[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking for a forum thread

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 5

File: wallhaven-408603.jpg (697KB, 1800x1273px) Image search: [Google]
wallhaven-408603.jpg
697KB, 1800x1273px
My friend told me there is a German guy learn making entertainment illustration in a year.

He posted his practice and work in a single thread.

he started from total beginner and after a year he reach the level of industry.

Do anyone know the thread ? thank you~
>>
>>2822088

I predict this thread will attract dangerous levels of sodium.
>>
>>2822100
>sodium
Sorry, I dont get that.
I am non native English user
>>
>>2822100
you mean salty?

>>2822088
i hope you're not trolling cause i wanna know who the guy is.
>>
>>2822088
This is why drawing from imagination is superior.
>>
>>2822106
This thing is real and I did see the tread
So sad I lost the link.
>>
>>2822088
algenpfleger?
>>
>>2822124
sounds like it
>>
>>2822126
then no it took him 3 years.
>>
>>2822124
algenpfleger was never good to begin with
>>
Probably Alpenfelger but yeah it took him 3 years.

>>2822774
No one said he was good to start with.

It takes with lot of practice around 3 years as a rule on /ic/ to get gut

Even Miles got good enough after 3 years
>>
>>2822774
Well, 99.9% of the human population that isn't salty amateur artists will disagree with you on that one.
>>
Did anyone take screencaps of the thread? I wanna see it
>>
>>2822942
This
>>
Where can I see this alpenfleigers work?
>>
>>2823032
Google
>>
>>2823035
Nothing came up
>>
>>2823039
Probably because you spelled his name wrong
>>2822124
>algenpfleger
>>
Nvm was misspelling
>>
Pictures don't show up anymore, but I remember this thread from way back when. He also offered great advice.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php/114449-Algenpfleger-learns-to-draw-(He-really-does!)-2014-New-Sketchbook!
>>
>>2823419
Damn 290 pages?? Where's the good stuff?

Surely his thread on /ic/ must've been saved in the 4plebs archive rite?
>>
what's a good forum to go to now? I've heard CA is pretty dead. The only other ones I know are crimson daggers but I think Dave abandoned it and then there's Permanoobs. Are those two any better? What are some communities I should be looking into? I hear facebook has a bunch but I don't have a facebook and the communities I've seen (like levelup) seem to be over saturated with people which works against forming a strong community.
>>
>>2822088
>>2822785
>>2823419

Any cliffnotes version of his story?
>>
>>2823591
Just look at his current work. It's not all that impressive. So you're probably not missing anything looking through his old shitty work. Actually I think it was mostly studies of photos.
>>
>>2823594
My impression of all the forums you mentioned were that it is mostly noobs who are total shit and they just give encouragement to each other. Nothing wrong with that. But not going to be very helpful in making progress. It's more like keeping a diary that other people can look through. Waste of time. Probably an inevitability with how many people are online now. Gets reduced to shit quality just like the rest of the internet. Probably best bet is to make friends with artists you admire and who have similar tastes. Form a secret forum/discord/facebook group. Never tried it. Too autistic and down on myself and my shit.
>>
>>2823594
Forums are a thing of the past man, it's all about blogs now or social media. So that's Facebook, Instagram, Tumblr, Reddit, and whatever else.
>>
>>2822104
Sodium is a chemical that has high concentration in salt, he is saying people are going to be salty (salty is slang for angry, frusterated, butthurt)
>>
>>2823604
Not the poster you are asking. But, I don't think anything is ever going to match CA.org in its early days. It was surprising how much it took off, then it got flooded with Deviant dweebs who back then were like cancer, now it seems alright... sort of. But, yeah, it started this whole thing and it died with it. There was controversy for a while then to make it a secret community where had to provide a portfolio and a letter to be accepted into it. It fell through though.
>>
>>2823594
People use discord, /ic/ has like three of them. There's deviantart groups too.
>>
>>2823597
He had a friend on their with him and they both worked together. She ended up getting a job with 7 More Vodka which is owned by Marko Djurdjivic another great that came out of CA.org. Anyway, he was just known for being very casual yet precise on the way he did his studies, got it down to a science.
>>
>>2823625
>Anyway, he was just known for being very casual yet precise on the way he did his studies, got it down to a science.
Explain and how /ic/ can apply this to their own artwork
>>
>>2823622
I've been to all of them and their all kind of weak. People shit post more than they draw and there isn't much useful feedback given to people. The main one also has too many people in it which just adds to the lack of art and abundance of memery. I've also used a couple of smaller discords but they all end up dying off and even when they are going, you'd have people posting work but everyone would just ignore it and keep shitposting. I'm a social retard like this anon >>2823604 tho so maybe it's better for me to avoid them anyway.
>>
>>2822088
wow when did females learn to build stuff?
>>
>>2823630
Yeah, the problem is probably with you anon, so, it's sucks to say, but you just got to get good and hang out with artists in the real world.
>>
>>2823626
I have a bunch of his practice sketches saved. It's really not anything crazy, just loads of practicing things like Loomis or drawing from ref. I think he uploaded a lot of his practice to show people what he did and how hard people should work, lemme see if I can find the link........found it. Here it is.

http://algenpfleger.deviantart.com/gallery/27635231/Tons-of-practice
>>
>>2823633
The discords are all shit, how is the problem with him?
>>
>>2823626
Sorry I wish I could, most of what he did is taught in tutorials and online classes all over the place now. He didn't just practice but from what I remember when he did a paintover thread and critiqued others art along with his friend... They seem to be very into analyzing a painting and the lighting and composition, and explaining what they would do for it.

Another good thread that inspired many in CA was by MindCandyMan which you can see his thread here preserved... He won't more of the FineArt route, not really what you guys want to do, but it goes to show what hard work can do for you.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php/870-Journey-of-an-Absolute-Rookie-Paintings-and-Sketches

Shit all of this makes me want to dig back into the CA archive and dig up all the stuff that inspired me.
>>
File: bgamer.jpg (75KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
bgamer.jpg
75KB, 700x525px
>>2822785
So you're saying I can be gud in 3 years?

I guess there is hope for me
>>
>>2823675
It took him 3 years and he is known for improving freakishly fast and his insane work ethic. I imagine it'll take most of us longer.
>>
>>2823678
What did he do that's so special? Did he have certain exercises?

Was he doing the FZD meme of 16hr days?
>>
>>2823714
He didn't do anything special, anon. He just drew and studied. That's just the normal way. Some just happen to pick it up quicker than others. It's not even like 16 hours, it's just how much you want it and how much you enjoy it. Five to six hours a day is enough to improve a ton in three years.
>>
>>2823714
He drew a lot, that's really it I think. I posted a link here >>2823634 which shows you most of the stuff he drew from when he was a beginner to the end of his run on CA. It's just a bunch of ref studies, book studies, and imagination sketching. It's just the volume of his studies that helped him improve, you can see he's below beginner thread tier at the start of it all but he just kept grinding like crazy.
>>
>>2823718
Holy butts that guy got somwhere.

I just found an interview he did with some rando on DA... he says he put in close to 12hrs a day

http://algenpfleger.deviantart.com/art/ASKtheARTIST-Interview-350639763
>>
>algenpfleger is good
pic rel is from 2016, its awful, especially considering that he did pieces years ago that were better than this
>>
>>2823606
Sodium is an element in the periodic table.

Table salt is NaCl, Sodium Chloride.

Certain acids can also crystallize into a salt.
>>
>>2823945
Take out the figure and the background is fine.

Actually the figure doesn't really match the background at all. And it looks rushed too.
>>
Algenpfleger is definitely not good. He is very inconsistent, lacks a lot of fundamentals, his perspective is fucked up and his rendering is basic.

I don't know how he gets all those jobs for mtg and that shit, it's really bad. If this is industry standard, then making it means nothing. I can assure you everybody can make it if this is all what you need to get decent money.
>>
>>2824042

I have to agree that his work started to look less aesthetic than it used to be.
Of course with the deadlines and all , a lot of artist rush through their work and don't really bother with it.

But I think it's a bit far fetched when you guys say he is not good.
>>
>>2824063
Too me he never was good to begin with, but now he is getting worse and worse. Deadlines are stressful, sure, but I still see some consistency in other artists' work. Algen just gets worse and worse, the best case scenario he is stagnating.
>>
>>2824042
>>2824067
So how long u think it should take someone to git gud?

Seems like our guy Alfen has been at it about 4-5 yrs or so? Isn't that long enough?

Or is it basically 20yrs before I'll ever be gud enuff
>>
>>2824108

4-5 years in training or you mean in general drawing ?

He started practicing from 2007 so that's almost 10 years general.
But he got good enough by the 3rd year so has Miles ( http://miles-johnston.deviantart.com )

Depends on how much hours you put in a day.

If you draw more than 6 hours a day then 3 years and you'll see some very big improvement if you start a total newbie.

To be industry good is up to your style and also the rate you learn.
>>
>>2823634
Still we can see that when he started he was way past the total beginner level
>>
File: tidus-shoopuf-hd.jpg (321KB, 1536x1248px) Image search: [Google]
tidus-shoopuf-hd.jpg
321KB, 1536x1248px
>>2824125
Ah jeez man

I can only fit in 3hrs a day right now... never gonna make it unless I can hit that sweet 6+ hrs
>>
>>2824125
It's sad looking through these beginner threads, sites like deviantart, and even forums where despite all the hard work people put in( hell even when they study their fundamentals) they make very little progress over the years. Yes the more you draw the better you will get, yes studying Loomis will help you make gains but the fact of the matter is if you aren't you will NEVER reach a professional level. You think most professional artists studied loomis for decades before they "git gud" ? No, it only takes a few years. My point is simple, if you been practicing for more than 3 years and you're still shit, then chances are you'll be shit forever, quit wasting your time.
>>
>>2822785
4 years according to interview he did. start of 2008 to late 2011
>>
>>2823621
CA.org was a perfect mix of hugboxing and informed critique, like the antithesis to /ic/
>>
>>2822788
the image you posted, probably something like this in its description
>all from imagination, no ref, 30 minutes sketch, pleb get it :^)
>>
>>2824443
>>2824453
But I'm guessing he went from shit to full digital paintings/concept art over 4 years. Impressive, although very detailed

What if someone just focused on grayscale never bothering with color? Couldn't they reach a similar quality level in 2-3 yrs?
>>
>>2824443
Is that how you feel about your own art, anon?
>>
>>2824441

you'll make it, you'll just take a lot longer to get to an industry-standard level.
>>
>>2826633

Why do you think that focusing on grayscale would shorten the time you need to become good ?

And after that are you planning to draw only in grayscale ?
>>
>>2827012
probably, colors are way too hard
>>
>>2827023

Well if you are not interested in making in then sure ;) good luck. You could probably be a pencil portrait artist or charcoal
>>
>>2827030
Well at the very least I could make webcomics or something

Would be fun to add color, but just getting gud fast would be more encouraging. I figure why not cut out the color in the beginning and just focus on draftsmanship?
>>
>>2827103
You could the first year focus on draftsmanship like you say and then after that do colors.

Yeah if you are into making comics oyu could just learn how to draw and all. I mean artists like David Finsher have their own colorists , etc..

But still the only way to get good is to practice something you're not good at ... so one way or another you'll need to try colors for your own good
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.