[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Drawing in Public

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

File: 723[1].jpg (51KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
723[1].jpg
51KB, 600x800px
Does /ic/ draw in public? Trains or parks perhaps?
>>
I commute two hours every day by train and always draw/paint on the ipad on the ride. Occasionally I will stop by some docks or whatever and do plein airs
>>
>>2828124
Too nervous to take my stuff out and draw my fellow passengers on the tube, London Underground, 45 min journey of reading a book
>>
>>2828129
>45 min
Do you take that trip everyday for work or something? I wish my city had a public train system. Could save a lot of money on gas and wouldn't have to pay loans for a car.

Also just get to sit and relax and do whatever since driving long distances suck ass.
>>
>>2828137
every day for uni, 45 min there and 45 min back
>>
>Tfw almost 2.5-3 hours of total commute time everyday
>tfw too nervous to draw in public transit
Sometimes it's too packed to draw but even when I have my own seat, I just get too nervous. I know most people will just glance at me and then forget about it but idk. I think it's cause I saw this middle aged black dude drawing in a sketchbook on the train a year ago. He looked pretty serious so I assumed he was a pro and went to peek at his sketchbook. Unfortunately he was doing 3rd grade tier anime symbol drawings in a huge sketchbook and it kinda seemed like all the passengers around him were judging him. I still remember that dude a year later cause his work seemed so cringy and I feel like the same shit might happen to me.
>>
>>2828140
That's not bad at all. I would definitely use that time in between to draw for a bit.
>>
I'll draw anywhere, I don't care what strangers think, I want to get good
>>
>>2828124
Yeah. Almost always on the train and I try to draw as long as I feel I've got time to sit down and got pen/paper.

And I've got a dedicated A6 sketchbook that I always have on my person whenever I leave the country and use as a complimentary to a camera.

I've never felt that people have been judgemental or acted mean towards me for drawing in public. And even if most ignore me, sometimes people are curious and ask about it. Which I don't mind much at all as long as they are nice about it.
>>
>>2828124
I'd be tempted to do something like that but I worry the way people would react if the saw an stranger i looking at them each 4 minutes while writing things on a notebook.
>>
>>2828181
What do you say when they ask?
>>
>>2828124
I always have a notebook with me to draw when I'm out but get too scared because people might look over to see what I'm drawing and see my shit art.
>>
File: IMG_2581.jpg (29KB, 570x479px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2581.jpg
29KB, 570x479px
I hate people hounding me as soon as they see me drawing. Leave me alone you goddamned normies.
>>
>>2828124
I am not an art student so I spend a lot of time doing non-art stuff, so I have to find ways to find time to draw.

I have a notepad sketch book I keep in my pocket to sketch people on the train. I sometimes bring my watercolor supplies to go do paint in the park. If I have my headphones on, rarely do I get people annoying me.
>>
>>2828473
What kind of watercolor do you use? Been wondering if this basic set is good enough or do I need to expand to actually out of the tube paints.
>>
File: IMG_7955.jpg (521KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7955.jpg
521KB, 1000x667px
>>2828475
I use tube paint and make my own cake by using an aluminum palette that holds little rectangles that are for holding dried paint. Winsor Newton is a decent brand. When it comes to paint, you get what you paid for.

Don't buy cheap tube paint because they are often filled with "fillers" that aren't actually paint. Some fillers go bad if you leave it in the tube for too long.

You can find aluminum pans that hold paint pans on Amazon. Search "empty watercolor tin box" and "water color paint pans".
>>
>>2828152
I mean why should you give a shit. Even if they are judging you you'll never see them again. I'm judging you as I type this for being a faggot, will that stop you from being a faggot?

Go and draw.
>>
I think a big part of my improvements this last year come from drawing in the subway.
Time is too precious in this modern world to be wasting it.
I fill sketchbook after sketchbook in public and I dont give a flying fuck if someone sees me doing a shit drawing. At least I have balls.
>>
>>2829087
Because I'm a self conscious faggot who cares too much about what other people think and as a result, project my shitty insecurities onto others and imagine the worst possible outcomes of even the most simple situations.
>>
>>2828483
not this >>2828475 guy, but how important are good quality brushes? will cheap synthetics really put you far behind more expensive sables?
>>
>>2829995
For watercolor most people prefer kolinsky sable. For gouache, use stiffer brushes like synthetic brushes because gouache paint is thicker. Like tube paint, you get what you paid for with brushes.

For watercolor, I use size 3, 5 and 7. I use size 3 the most because I was trained through Atelier method so I render a lot using smaller brushes. Bigger brushes are for laying down washes of lighter color. You can use a flat for it, but you can also use a large round.

I currently use kolinsky sable brushes from this company after hearing good things about them in the past. But I haven't bought anything new and the quality might not be the same:

http://www.rosemaryandco.com/watercolour-brushes/pure-kolinsky-sable
>>
>>2830007
Forgot to mention I am using round kolinsky sable, which is the most popular. You can try out with other shapes, but they are not necessary. With round brushes, you can achieve anything the other brushes can.

http://www.rosemaryandco.com/watercolour-brushes/pure-kolinsky-sable/pure-kolinsky-designer

You can probably also find round kolinsky sables at your local art supply if you live near one.
>>
>>2830009
If you are looking for watercolor brushes to paint outdoors, it might be a better idea to get reversible brushes or pocket brushes. Other brands sell them too, but here is one on Rosemary and Co website:

http://www.rosemaryandco.com/watercolour-brushes/pocket-reversible
>>
>>2828124
If you're good it's as disrespectful as taking a pictures of someone with your camera. So no.
>>
>>2830018
>namefag
Opinion discarded
>>
>>2828464
>wow ur really good!!
>can u draw me!?
>i wish i was born wit da talent
>>
File: HNI_0010.jpg (105KB, 800x480px) Image search: [Google]
HNI_0010.jpg
105KB, 800x480px
i try to do some digital plein air stuff every day. still perfecting the setup though. i haven't figured out a good way to work in harsh daylight yet. i'd like to start using my phone for this since it has better color but i still have figured out how to deal with the glare yet
>>2828152
if you're that self conscious, just draw on your phone, you'll look like every other person using public transit
>>
I used to drarw a little in public (buses, benches, etc). Everytime someone started a conversation, which made me embarrassed, and I stopped

I'm too self concious now I can barely draw at home if someone's in the same room (I know it sounds odd as fuck but I don't feel comfortable knowing someone stares over my shoulder or at my monitor). I barely even leave the house anymore

I hate feeling this way /blog
>>
>>2830379
huh? That's sounds quite cool to me to be honestly... You could make friends that way.
>>
>>2830379
>can't draw if someone's in the same room
Holy shit I thought it was just me. I'm the same way anon. I can only really focus on drawing late at night cause I know no one will walk in then.
>>
I want to be able to draw full nude figures anywhere. Any experience with making yourself not look like a pervert to those FILTHY FUCKING NORMIES?
>>
>>2830379
I do the same thing and nobody says shit to me. you're either really danm good or I'm exceedingly shit
>>
Yep, I draw people all the time. On trains, buses, in cafes and any time I have to sit down really.

Dunno what you're all talking about having people come up to you, has never happened once to me.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.