[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Demise of CA.org

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 1482101484269.jpg (509KB, 1920x1152px) Image search: [Google]
1482101484269.jpg
509KB, 1920x1152px
/ic/, what happened to CA.org in the late 2000s that led to it's eventual demise?

Links/more stories would be appreciated.
>>
>>2825171
Faggots, photobashers and backstabbing jerks
>>
>>2825171
shitty UI
>>
Feng Zhu
>>
>>2825171
Jason Manley went full Jew. Never go full Jew.
>>
>>2826197
>>2826703
Can you elaborate?

>>2826207
For whatever reason that used to be the norm across these sites. CGSociety wasn't any better.
>>
>>2826815

Not that poster, but the UI as it is today is worse than the default BB forum UI. The only good change was multi file upload, but the folder system is garbo. For reference, I think permanoobs is easier to navigate/upload to than CA.org is today. The extra bells and whistles on top of the bare-bones forum experience should be gotten rid of.

The real killer of CA.org was the signal-noise ratio changing for worse as the site got popular and people started joining just to replicate algen/rapoza/min yum/etc's sketchbooks and try to get efamous without interacting with other users.

>>2826711

Manley began selling out at about the same time the aforementioned artists became well known pros, hoping that using their success as a lure would draw in artists. Drama ensued and in multiple waves quality forum goers left. The end result being a broken and mostly useless paid lesson plan and a desolate sketchbook section. The remaining active posters are a lot of guys with 1000+ posts, empty sketchbooks, and more interest in forum posting/drama than working.

If you want a new CA.org, make a simple BB code forum with only 2-3 boards, probably finished work, sketchbooks, and art discussion/off topic. Id also discourage people from talking about the club outside the club besides in private. Community challenges/contests would also be a decent idea but should only be one board and only one per week so participation isnt split in 5+ ways.
>>
>>2826842
>Community challenges/contests would also be a decent idea but should only be one board and only one per week so participation isnt split in 5+ ways.

This sounds like Polycount's hard surface modeling challenge which (imho) works well for them.

I haven't been to permanoobs before - looks interesting. Any other sites like this that have come out since?
>>
>>2826842
>If you want a new CA.org, make a simple BB code forum with only 2-3 boards, probably finished work, sketchbooks, and art discussion/off topic

This is what I was originally hoping LAS would turn out to be instead of the cancerous shit that it ended up being. Just a simple forum with focus on a weekly and a daily drawing challenge.
>>
>>2825171
OP's pic is clever considering his topic.
>>
>>2825171

Looking back, it's difficult to understand just how big CA was back in the day. Even for those of us who were there. It almost singlehandedly made concept art mainstream and turned top artists into rockstars.

CA is not dead, it just smells funny. It's alright for running a sketchbook, mostly because there are no substitutes these days - tumblr, Facebook etc don't replace the experience of interacting on BBS. Permanoobs and crimson daggers are even worse. Chat is active, there's good people hanging around (David Briggs, owner of huevaluechroma.com is still active). It's just a shadow of a speck of its former self, much lower average skill level, people don't participate in community threads, none of the giants of the industry are left. I left the site before the meltdown, but from what I've gathered, what happened was due to cult of personality problems and unprofessionalism. Jason Manley, the owner of the site, capitalized on the sites growth with design and academy startups, recruiting top talent for advertising and teaching. He didn't get along well with artists like Marko Djurdjevic and Brad Rigney behind the scenes. It's not entirely clear what exactly tipped the scales, but he ran an aggressive banning and censorship policy against any criticism, didn't pay enough royalties or didn't give credit where credit was due. So Marko and other bigshots left and took a huge chunk of the site with them. There's little to no mention of this in the site, it's all been quieted down.

In retrospect these guys probably should have solved their problems in court instead of making crybaby blog posts and causing schisms in the online user base. people felt pressured to ditch CA because their heroes were. I don't give a fuck about Jason or Marko or anyone. Brad and TAD reached some kind of settlement behind the scenes and he removed his popular blog post.
>>
"
Marko Djurdjevic: "After I just tried posting this over on Conceptart.org, I had to find out I had been secretly removed from the site, as the owner seems to be afraid about what people can say about him:

Hey all,
just to give you a heads up. I haven't participated in conceptart.org since December, since I disagree with Manley's politics on here, his ways of misinforming people and banning policies. I'm sick of watching one man take credit for other peoples achievements, claiming to be the benevolent benefactor behind everything. Conceptart.org never was a Non-Profit company, and I'm disgusted that people have been lied to about this for so long. I no longer wish to be associated with such propaganda, and I want to publicly distance myself from Manley and CA. I made a lot of friends on these boards over the years, and you're all invited to come and talk to me on facebook or email ([email protected]) but I don't want to have anything to do with the site's owner anymore, since the relationship has gone toxic.

If you want to spread the info, go to the site and post. I and my other Friends are restricted"

"After finding that it had been clear for months that none of the MB guys would teach at TAD and how Jason had kept it a secret to have people still signing up who wanted to be taught by them, and finding out that he claimed the success and careers of Karla, Nonie, even Wes and Marko to be his achievement, Jana and me decided that it would be better not to have anything to do with it, and we made a thread in the TAD forum stating that we are stepping back from our scholarships and will not be involved in TAD at all.
However, he simply deleted our posts tpages"
>>
File: IMG_1056.jpg (2MB, 510x5786px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1056.jpg
2MB, 510x5786px
>>
Transcript of Brad Rigney's original DA post: http://www.polykarbonbbs.com/showthread.php?t=31099
>>
>>2827128

you beat me to it. I love you.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.