[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Clutch pencil worth it for penciller?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: clutch.png (2MB, 1244x1034px) Image search: [Google]
clutch.png
2MB, 1244x1034px
Am I wasting my time working with an eraser-less pencil if a Pentel Twist-Erase always gives me my best results?

My drawing instructor has pushed me to use a clutch pencil since he claims it has “saved him as a professional artist” and feels every drawing outside of class I do should be with a clutch pencil to develop faster skills.

I haven’t improved much with a clutch pencil in two years and I find it tiresome to constantly point my lead.
>>
I just got some of those too op. I like them. I'm self taught so I can't relate to having rules dictated to me but if it works, keep using it.
>>
And how exactly did a lead holder "save him" / how is it going to help you improve faster? It sounds like your instructor is just full of shit tbhq. It's still only a pencil, use whatever you like best.
>>
It's a meme.
>>
>>2824366
Tools are just tools, if you're good you can do great things with a random chunk of charred wood. Do whatever you want, if you don't like the clutch pencil then don't use it.

Also pentel with thick twist erase is based pencil. I've got one in 70s brown got me through 8 years of university :D
>>
File: 1469282556114.png (56KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1469282556114.png
56KB, 225x225px
>>2824366
I've been using Pentel twist-erases for everything since high school.
>>
I've got a Mars Technico and it's my favorite pencil, though I pair it with a regular lead pencil for detail work. My leadholder's lead is generally pretty dull and I use it for lay-ins and loose drawings.

At the end of the day, just use the tools you're most comfortable with. I think there's some merit in lead holders because it lets you do an overhand grip pretty easy compared to a regular lead pencil and doesn't require sharpening like a standard pencil, but it's all preference.
>>
>Not going to make it

You need to experiment and listen to yourself.

>Using a mechanical pencil for drawing
See first greentext
You need some thickness for line variance. 2mm lead holder is my sweet spot.

>Blaming the tools for your lack of development
See first greentext.

Try using pic related to hone your tips. If you don't have the stamina to sharpen your tools, take up stamp collecting perhaps.
>>
>>2824366
>sticker not removed
Triggered. You can remove glue residue with rubbing alcohol.

Anyway; no rules, just tools. There's nothing wrong with mechanical pencils. If you like using them you may as well get a few more for different lead grades. A set of 0.3mm, 0.7mm, and .09mm pencils with your favorite lead grades is a good idea too.

I have a fuckton of mechanical pencils and the Twist-Erase is my favorite for writing. The rubber grip has a little bit of play with the barrel which I can't stand, but a strip of 1" Scotch masking tape wrapped around the barrel makes the grip mate perfectly.

>>2824673
There's no reason to sharpen a pencil constantly if all you want is a sharp piece of graphite.
>>
>>2824554
post line art
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.