.org

we started off the same year, same way, same age. we even have the same birthday.

hearing about miles makes me want to drink.
>>
>>2834937
>inb4 Simon Stalenhag gets replaced by a younger hipper artist
only swedes will be able to replicate the certain feeling he produces and younger swedes are even less related to the era he draws
>>
>>2834937

This thread is pretty sad even by /ic/ standards. Stay bitter, cucks.
>>
>>2834958
>>2834937

I refuse to believe you have to really go for the plebiest route. I...I like what Johnston does, I'd like to see more of such illustrations ;____;
>>
>>2835616

It's just a case of crabs in a bucket mentality. Ignore that anon
>>
r/art makes /ic/ look into a legitimate fine art discussion group
>>
>>2835618

O-ok, will do.
>>
>>2834984

>not understanding that going without references is for art quality and general better aesthetics and process

Keep being sensitive
>>
>>2835616
You don't, you won't get super famous but you don't need to. You can work at a design company as either a concept artist or in house illustrator.
>>
>>2836671
What is an in house illustrator? What's a design company too?
>>
>>2836673
I mean a game company like ninjatheory.
An in-house illustrator would be someone who does all the illustrations after finalised designs for environments and characters but they're not freelance and work for the company full time
>>
>>2834942
>It's just a couple of upboats, why do you care?
Those who can't do, teach.
Those who can't teach, critique.
Those who can't critique desperately hope for the downfall of those who can do.
>>
>>2834937
Neither tumblr reposts nor reddit upvotes translate to comissioned work. You can stop being so jelly now.
>>
>>2834937
>Impying IT isnt just about a subject matter
>>
>>2838976
>muh sayings

Good critique is better than bad teaching and bad doing.
>>
>>2834937
Life is cruel. Make some commercial study instead.
>>
>>2839075
Everyone thinks their shit doesn't stink.
>>
>Just going off instagram, Miles has 49k followers and gets thousands of likes on all his pieces
>Has a steady illustration career and can sell many prints of his work easily
>His friend with only a few hundred followers makes an inferior copy of his style and it gets a few upvotes on reddit
>All of a sudden he's been "replaced"
>lol /ic/
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.