[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it better/worth it to try to improve line control through

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Solution.png (19KB, 344x276px) Image search: [Google]
Solution.png
19KB, 344x276px
Is it better/worth it to try to improve line control through boring exercises, or will it just come naturally if I draw a lot? For those who have struggled with line control in the past, what helped you to improve? I find it very frustrating to try to draw when my lines won't come out right.
>>
>>2817012
It is worth it, but it's beginners get bored of it quickly, so it's easier to tell them to just draw something.
>>
Yes. Five, ten minutes every (other) day before you start, make circles, parallel lines, ellipses, and curves focusing on repetition of form.
>>
>>2817012
just use photoshop retard

industry standard

industry

s
t
a
n
d
a
r
d
>>
>>2817015
Basically this.
Don't be a super autist and grind line control exercises for hours a day. Just use them as a warmup.
>>
>>2817015
5-10 minutes for each, or for all of it? Does doing just that little bit each day really help? Thank you to everyone for the responses so far.
>>
>>2817029
>>2817015

Ignore the autists. It will come naturally.
>>
>>2817527
Well now I'm just confused. I don't know who to believe!
>>
>>2818078
believe whatever you want to believe
>>
I personally felt I started learning more about precision and line control by inking actual drawings.
>>
>>2818078

I'd say stick to them as warm ups unless you're a complete beginner.

Just make sure to actually apply them when you draw. By that, I mean figuring out where a line should go and end before actually making a mark and then ghosting that planned path.
>>
>>2817012
> For those who have struggled with line control in the past

So you think line control is an issue only 'some' artists have? Boo hoo, my lines are fucked up ... get over yourself. Everyone has their issues; AH takes hours to do sketches, Jim Lee had problems drawing animals, KJG isnt that comfy working with a lot of colors. We arent computers that generate perfect pieces all the time. Even the most talented artists wake up and generate piles of shit. What makes it out are the least shitty.

Most line artists have a warmup routine where they just do lines and circles. Some do it for 15 minutes, others can take much longer. Sometimes there are whole days that are a wash.

Listen, if you're going to stop every time some line doesnt go the way you want, just put your pencil down and get a degree in business or something else. Part of being an artist is working past your imperfections/mistakes to finish the piece.
>>
>>2817012
definetely do exercises... sometimes I feel like people dont understand how the human brain works... what you are doing when you do those repetetive practices is reminding your subconscious brain how it should be drawing these lines and that is strait and accurate... the more you do this the stronger those memories become till eventually you will barely even need to do warmups although I say 5-10 minutes is worth it hell do gestures and stuff as well really nail that shit into your memory anon makes things 1 million times easier when you can draw strait lines curves hell eventually even perspective boxes without so much as a glaring thought because your subconscious is doing all the hard work.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.