[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I make myself draw

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

File: 1484077082270.png (271KB, 887x1298px) Image search: [Google]
1484077082270.png
271KB, 887x1298px
How do I make myself draw
>>
Self-discipline. You just have to fucking do it. People like James Jean and Kim Jung Gi got good because they drew all the time every day.
>>
>>2834539
How do I gain self-discipline when I have none
>>
>>2834542
You just have to force yourself to draw and keep up with it. Starting a routine is the most difficult part. Once you get the ball rolling though, it gets easier. It's just something that takes time to develop.
>>
>>2834536
If you don't enjoy drawing then don't do it.
>>
>>2834560
I enjoy drawing a lot except I fucking suck at it. Forcing myself to draw things I don't like to draw in order to improve feels miserable to me
>>
>>2834567
I had that exact mindset for the longest time and it did nothing but impede me. I thought drawing nothing but figures and studies was boring as shit. However, when I decided to just start doing it and saw my work actually improve leaps and bounds over time, it started to become a lot more fun. Seeing the actual improvements over time really helped a lot in terms of motivation especially when you finally get to apply it to imaginative work.
>>
you have to have a plan every day

your problem is you do want to draw but you don't know what to draw

if you knew what to draw everyday you will do it, so making a personal plan is needed. It takes a lot of brainstorming and finding out what works for you. Spend the next few days doing so.
>>
>>2834577
Actually I know exactly what I want to draw, I get discouraged because I know EXACTLY what I want my image to be and can't even remotely come close to the quality I want, and if I'm not drawing what I want it feels like a painful chore instead of a fun hobby
>>
>>2834536
You just have to take a pencil in your hand and make lines on a sheet of paper.
>>
>>2834539
but they absolutely love drawing. that's what fuels them to do it all the time. if you don't have that kind of fuel you will not do something difficult over a long period of time.
>>
>>2834583

then you need that video on youtube that tells young aspiring artist that "it's okay to fail, fail when nobody knows you exist, experiment dude and let go bro".
>>
>>2834542
Start out doing an hour a day. The goal isn't to do it long at first but to make sure you can do it every day. Then start adding 10-20 minutes each session.
>>
Just have a pencil and sketchbook nearby. And just draw what you see. Go for a walk and bring back rocks or branches, rusted tin cans. Draw them. That's what helped me, drawing from books/photos is not very good as you think too much about lines instead of contours if that makes sense. But everyone has their own methods so don't just listen to me.
>>
>>2834536
ok OP stop fucking whining, dude. The only way to get better is by working at it, there's no 2 step program to being a good artist. You say you see what you want to draw, but when you do it, it turns out like shit, that's the reality of it. Keep working and practicing and you'll get better. Who cares if you're shit now, just draw every day, don't get discouraged by the lines you make, because you have to work before you're good. WORK. WORK. WORK. JUST FUCKING DRAW.
>>
>>2834536
You just stop being such a little bitch, understand that if you can't even muster up the self discipline to sit down and draw you're literally not gonna make it.
>>
>>2834536
maybe you just dont like art that much
>>
>>2834542
join the military
>>
>>2834536
Put lines on a page. Can you do better than lines? Okay, some shapes or forms. Better than that? Okay, maybe a vehicle or a person....

There is always something to improve, and that's what your next drawing is. I found it easier when I decided to focus on getting good at "one thing", which I defined to be "the female figure using a pencil on paper".

Used to only draw once every two weeks, now I draw almost every day and I feel guilty when I don't.

>>2834542
If you have discipline elsewhere, it's a matter of making drawing a habit until discipline transfers over.

If you don't have discipline anywhere, you're going to die and no one will remember you, and if that thought doesn't spur you into anything, don't worry about it.

>>2834567
Everything involves at least a little bit of suffering. I think the important thing is to be able to measure and take into perspective what suffering pays off and what doesn't. And to take things into perspective, you need mileage of some sort - any sort, but preferably you try out a bunch of things starting off.

Starting out I enjoyed immensely doing the finger/pencil/visual measuring thing, even when it turned out bad, and learning anatomy was a little more drawn out but also interesting, even though what appeared on the page was boxy and dumb as shit.

With that known to me, I tried out gestures, it infuriated me, I saw how it got me nowhere in comparison, and I haven't touched it again since. Looking back I can see the intention, but for various reasons a single swirly "line of action" screws up my preferred workflow.

But I can only look back because I moved forward, and that in turn was because I continued putting lines on the page.
>>
>>2834583
I think you'll find that you don't know "EXACTLY" what you want to draw. Imaginations aren't so precise. Imagine some very specific blob in your head, with several concaves and convexes 3D if you're feeling adventurous. Think out all the proportions and curves. Draw it. I say your drawing will be more "exact" than your imagination, but after you look at it, you'll at least agree that the blob doesn't look "less precise" than whatever you imagined in your head. At best you can say it's "different".

The distance between what's on the page and what you "imagine" isn't the ability of your imagination, it's the ability of your memory. You remember how a waifu looks, or how a dragon looks, or what certain things in the scene you imagine look like. Exception which proves this rule: the blob exercise.

I think a lot of people imagine drawing to be something like copy/pasting, from a document called "imagination" to a document called "blank page", and all they need to do is press CTRL+C then CTRL+V. It's not untrue, that's basically what it is once (except it takes hours instead of seconds) you understand everything, but *learning* to draw in this analogy is learning how to code.

If you haven't drawn, you probably don't understand anatomy, perspective, negative space, reflectivity, color theory, etc. You do in a multiple choice sense, maybe even a short answer sense. But do you understand it in the sense that you can use it? Someone could write library reference volumes on how to ride a bicycle; not gonna help someone who hasn't ridden one.

You DON'T know exactly, and your imagination is NOT perfection.

As long as you believe otherwise, you won't draw.
>>
I remember Kim Jung Gi draw some comic page about one guy who draw and other guy who stop drawing because of frustration and start playing games. He wake up in cartoon box under bridge in the end
>>
>>2834602
What do you think it means when someone likes drawing?

I always thought it meant they liked whatever it was they drew. Waifus, dragons, jets, whatever. If it was an interview, they'd say it was because they liked a certain IP, or a certain company. All things anyone can understand.

I draw because I like visceral immediate feedback and I like thinking visually. My degree is in engineering and I got into it because I liked the idea of making mechanical productive machines, but I got a job once doing CAD work and jesus fucking christ fuck CAD work. Menus and more menus and clicking and formulas and boxes and more boxes to make something that would've been infinitely more fun if I just did it by pencil. I really hope the workflow for Zbrush or Blender or whatever is different because if they aren't I'm going to avoid it like the plague.

Turns out I'm really visceral and nitpicky. Turns out drawing is pretty suitable for that. I also like the idea of drawing my waifus getting dicked in positions i find hot from camera angles which emphasize my favorite curves, but that's really secondary --- at least, for me. If I had to go through CAD and lazy co-workers and shitty management to make that, fuckin forget about it. But if all I need to get there is some of my own time, a rod of god, and some paper?

You can't find out if you "absolutely love" something if you don't try it out first. You can like it, but you can't know if it's the kind of like which can be cultivated to something you want to return to 10,000 times unless you concentrate effort and suffer just a little bit to try several things out, a few hours a day, every day, for maybe a month. It's not an equal-sided knowledge problem; it takes longer to know if you really like something than if you really hate it.

You can't find this stuff in books. You need to know yourself.
>>
>>2834536
When you figure it out, let me know.
>>
>>2834536
>>
Easy: Have a reason to do it or simply enjoy it. If you have neither joy nor a strong reason to do something you won't do it, because you know you could be spending your time with something more enjoyable or important.
>>
So, piggybacking off this thread because what I have to say doesn't warrant it's own thread, how important is FINISHING a drawing? Everyone says "draw everyday", but when I draw a dozen unfinished construction frameworks and get discouraged because my anatomy is dogshit, does that still 'count', or should I buckle down and force myself to complete at least one of them despite my eyes telling me that What I'm doing is wrong at a fundamental level?
>>
>>2834536
you force yourself to do it faggot...
after about a month you get use to doing it and it becomes habit. now get to it!
>>
>>2834542
Pomodoro technique, google it.
>>
>>2835101

Doesn't work, can attest. Military is good at providing an external motivator (do it or you're fucked). It does fuckall for internal motivation (do it because you promised yourself you would).

It's essentially a different sort of discipline. Internal discipline is a fuckton harder to learn, since it's very easy to justify not doing things.
>>
>>2836056
You should finish at least some of your works otherwise you will never put yourself out there.
Learning is a lifelong journey.
>>
>>2834536
I just left my tablet connected on in fornt off me and thats it
>>
>>2835242
>Used to only draw once every two weeks, now I draw almost every day and I feel guilty when I don't.

This is me. Didn't draw that much growing up because I thought everyone was better than me. Then a year ago, I put on the big boy pants and got to work
>>
>>2836440
I did this, it works 50/50, what you really need is a project. Like homework but assigned by yourself to be done or else you'll just do random stuff like sketches and won't get any better.
>>
>>2836056
Frameworks have the advantage of being focused study with low iteration time, big pieces put things in perspective and show how different parts work with each other, at the cost of more mental energy to hunt out mistakes. I believe that big pieces can be said to almost uniquely teach composition and frameworks uniquely teach speed, but conceptually something that looks like a finished piece to us might be a framework to a greater artist, and it's not like doing big pieces alone won't get you faster at those too.

Every line counts. How much it counts depends on how much you can pick up from it.
>>
Replace masturbation with drawing, easy(<actually is easy, be a grown up)
>>
File: On falling for hype.png (79KB, 1320x319px) Image search: [Google]
On falling for hype.png
79KB, 1320x319px
>>2834536
>>
>>2834536
Stop posting shit on internet.
Draw
take a little rest
Draw
take a little rest

and that's how it goes
>>
>>2835270
huh, not that anon but I like what you say
>>
>>2834542
Stop fapping
>>
Does anyone have that one punch mana edit with drawing everyday ? Thats a pretty cool motivation.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.