[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Erik Olson Perspective Grind

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

I've seen the Erik Olson course mentioned numerous times as a foolproof way to increase perspective skills for newbies. Has anyone done this whole course?

I think it's a series of 16 total courses from New Master's Academy but they're on cgpeers(last I checked) and they cover tons of perspective exercises. I remember one anon in a recent thread was grinding through and only a few months into the process but said he saw major improvements.
>>
File: buttsmall.jpg (252KB, 930x1283px) Image search: [Google]
buttsmall.jpg
252KB, 930x1283px
bamp
>>
I got to end of chapter 3 and saw no need to continue because
1. I'm only interested in character/character design
2. I know I'll never use 80% of what's he lectures
3. I can just use sketchup...in fact as I was going through his course I attempted each lecture in sketchup and finished faster by throwing a draw filter after
4. I take a college class on it instead it'll be more practical application

but the first 3 sections were eye opening and he is the best at explaining the concepts I just am not going to exhaust my autism on it
>>
>>2815202
I have, it's worth doing most of it. It's boring as hell but if you want to learn perspective it's the best thing I've found out there.
>>
>>2815992
How long did you practice it for? Some say they get through it in a few months, others recommend practicing the exercises for close to a yr

I've tried Scott Robertson's book and it is useful, but it feels like it's missing a lot. These lessons caught my eye but I can imagine they are insanely boring

I'm willing to do whatever it takes to improve tho
>>
>>2816023
I did perspective a lot for 6 months, using the tutorials as lessons and applied to create original and fan art. People think it's boring and sure, it is, but without perspective and anatomy you'll always be a noob artist. It's like riding a bike, once you know that shit you don't have to relearn it.
>>
>>2815202
I started it this month and just finished the second course. It's really helpful because the guy explains everything until it's virtually nailed to your memory, but personally it's quite mentally exhausting because it takes so long (over 90 hours).

>>2815900
I heard from someone that he starts the figure stuff in lecture 8
>>
>>2816044

He drops the figure stuff. He touches on it, bounces off. Although in the unreleased 17, he's going back into it.

I ran through the whole series in about a month and a half. It was all I did from waking up until I stopped work at about 7 pm.

Naturally I know a lot more than I did going in and I have all the lectures noted out and drawn, but I haven't actively applied them yet. I just finished about two weeks ago.

It's a rough run through and a LOT of information. He repeats it constantly because he comes from a classroom teaching style of, well, repetition. It's definitely mentally exhausting.

Scott Robertson's book is a great reference guide to accompany the material. His book isn't very good in a stand alone way. It really feels like "How To Draw" is meant to be a complimentary to having a general basis of perspective, the cone, and grid construction.

Anyway. It's cool. Long fucking process, but it's cool.
>>
I feel like it's too much. You really only need to know the basic stuff you can learn from Vandruffs course or perspective made easy and then Robertson. I haven't heard professional or high level artist recommend such an intensive course. I've also seen a few people go through the whole course in about a month or two, taking care to meticulously take note of all the info, and I don't think it's helped them as much as they think. At least not anymore than doing something like Vandruff or any other shorter course on perspective would've done. Give it a shot I guess but the only place I've heard it mentioned is here on /ic/, it's possible that's cause it's a little bit more recent than all the other perspective material but I feel like people have been getting by fine without going so in depth.
>>
>>2816068

OH SHIT. Thanks for this post because it reminds me of something very important.

Even in the 16th installment, Olson has not yet reached teaching 3-point (he dabbles in it but does not devote time to it) and says that his series is only about a third of the way through his planned material.

You absolutely will have to supplement your perspective education with other things. What this anon said is such a good point that I had to add in this extra stuff. It is not an all inclusive course. It is unfinished and exhaustive. You will get a thorough lecture series that fully explains perspective, but you will have to devote time to other material anyway.
>>
>>2816079
Well, that sucks
>>
>>2816079
Shit, is Olson ever gonna release more lessons? I can only find the first 16 sets but man I'd pay for the rest if he's got a full course in the works
>>
>>2816068
What's the Vandruff course you're referencing? Is it his 1994 perspective series?
>>
>>2816116

Don't know. The photo I posted earlier from 17 was a preview dated at like... May 2015.
>>
>>2816120
yup
>>
>>2816189
So what are you going to work on next? Do you think you have a solid enough understanding of perspective or will you go through some other courses?
>>
>>2816189
Damn I hope he puts out something. I do like Scott Robertson's work but it'd be nice to have new stuff

Either Olson or Proko if he ever gets his anatomy course done to focus on other stuff
>>
>>2816199

Sorry the delayed reply. My art is horrible as it is, so I have no choice but to move onto other sources to fill in the blanks.

Primarily "How To Draw". Which is, again, solid but more of a reference guide that requires a basis of perspective to catch on. He goes 0 - 60 if you're not paying attention.

Olson's last few lectures mold very well with "How To Draw", but to get there you still need to do the other, oh, 10 or 11. Which is crazy town.

>>2816265

I've heard talk that Proko wants to host or do a lecture series on Perspective with Vandruff. That would be fantastic.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.