[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Motivation thread?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 11

File: qzrvk5im4cay.jpg (176KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
qzrvk5im4cay.jpg
176KB, 1366x768px
Motivation thread?
>>
>>2820647
Never gonna make it.
>>
>> takes a month off
>> starts drawing again for 3 days
>> takes another month off
kys and don't even bother you weakling without character
>>
Muscle memory might be good for basketball or driving your car, but it means shit in illustration
>>
>>2820675

It's probably a vital part in things like inking and penmanship
>>
>>2820676
It1s not useless, but thinking illustration is an automated muscle memory skill is a mistrake, if you are not thinking, you are not an artist
>>
>>2820675
You're taking the quote too literally. He's talking about absorbing concepts that you have to put into practice, like construction, perspective, anatomy, proportions, etc...

Until the logical knowledge from system 2 gets absorbed into your parallel processing of system 1.
>>
I know it can be scary to start on something new. Especially if the last thing you made was your best piece yet. I just want to tell you that not everything you create has to be your best work ever. It's way more important that you keep creating stuff because as long as ideas are popping into your mind, you are the bridge that will bring that idea into this world.
>>
>>2820674
You did that?
>>
The War Of Art if chock full of bon mots and quotable gold nuggets.
>>
>>
>>
>>2820693
>>2820694
>>2820695
>>2820697
I've been looking into reading this but I've heard it gets into "muses and angels" for a large portion and its not something that my beliefs as an artist quite align with. Is it still worth reading/ listening to anyway?
>>
>>2820717
It's merely a metaphor for your passion- and he makes it clear he's using a metaphor. In any case, the book is so short that I would not overthinking it, just read it.

He uses a dragon as a metaphor for "resistance" which is the biggest concept in the book- the forces that we use to prevent us from doing the work- procrastination, overresearching, etc...

Read "Do The Work" first- it'll take you half an hour to read that book. Then "war of art" which will take an hour, maybe an hour and a half.
>>
File: book34.png (101KB, 1912x1080px) Image search: [Google]
book34.png
101KB, 1912x1080px
Here's the first 3 pages of Do The Work (the layout appears confusing but that's because I added columns to my epub reader just to show you. the first column on the left is the first page, middle is page 2, right is page 3. the actually book is formatted normally.
>>
>>2820735
Cool, thanks, dude! I'm off to make peace with the dragon and become productive. Good luck everyone
>>
>>2820647
This, from the man who acted like enough of a fucking annoying child that he's been blacklisted by the entire animation industry.

Not saying it's not good or anything, just he could take some of his own advice and man the fuck up about working with others.

Or maybe finishing that animation he had kickstarted.
>>
>>2820755
But john's advice is about learning to draw- which he has been doing professionally since the 70s.

john is mostly a piece of shit but the motehrfucker can draw.
>>
>>2820755

Can you give tldr on what exactly he did?
>>
>>2820821

The show came to garner high ratings for Nickelodeon,[1][25][27][28][29] and at the time was the most popular cable TV show in the United States,[30] but the network disagreed with Kricfalusi's direction of the show, and disapproved of his missed production deadlines.[29][31] Kricfalusi points specifically to the episode "Man's Best Friend", which features a violent climax where Ren brutally assaults the character George Liquor with an oar, as being the turning point in his relationship with Nickelodeon.[32] One of the episodes, "Nurse Stimpy", did not meet Kricfalusi's approval[33] because of the low quality of the rough cut of the episode that they received from the overseas studio, leading him to use the alias Raymond Spum in its credits.[34] Nickelodeon fired Kricfalusi from production of the series in late September 1992,[29][35] leaving it to Nickelodeon's Games Animation studio, which continued producing it for three more seasons before its cancellation.[36]

Thing about John K is that he pushed boundaries a little too hard at times
>>
>>2820851

Oh ok, it's John K. I never knew his full name, just remember reading his blog for art tips like 10 years ago. Seemed like a kinda edgy and opinonated guy
>>
File: motivation.png (443KB, 1194x1080px) Image search: [Google]
motivation.png
443KB, 1194x1080px
>>
File: motivation2.jpg (53KB, 500x419px) Image search: [Google]
motivation2.jpg
53KB, 500x419px
>>
>>2820693
>>2820694
>>2820695
>>2820697

Own Art of War and Do The Work. Can confirm book is page after page of telling you shut up and man up.
>>
>>2820876
War of Art*
>>
File: 1478012836709.jpg (11KB, 236x227px) Image search: [Google]
1478012836709.jpg
11KB, 236x227px
>>2820647
>>
File: plant.jpg (115KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
plant.jpg
115KB, 550x550px
>>2820851
Christ.

>>2820735
Good on you anon. The realm of "self-help" books has been denigrated over the years by both scammy bullshitters like Tim Ferris and by the pop culture.

Hopefully anyone in /ic/ who hasn't opened one of these yet can get a better glimpse at what they are about.

In truth, these books are more aligned with analyzing ways to approach thinking in a conducive and positive way. Some books like War of Art by Pressfield deal directly with getting things done (i'll come back to this in a moment), some deal with how to work with others - Six Thinking Hats by De Bono and Dale Carnegie classic on Win Friends & Influence People. Some deal with negative internal monologues like The Four Agreements.

These books do have great ways to steer your thinking forward, but by themselves will not make you successful. The people around me who are very successful are very much aware of the influence of self-psychology - whether it's working or doing a business deal around work. They have no qualms with reading through these because they tend to be curious and inquisitive by nature. But this is completely tangential to their success.

You will have to develop a philosophy around your work, your working schedule and how you perceive yourself, to be successful both in what you create and in working with others. There's relatively little maneuvering here.

You'll never have a bullet proof method of getting in the zone. It's always a push and pull. Stephen King's wife gave an interview awhile back where she said that King tends to pace around swearing while giving himself a pep talk that he needs to sit down and start working.

But cultivate the discipline over time and you'll make it. I struggled with this in my early 20s when I was trying to find a job. I know people in their 30s who still haven't fostered a good mental attitude to their work - they have a laundry list of excuses as to why they haven't done anything in the past 10 years with their lives.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.