[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The best tip you ever received

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

For me it was value before color tip. Master values first.
>>
>>2824197
Loomis' fun with pencil. I was finally able to draw a face decently with only a day of study.
>>
Draw what you see not what you know
>>
>>2824197

Loosen up.

Also gesture/proportion > anatomy. This is something I instinctively knew, but I was in a huge art block at a point where I was drawing super stiff figures and pieces due to focusing heavily on anatomy. I'de go as far as to say most things are more important than anatomy, but that's debatable.
>>
>>2824236
Yeah, literally no one cares that much about anatomy while gesture says a lot of things. Well, extreme accuracy in general isn't required.
>>
>>2824236
>>2824262
how can you do gestures when you dont know anatomy? unless you dont mind oversized heads or other crap like that, which you should
>>
>>2824274
That is proportion. Proportions, gesture, simplified 3D forms to stand in for anatomy. Then hardcore anatomy studies.
>>
>>2824280
oh right... well then anatomy is optional. You dont have to know muscles or bones to be honest.
>>
>>2824285
You do have to know, at least on the surface.
>>
File: wash_gestures_large.jpg (304KB, 1188x650px) Image search: [Google]
wash_gestures_large.jpg
304KB, 1188x650px
>>2824236
You're fucking retarded. If you don't understand anatomy then your gesture drawings are gonna look like shit. THE CSI curves of the gesture are based on the anatomical rhythm. You don't need to be an EXPERT in anatomy but you need to be aware of the major muscles and anatomical landmarks.
>>
>>2824262
Pretty sure anatomy is one of the most important things in drawing? Are you retarded? You can't execute proper gesture without anatomical knowledge
>>
A client gave me $425 as a thank you. Does that count as a tip?
>>
File: iraglass.jpg (69KB, 516x386px) Image search: [Google]
iraglass.jpg
69KB, 516x386px
>>2824197
>>
>>2824370

Yeah but you can learn the proportions and relationships of the masses of the body without formal study of anatomy per se. Just doing a lot of figure drawing and copying good artists can give you a great sense of proportion and gesture which goes a long way.
>>
>>2824372
You need to know everything, but I consider intricate details of anatomy to be trivial in enhancing the aesthetic values. Maybe we just have different taste in art, I don't like nude art to begin with.
>>
>>2824197

[b]Draw what's easy for you to draw.[/b]
>>
>>2824394
I agree with the rude as fuck anon desu. It's not an either or situation though, so why limit yourself like that?
>>
File: 1473342143446.jpg (80KB, 625x469px) Image search: [Google]
1473342143446.jpg
80KB, 625x469px
"git gud"

when I once asked in a question thread, thank you to whoever said this to me.
>>
>>2824370
oh god my dick!
>>
File: Bz0mT2rCEAA2EP9.png (255KB, 600x298px) Image search: [Google]
Bz0mT2rCEAA2EP9.png
255KB, 600x298px
>>2824370

What? I never said you shouldn't understand anatomy to gesture draw or otherwise, but there's a huge level of anatomical knowledge that's clearly detail, and you can get by/make decent gesture drawings without really understanding or knowing them. You heavily misconstrued what I was saying, that's the only post I've made in this thread to add.

In either case though, I'm saying the focus of a drawing should be more on proportion and gesture than actual anatomical accuracy, supposing you have knowledge of the three. They all reinforce eachother but the two are more important. knowing how muscle stretches and moves is honestly more important than knowing placement or muscle groups well, and these are picked up from observation honestly.

To further add to my argument , FUCK YOU RUDE ANON, you piece of shit. I hope you stub your stupid fingers next time you type.
>>
>>2824197
color is value
>>
Think in 3D.
>>
>>2825746
Holy shit, this. Once I learned to imagine the page as a 3D space like looking through a window) my perspective skills improved massively.
>>
>>2824197
Why are school art teachers so useless?

Literally the only thing I learned from a teacher and didn't work out myself, from spending the entirety of 8th-11th grade in some special highly acclaimed school art program that I beat out a couple hundred/thousand other kids across the state to get into was 'if you're painting people, always add a little blue'.
>>
>>2825810
school art teachers, lol. I've learned shitton in ateliers
>>
Start simple then work to complex
>>
File: SdGX2oqM.jpg (32KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
SdGX2oqM.jpg
32KB, 480x480px
>>2824197
:^)
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.