[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Art Mentors

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: mastery_greene.jpg (63KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
mastery_greene.jpg
63KB, 600x900px
So I was reading pic related, and besides the 10,000 hours meme the author talks about how crucial it is for people hoping to master a craft to have a good mentor early on in their lives.

I guess this is mostly for people who went to art school but did anyone here happen to find a good art mentor? how did it affect your art path? I guess internet friends can be considered mentors but I'm sure face to face instructors are much more effective if they take you under their wing. Do mentor-less artists reach a different peak than mentored artists?
>>
/ic/ helped me understand the fundies instead of giving me asspats.

That book was talking about stealing your mentor's powerlevel then moving on until you couldn't anymore. In the end, it doesn't really matter if you had a mentor or not if you can manage to find your way around. Author says it's crucial because /beg/inners are lost so a mentor just makes it quicker since they know what you need to do to improve. /ic/ already does that until you get one or two years in. After that, /ic/'s power throttles and you need an actual mentor.
>>
>>2831228
thats funny cuz ic hasnt taught me shit
everyone just says "learn fundies" and expects beginners like me to just get it like OH, YEAH, I KNOW ABOUT THOSE, LET ME GO STRAIGHTAWAY TO LEARNING THEM!
>>
File: 1484966511288.jpg (93KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1484966511288.jpg
93KB, 1024x576px
>>2831235
well that's the price you pay (or save) for avoiding going to art school. learning on your own is twice as hard because you have to work twice: setting your curriculum, self critiquing, setting your deadlines, holding yourself accountable, and THEN also actually putting in the work. In school the teacher does the first half and you just show up and put in the work.

But learning on your own is pretty liberating for people who like going at their own pace and exploring at their own pace as well.
>>
>>2831235
not gonna make it. Perhaps you should listen
>>
File: january-24-2017-3.jpg (633KB, 1000x737px) Image search: [Google]
january-24-2017-3.jpg
633KB, 1000x737px
>>2831222
i had a friend in 3rd grade who was two years older than me that i always spent my time trying to impress. He would give me his doodles and I'd copy them as best I could to try to figure out how he did them. I was doing master studies of a 5th grader. i STILL don't think I'm better than him, and he's not even doing art as anything more than a hobby now as far as i know.

I think an inferiority complex is a good thing to have as an artist. I never feel like I'm good enough, or any good for that matter.
>>
>>2831235
Read sticky, you moron.
>>
>>2831222
This book is awful. You're better off just reading the 48 Laws of Power, which despite being fedora-tippy is at least entertaining.
>>
>>2831271
that's a lie
>>
>>2831447
This, it must be a lie. Brian is superior to everyone, how can someone have been better than him?
>>
>>2831222
Can anyone explain the cover?
>>
capital M
>>
>>2831222
maybe a mentor would be nice but really at this point i just want other motivated drawfags to be around & maybe be inspired by proxy. that was one of the nice things about the sketchbook/forum era, you see other people putting in the work & gitting gud and feel obligated to step it up yourself.

it feels like all the places i used to go are gone or have become so different that i don't even connect to them anymore. even drawfagging on other boards isn't as fun as it used to be. it's just a bunch of posts about how drawthreads are dead & the most of requests seem less interesting.
>>
Having a mentor definitely helps, but finding one is what's difficult. You can pay someone to teach you how to art, but you can't pay someone to be your mentor.

A mentor believes in your potential and actually gives a shit about you. Having professors don't count, it goes beyond someone spending their time on you just because they're getting paid. You have to build rapport with a mentor. So put yourself out there and mentors will come to you.
>>
>>2831222

It's 2017 you don't need mentors, you have internet.
>>
>>2831222
I wouldn't trust that book, its cover is garbage.
>>
>>2831726
So are its contents.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.