[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Online/In-Person art schools

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 1482158782017.jpg (484KB, 760x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1482158782017.jpg
484KB, 760x1000px
So while I did spend the last 2.5 years at an art school, something happened with my health and I had to take this semester off. What I'm worried about is that I might lose my artistic motivation. SO rather than sit and mope around all day about not having anything to look forward to (except getting better)... I wanted to kind of get a scope of my art-education options that I might take advantage of after I get better.

I know of CGMA, Gnomon, Schoolism, and Brainstorm Schools for online classes...but What about ateliers or maybe online ateliers? I am in Michigan if that helps.

Anyway I'm probably looking for having a traditional class and then a digital class. And I just want to lay out my options.
>>
>>2822149
Ateliers are the best option if you want to learn how to draw representational art. The teachers there will actually guide you and tell you why something is off. Ateliers is where you should learn your fundies. Don't do online courses. They're a meme. You already have a ton of tutorials you can find online.
>>
>>2822159
But I thought Ateliers were the meme that don't actually teach you anything but wasting your time with copying. Proko went to an atelier.
>>
>>2822162

It's not "wasting your time", it's just focused on life painting/drawing. So while atelier studies help, they are not focused on imagination stuff. Very few schools teach drawing from imagination to any significant degree. It's very sad that there are pretty much no schools that teach FZD/Scott Robertson/ID style sketching without the design angle. I spent a few years at an atelier, met some well known digital painters there aswell. All of the guys who had serious ability to draw from imagination had learnt that skill on their own time. The atelier training helped them do nicer studies from life, and make their values and edge work in their digital paintings a bit tighter but that's about it. There were several students in the atelier that produced stunning drawings from life but were average or /beg/ tier when drawing from imagination.
>>
>>2822162
Ateliers are for fundies. Take one or two life drawing courses there, don't do anything like a 4 year certificate program. Proko doesn't know how to draw a dog because he never drew a dog. But if he were to learn to draw a dog from imagination, he already have the fundies, line, edge, values, and colors, to make the dog look good.

Knowing how to draw dogs is a matter of context not fundies. People who do a lot of figure don't know how to paint landscapes and vice versa. Hitler didn't know how to draw figures, but he made decent landscapes.
>>
>>2822175

Half true. They teach fundies for life painting and life drawing.

Sadly ,they teach very little in the way of fundamentals for sketching from imagination, such as FZD does.
Which is ironic considering a lot of the atelier teachers dream of creating epic paintings which require a significant amount of invention.

At my atelier they did teach a bit of Vilppu stuff and we were encouraged to do it, even had a Repin academy guy over for a workshop but that was like one week out of the whole year. There was no clear focus on it. I know the ateliers in russia place more emphasis on construction but I'm not sure how much they practice pure form sketching from imagination and such.
>>
>>2822159
I was definitely thinking of taking an atelier. But I don't know of any good ones in my area let along close enough to not do a 4hr commute anywhere.

How long are atelier sessions for? A month? A few months?
>>
>>2822179
Sketching from imagination is not a fundy, it is a matter of context. Schools don't teach you how to draw horses, chickens, dinosaurs, and etc. They teach fundamentals. Sketching from imagination is about subject matter. If you have the fundies to make the subject look good, you can learn to draw anything.
>>
>>2822181
Depends on where you live. The one closer to me have workshops that last different times and the artist. The more accomplished the artist, the more he charges and less days you will work. The less accomplished artists, such as those who graduated from the certificate program will be cheaper and usually have a programs that run twice or once weekly for one or two months.

Just Google for Ateliers near you. If you can't find any. Buy a good lamp, and set up your own still life to draw and make it as accurate as possible.
>>
>>2822191
What are the standards for a good lamp?
>>
>>2822194
Any lamp bright enough will do. Maybe 100 watt or more LEDs, don't use tungsten because they are too orange, are shit, and not efficient. You usually want an adjustable lamp that has a stand and can be moved up and down to adjust angle that the light comes in from.

Also, buy some black foam boards to cover certain areas to prevent excessive and unnecessary reflections. Buy some large cloths of different colors to play around with different colored and intensity of reflected lights. Or you can use old t-shirts. Incorporating fabric is usually an easy way to set up some interesting still life. Make the composition look nice since you will be spending a long time on it.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/elmers-blackcore-foamboard/
>>
>>2822185

100% wrong my friend.

Drawing from imagination is a separate skill set from painting and drawing from life.

Painting and drawing from life alone will NOT teach you how to draw from imagination.
It helps to build your visual library for sure. But it does not teach how to effectively draw from imagination. This has been proven over and over again.

Form sketching (what FZD and Robertson etc. teaches, essentially what KJG means when he talks about boxes) is an example of the most important "fundy" for drawing from imagination and ateliers in general do not teach this to any notable extent.
What you are talking about is anatomy.
>>
>>2822205
You have no idea what you're talking about. I'll end the discussion there. I'm not here to help you. You can believe whatever you want.
>>
>>2822208

Hi Proko
>>
File: 1473383709007.jpg (80KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1473383709007.jpg
80KB, 900x900px
>>2822261
hi anon
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.